PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the Fight that Never Was

thedrifter
05-03-07, 06:49 AM
Remembering the Fight that Never Was
by Anthony Welsch
KIMT News 3

It's been more than half a century since Kenny Meacham and Chuck Harris served the Marines. Wednesday in Mason City's East Park, the memories of their time flowed like ther river they once crossed in combative fashion during the Korean War.

"Well, it brings back memories, I can see walking across that bridge today," Chuck Harris said.

55 years ago Kenny Meacham and Chuck Harris ran into each other on a bridge much longer and narrow than the foot bridge in East Park. But for today's purposes, it's more than enough to jog a memory.

"Kenny was on the bridge washing his clothes--- I was going home, I was ready to go home, see?" Harris said.

As Kenny's unit washed their clothes in the river blow, laying out to dry. Chuck's crew enjoyed a few beers, while marching their way home.

"Walking down through there and he walked right over my clothes and I was so god damn mad. 35, 40 guys didn't step on it--- he did," Kenny Meacham said.

"Wverybody hung their clothes on the line to dry except this old Iowa farmer," Harris said.

After one mis-step, tempers flared, fists cocked, and the marines gathered around to see a brawl.

"Oh, yeah, they were hollering like hell. The ol' bridge started swinging like this here," the two men said.

But then, just as Chuck put his radio down, ready to turn around and start swinging. Even though today, he admits--- Meacham probably had the upper-hand as a two-time Iowa state wrestling champ.

"Kenny Meachem! It's Chuck Harris! Oh yeah ha!" Harris said.

The two men recognized each other, both graduates of Mason City high school--- just two years apart. They shook hands and hugged right on that Korean footbridge. All around them, even in the water below their Marine units watched in dismay. Their entertainment was quickly simmering into friendship.

"Oh yeah, that's about as good as I had in Korea. We were just talking about the fellas I met over there but nothing like this. This is absolutely unreal," Harris said.

Today, the peace these men found on a bridge thousands of miles away carries more weight than anything in what was nearly a year overseas surrounded by war.

The story will live on, as long somebody is there to tell it.

"Well, if you die before me Kenny I'll sure tell the story... In church. Yeah right, we gotta tell it. Damn right we do." the men said.

Ellie