PDA

View Full Version : Marines Receive Pizza Party

thedrifter
05-02-07, 07:42 PM
Marines Receive Pizza Party
Local Pizza Shop Says Thanks To Marines

POSTED: 6:24 pm EDT May 2, 2007
UPDATED: 6:57 pm EDT May 2, 2007
TRENTON, N.J. -- A local pizza parlor owner showed his gratitude to some local Marines who've just returned from Iraq.

Marines from the 3rd battalion, 14th division, recently returned from Iraq.

Wednesday’s chow time meant a special pizza delivery at the United States Marine Corp. Reserve Center in West Trenton.

Rivera Pizza Restaurant in Roslyn, Pa. decided a pizza party would be a treat for those who have been serving the country.

“It’s from my heart that's all, it made me feel good to do it,” Sal Sparacio, owner of Rivera Pizza Restaurant, said. “Was it hard work? Nah. We’re used to making a lot of pizzas.”

“The taste of home is what's most important to the Marines and to the other troops over there fighting,” Chief Warrant Officer Vince DiAntonio said.

They are reservists, professionals and college students who for the past year have trained and then went to Iraq as part of a police-type mission.

“It was a tremendous amount of work. These Marines typically during the course of a day would work 12, up to 18 hours or more,” Maj. Edward Floyd said. “They come back home and they're exhausted right now.”

Pizza is a lot different from what the Marines are used to eating.

“We had pizza once but it was like Iraq brand of pizza and the cheese didn't taste like cheese. So this tastes pretty good right now,” Saurabh Khetan said.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-02-07, 07:58 PM
Troops Dish Out Opinions In Tasty Welcome Home

Mary Stoker Smith
Reporting

(CBS 3) TRENTON More than 100 Marines who recently from Iraq got a tasty welcome home in Mercer County Wednesday.

They all had decisive opinions about just how long American troops should stay in Iraq.

When Sal learned one of his buddies in the 3rd battalion, 14th Marine Regiment was returning from Iraq he wanted to do something special. So he decided to give them a taste of home.

"It feels good," Sal said.

The troops retuned from duty from a seven-month tour of duty in Iraq Anbar province. On Wednesday, they gathered at West Trenton's Marine Corps Reserve Center, they were treated to all the pizza they could eat from Sal's Restaurant complete with curbside delivery.

"They've been eating what we feed them is some box lunches which are typically cold sandwiches," WO Vince Diantonio, U.S. Marine Corps, said.

Although they all agree they are happy to be back to all the comforts of home, the reservists said they do not agree on a time table for troop withdrawal from Iraq, saying if one is set it could make the volatile conditions even worse.

"There's a job that needs to be done over there still and we're not done. So, until it's done then we can talk about pulling out," Ibrahim Kobeissi, U.S. Marine Corps, said.

And another reservist agreed:

"I liken the idea of a concrete withdrawal deadline to going into any place and we'll use Philadelphia since obviously that's our backyard. But going into Philadelphia and saying as of such and such a date and let's pick June 30th. We're simply going to withdrawal all the police from the city and they're going to go away. I mean, obviously I think we all know it would be utter chaos in my opinion," Diantonio said.

On the other hand, some reservists had a different opinion.

"We're just here to do a job. That's it. We signed a contract so," SGT. Keith Cuttino, U.S. Marine Corps, said.

Although the reservists are still settling in, many feel they will be called back to Iraq for another tour of duty.

Ellie