PDA

View Full Version : Second Graders Meet U.S. Marine

thedrifter
05-02-07, 07:45 PM
Second Graders Meet U.S. Marine
by Diana Palotas
photo by Todd Krupa
Published May 02, 2007

Days like this don't come often for second graders. Wednesday in Mrs. Cocilova's class they got to meet a hero, Lt. Chris Keller of the U.S. Marines.

Second grader Sydney Cannioto picked Chris Keller to be her pen pal.

“It's so good to finally meet you," said Keller.

She was writing to him while he was serving in Iraq. When it came time to talk with him in person, Sydney was speechless.

“Are you nervous? It's okay I am nervous too," the lieutenant said.

Sydney had plenty to say in her letters. “I wrote that I go to swimming lessons and that my friends at school are really nice."

Chris got a slice of everyday life while he was far from home. Their new friendship came about because of their moms.

"When she got the first letter from him that was very exciting and she was just thrilled," said Jeanette Cannioto, DeWitt Road teacher in Webster.

Chris Keller attended the school in Webster. His mom asked if the students could write to her son and his unit. "When my guys got those letters they were very very happy..."

Sydney and her class made Chris a quilt, sang songs for him, and had plenty of questions, not just about Iraq.

“Lt. Chris Keller's days in Iraq are supposed to be over. From here he goes back to Camp Pendleton and then leaves the Marines in February 2008," said Cannioto.

After some homemade red white and blue cookies, it was time to say goodbye.

But Sydney still has plenty more to write about.

Ellie