PDA

View Full Version : Need some Fitness advice

PooleeMari
05-02-07, 10:46 PM
Hey, i am a poolee at RSS Columbia Maryland, shipping out june 4th. Im 6'3" and am 230 at the moment. I know im over the weight limit, but i can run the 1.5 mile in 10:30, get 90 crunches, and i can do 2 pullups, but im working on that. If i ship out to boot and im over the weight limit but still pass the IST, will i still go to PCP? if not, anything more i can do other than running everyday to cut my weight down?

Thanks,
--POOLEE MARI

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-07, 10:55 PM
It is up to your DIs I suppose. But, being over weight does not mean you are going to PCP. It means you will be given less to eat and will spend extra time on the quarter deck. Losing weight before you go is a much better idea. Go to the poolee section and look in the stickys. There is a thread there by Accord. He was a very large individual that lost a ton of weight to enlist. He graduated from boot camp recently and is doing great. If he can do it you can as well.

PooleeMari
05-04-07, 03:14 PM
I got ya, ive just been given the idea that i dont pass the IST with flying colors they are going to send me to PCP. i got everything down for my IST, my running is good, and crunches are better than most of the POOLees at my RSS, but im jsut working on my pullups...do you have any advice on getting them up faster?

killerinstinct
05-04-07, 04:28 PM
we would always do pyramids i copied and pasted it for ya... it will help ya get your pull ups up. Also if you can do too many its good to have a buddy to hold your ankles to help get you to finish the pull ups..

Set/Step 1: 1 pullups/2 pushups/3 situps
Set/Step 2: 2 pullups/4 pushups/6 situps
Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Your first few set are basically a warmup)
Set/Step 4: 4 pullups/8 pushups/12 situps
Set/Step 5: 5 pullups/10 pushups/15 situps
Set/Step 6: 6 pullups/12 pushups/18 situps (Here is where you may fail/max out)

Go down the pyramid:
(or reverse order pyramid)

Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Finish cool down)

Marine84
05-05-07, 06:22 AM
we would always do pyramids i copied and pasted it for ya... it will help ya get your pull ups up. Also if you can do too many its good to have a buddy to hold your ankles to help get you to finish the pull ups..

Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Your first few set are basically a warmup)
Set/Step 6: 6 pullups/12 pushups/18 situps (Here is where you may fail/max out)

Go down the pyramid:
(or reverse order pyramid)

Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Finish cool down)

OH GOOD LORD! That even READS like too much work for me now!

PooleeMari
05-05-07, 12:12 PM
thanks killer, i did that today with help from my friend to get up over the bar, and my back hasnt felt this worked out in a long time

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 10:57 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say "yes."
When we first got to our squad bay, we were all weighed on a scale that weighed everyone 5 pounds over (we know this because the next day when they weighed us again, we were ALL 5 pounds lighter). This didn't mean squat to the DI's, they put everyone who was weighed as "overweight" the previous night as Diet Recruits (BCP).
The problem here is that some of us, or maybe just me, were heavy due to muscle. And because the method of measuring your body fat is extrememly inaccurate, you may still be listed as "fatass" even though you're within standards.
So they weigh you incorrectly, and incorrectly measure your body fat.
Unless you don't care about being a fatass recruit, with stripes all over your PT gear and diet rations, then feel free to stay at your current weight. If this is going to be a self-esteem issue like it is for most people, then lose the damn weight before you go. BCP is one of the most depressing things you can go through. That's why the success rate of BCP Marines in the Fleet is so low, it's a motivation killer.

Get your pull-ups up, though. I can out pull-up you, and I'm a girl. If you need tips, message or email me.

PooleeMari
05-08-07, 03:00 PM
alright, i gotya. Ive been running or doing some type of cardio everyday now, and working on my pullups everyday...and i have 27 days till boot, so i think ill be able to surpass the requirment for me to be 220.