PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Some Help (My Story..)

pvtLayde
05-02-07, 02:52 PM
So heres the story,

Dec 12th, Recruiter SSGT Jackson. Madison Heights, MI.
Contract Signed. Hilton Hotel here I come.

Mind state - "I have no friggen clue what a Marine is, but if this is what's needed to make family proud, show who I am, what I can achieve, then this is what I need to do, to show my family there is something that can come out of me."

Prior To Enlistment - All my friends said I've always been motivated to achieve everything I've always wanted. I'm a fast learner, take things to the fullest extent, and never stop until I get what it is I'm looking for, and I become the best at doing what it is I am trying to achieve. My family, well isn't much of a family, and everything Ive ever done, has never been good enough for the parents. Dad, never knew the man, Step dad, Prior army, and theory - unless I have a job comparable to his, have been working since I was 12, or join the military, i am nothing. Mom - tries to be a mom.. sometimes.

My mind has never been so set on a defined thing. I usually have 18 different things I want to do at once, or what I want to be in life. But on December 13th. This would all change everything for the rest of my life.

Hilton Hotel, Ship Date. December 13th 2005.
4am. - Chow, 5am - Phys. till 10am., 10am Paper Signing, 1030am Briefing and Swearing In. 11am - Shipped. 12pm. - Plane to Chicago, 2:30pm - Plane to South Carolina. 5pm - Basement of South Carolina Airport. 12am - Finished (1 bag of chips, 1 20oz of water, Head Down until this time) We are instructed to line up along the wall. Taken out onto a bus where we then boarded. ~1:00am - Get off my bus, yellow footprints. (life change)
1:30am Phone call home. Now, at this time i picked up that receiver, and I pretended to dial a number, my fingers did not even press that corresponding that to my home, I simply just made a number. I was thinking at this time, there was no point in calling home. Many reasons shot threw my head (parents not answering, answering and not caring..) But mostly I new the answer. I new that if I were to call, the only thing that would have been said, is a "good luck" in a non reassuring voice as to known failure. So I tried to keep my confidence high, and just stood there with a dial tone in my ear.

I made it to training day 33. Went threw pneumonia, Infection, you know the normal Pairs Island crap. Learned how to stare threw portholes for a long period of time, unclog toilets with bare hands, Scuzz a deck, make the deck "smell good" using.. "smell good" and all the time not thinking twice about anything else. See thats one thing you get really good at, just doing. Not thinking. I remember my last day. it was a 5 mile hump. To the rifle range. Made it no problem, it really was easy, as most is.. but what I new was going to happen, thats what i feared the most.

See prior to the range, I had been on "Trial Training" 7 days. Being watched, basically to "stand out" to the other recruits to show how much your worthless to the rest of the platoon. See the thing here is, no matter how much you try, or how hard you work, your always nothing at this point, as problematic as you have made the platoon, thats exactly what you have become at this point. A problem, finding ways to get you out of the platoon is all there looking forward to do. See it started training day 28. I had pneumonia the previous week. And 2 days bed rest seemed like 2 weeks to the other recruits. Drill instructors make sure they think this, as to when you are week, you hold the whole platoon down. This wasn't my intention, just what they make you seem like to everyone else. So in the head, on our way to test (which we all know were going to pass. We all get the answers) but to recruit Johnson, (a prior army, and was a flunked out squad leader) seemed to want to come up to me and tell me what to do. Me having an attitude, told him i could do what i wanted. I tell you what, biggest mistake to do here. Telling another recruit anything negative, to all you enlisting, bad idea. Just look at your fellow recruits as one of those parrots. You tell them, then they repeat it back to people you deffenitally didn't intend for them to hear. He told the SDI what i had said, and well spending my 2 days bed rest prior (or 2 weeks to some recruits) he didn't look at me as a good sign to the rest of the platoon. I was sure to be dropped. I new this.

Rifle Range, day 33 Morning Chow hall -

Recruit James seemed to have wanted to know if I was going to finish my bread. Heres another Key fellow enlistee's Don't talk.. ever, but especially at chow. Telling Recruit James that I was indeed, had to have been the last straw. Drill Instructor SSGT Giddings (Gittengs, Gettings) however it was spelled, anyways hes a crazy ass. well he seen **** before it happened. You could be on the other side of the island, this drill instructor new exactly what you were doing wrong. I was told to get up and get out.
Standing outside for a matter of 10 mins. The rest of the platoon came out and we proceeded back to the squad bay. Today was our commanders inspection, and prior to, the Senior likes to make sure we all have the same answerers, so he proceeds to ask the same questions the commander would, "ever denied any chow" Ill tell you before hand, If any negative question is brought to your attention. Just answer no. It'll be best for you in the end. I promise.

Now thinking back to morning chow, and drill instructor SSGT Giddings, To say that I actually was denied chow, put Senior at his last straw for me. I then went from problematic recruit. to liability. Being Dropped 3 weeks back. When your dropped back you have to go threw a lot. but quickly. You see many drill instructors, commanders, Gunny's, then make your way into a platoon. Being checked into a platoon, you then go get your phsical all over again, depending where they are in training (this means your shots all over again) So after time i end up at the docs, where they ask you a lot of the same recurring questions, but this time they call your mom, to let them know your getting dropped back. Now, this is key here. If your lies got you this far, and you disclosed any info. its most important to write home, and tell your folks, don't ever say ****. Cause when mom says that you went to the docs, for this and that, just before boot. and you were on this medication, well i tell you, you just spend a lot of time on a island, and being called Paris, its not just that short of a sweet vacation.

So here it is. Mom said I was on some meds prior to boot. I got sent to EHP (evaluation. Holding. Platoon) where they like to strut you around the island, so all the drill instructors can humiliate you. Your with a bunch of sorry ass's who failed Day 1 at the moment of truth. And if your at this point. and in your mind, wanting to just be days closer to graduation, but know your never going to get there. **** just goes down hill. So I Spend about 2 weeks here, finally being dropped to RSP. (Reservation. Separation. Platoon) Then a week later. Your just cleaning up the rooms you first set your eyes on entering those huge doors that you received your name tapes outside of, The desk's you sat in and had your heads frozen to at 1:30am. And all the things you went threw, flash threw your brain. And then you think, you basically just failed the biggest thing you could have ever accomplished in your whole life. And not only that, the parents that you tried to impress so hard, and change life at home, and make one step closer to getting them just to like you for who you are, to take at least the one accomplishment and look at it as exactly that, an accomplishment. But no, you know your going to go home, and be the most worthless piece of civilization you have ever became in your life.

March 13th. Home -
Back at home. Heads down. Evetrything is exactly as thought it was going to be.

May 2nd. 2007 - Now.
I'm writing this. To know now, that basically what a marine is. But even more then that. Who I am. What I have become. What I have accomplished. And with family life being the same, I know now more then ever, that to do what i have done (Join the Marines) was the best thing i could have done, but not for the reasons before, but to know that it was for myself, and the whole time on that island, i was there for the wrong reason. I have been trying to get back since my medical cleared. I waited the 14 months for the meds. I got letters from my doc. I got my physical. Ive been trying to get back in the Marines now since April 06. and like another post I read, I just keep getting the same answers. No.

Now that must be fine, or even easy to say looking at this paper with who i was in training then, but i waited the time, and everyday when i wake up. I know that this is not who, or what im supposed to be doing. The marines did exactly that what it was supposed to do. Show me who I was, give me Honor, Courage, Make my self Committed. Self Discipline, Dignity, and i tell you what, with all these things i learned. I wouldn't have ever learned or found out who i really am without the marines. If there is a recruiter, a marine, a commander, someone out there reading this. I have a reentry code of 3-P and i know that when master sgt. asked me "will we be seeing you again, because a 3-P cant keep you out" and when i looked at him, and stated YES SIR! That day, i new. And when that YES SIR! came out of my mouth, it was the most stern, strong, and most upheld yes sir I have ever stated in my life. And from that point forward, I new that it would not be the last YES SIR! i would utter. I'm doing everything i can, daily, to maintain weigh, physical/mental/and medical health. So, if there is someone out there that can help me get back in, and if Senior Drill Instructor SSGT Anderson Of Platoon 1021 1st BN A Co. Dec 13 - March 11th or SSGT McGowan, or SSGT Giddings, or SGT Lamburgth, if any of them are here, and reading this, I want to first apologize, for not showing or knowing what exactly i was doing at that moment in time. For being disrespectful toward the platoon and others. And Mostly I apologize to Senior Drill Instructor SSGT Anderson, because of his statement which i will never forget "Your a problem layde. and i don't just walk away or send you to another platoon, because thats giving my problem away for someone else to handle. and your going to come off this island a marine in my platoon, no matter what the **** i have to do to get it out of you, your becoming a Marine." I didn't uphold his goal. I have failed him and myself. So if there is a recruiter out there, or if any of the drill instructors stated above will please recommend one more chance. I promise on the life of me, i will not fail you, or myself. I need to get back, and reclaim the title, as a United States Marine.

-Layde.
Platoon 1021 1st BN A Co.
Senior Drill Instructor SSGT Anderson
Drill Instructor SSGT McGowan
Drill Instructor SSGT Giddings
Drill Instructor SGT Lamburgth

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-07, 04:28 PM
You are not a private. You do not get to call yourself one until you've earned the Title of Marine. Your lack of integrity kept that from happening for you. You said "reclaim" the title. It doesn't work that way. Once you have earned it you keep it. You never even came close.

I doubt your whole story. You do not get dropped from training for talking in the chow hall or for saying that you did not get a chance to eat. Saying that SSgt. Giddings did not allow you to eat could be very harmful to this Marines' career. Yet, you say it on a public forum anyway. Anyone that would tell on their DI is someone that I don't believe belongs in the Marine Corps.

I don't know what type of help you expect from anyone here. The recruiters not wanting to help you should be a pretty clear sign. They HAVE to get people to sign up. If they are not pushing to get you to enlist again it should tell you that you are going to have a very difficult time trying to enlist.

Zulu 36
05-02-07, 05:54 PM
I agree with E4B.

Your story makes no sense (even after working my way through the mis-spellings, and the grammatical and context errors). If recruiters don't want to help you get back in, its because they know something you are not telling us.

pvtLayde
05-02-07, 06:20 PM
Lack of integrity? Yet you would indulge yourself in a lie? I never stated that being denied chow dropped me, i stated it was the last straw, and that was a part of it. And then you state I told on him? He reported it back to the SDI, and we were always told to tell the truth, don't know what platoon you were in or what you learned, but i do remember the first thing that Marines uphold and its Honor, followed by Courage and Commitment. The whole story is there, and last I recall I asked for a recruiters help, I don't think i have to explain my personal records to you, or ask for you to believe my story. Also, sorry for the grammatical and context errors, I try the best I can. The mis-spellings however I thought were all correct, even used a spell check.

SkilletsUSMC
05-02-07, 06:29 PM
You weren't denied chow, you denied YOURSELF chow by talking. Big difference. You need to accept responsibility for your decisions. You ****ed up. Youre most likely not getting back in.

You will not be a Marine, but you dont have to worry about more poor decisions getting someone else killed.

pvtLayde
05-02-07, 06:30 PM
True. I did not listen to orders. Your right.

Zulu 36
05-02-07, 06:33 PM
No, you don't have to explain your personal records. But your story has gaps.

I'm a retired cop. I spent 25-years listening to stories. Your story has holes and what you did tell does not make sense to me, and evidently, others as well.

Spell check does not catch context errors, i.e., using "threw" instead of "through," or "new" instead of "knew." Just a couple of examples that make reading your posting difficult.

pvtLayde
05-02-07, 06:36 PM
Thank you zulu. That helps me know exctly what your lookin for. also if you could PM me some of the holes, i could edit, and fill in the errors. Thank you again.

pvtLayde
05-02-07, 07:06 PM
<

davecerami275
05-02-07, 08:05 PM
Instead of a long story full of excuses, why dont you just say, "I was a p*$$y and could not hack it."

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-07, 10:41 PM
You were not denied chow. You showed the DI that you were done eating when you decided to start talking. If you wanted to eat, you would have been eating and not running your mouth. <br />
<br />
Loyalty to...

rvillac2
05-03-07, 12:47 AM
don't know what platoon you were in or what you learned...

He was in that platoon that graduated.

First of all, let me say "Amen" to my fellow SNCO/NCOs who responded to this post. Next, let me say thank you to Mr. Layde for an illuminating story full of truths that many can learn from. Let's review some of these truths.

1) Not everyone can be a Marine. We are the few, the proud.

2) Recruit training is hard on the body and mind. Non-hackers need not apply.

3) Enlistment medical criteria exist for your benefit as well as the Corps. If you have a disqualifying condition, there is a strong likelihood that your non-hacking body will not make it through our training. You wasted a portion of your life and a big portion of our tax dollars.

4) "M" stands for "Mission," not "Me." Successful Marines/Recruits can recognize when their squad/platoon/unit are locked onto an assignment. This is why you'd see fellow Marines forego chow, sleep, and relief from duty in order to guarantee successful mission completion. This guy's story/excuses are full of him putting himself before the platoon.

5) Honor, Courage, and Committment is a fine recruiting logo, but know this: We are not above lying, cheating, or stealing for a Brother/Sister Marine. Telling anyone that you were denied food isn't a righteous example of integrity. It was just a spineless way of ratting out a fellow recruit and your own Drill Instructors. This is echoed in the self-important delusions of persecution he tells of his family life and experience with his platoon members.

Poolies and wannabees, keep these things in mind and learn from this post.

Layde, you gave up the rank of Recruit/Private as soon as you left the Island. Good luck in your future endeavors. If you are indeed fortunate enough to get another shot at greatness, don't throw it away like you did your last shot.

To my fellow SNCO/NCO's, Semper Fi!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-03-07, 01:34 AM
I didn't read his garbage close enough. You said you didn't know what platoon I was in or what I learned. How about this, I was Platoon 1114 Delta Company, MCRD San Diego. SDI Sgt. Doss. DI Sgt. Ferell, DI Sgt. Messick, DI Sgt. Trader, DI Sgt Rowe. Funny, it was many years ago, but I can remember their names and don't have to guess.

What I learned was how to be a Marine. You see, On June 16, 1995 I walked across the Parade Deck and graduated as a Marine. That is something that you will never do. You don't have what it takes to be a Marine. You show that by coming here whining and complaining about how you were mistreated. It was the DIs fault, it was the other recruit's fault, it was your mom's fault. You blame everyone but yourself. I personally thank God for your Drill Instructors. They knew you don't have what it takes, and the sent you packing. Have fun with the rest of your life and whatever you do. Just stay the hell away from the Marine Corps.

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 08:57 AM
Well, actually that was an interesting story and I am sure it was hard to speak about your family that way. But from what i gather when you said to write home to yoru parents so if they call? You saying this automatically led me to believe you were or maybe still are those people who believe they can work their way thru anything. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. The CO inspection story, Why a person would do such a thing is beyond me, but i can understand I am sure you were mad but remember you might not think what DI's do is right it might seem stupid but it's all for a reason the reason is not knwon to you it will be found out. That is probably one of the thigns that made them decide to drop you. You know you could have been after the week of SIQ? They didnt drop you but you felt like they had contempt they were trying to make you a Marine and I am sure if you look at it from their point of view they kept you on for those extra training days and then you ****ed them by sayign that to the CO.. Please see that jsut because you dont feel the love doesnt mean they dont care they arent there to make you feel important.

I always thought the dumbest thing was to walk around coverin gmy glass of milk yelling gang way live grenade but it dawned on me after boot camp that was the same way to carry the grenades its all about just understanding its all for a reason and to take it as that.

As for me what i think you did wrong is you are blaming other people for things happening to you. I have done it everyone has, it's a thing we get over or some people wont ever.

You know I myself was actually one of those trouble recruits at first. But when they tried breaking me having me run asking DI's times running back and forth from the little end to big end and back and forth i didnt say i quit or yell at people and didnt yell at other recruits i'd ignore them or if they would yell at me while we were in the pit. I would just outperform them. I am sure the army will allow you since they have different standards on prior service as for the Corps you are now considered prior service.

It is clear by yhow you refer to people in your post you are placing some blame but people will always do things it rests on you.

I hope you wont take the offensive on what i've said as i hope you will do the best and consider this a life lesson. Second chances arent a right and you amy not get it you should take waht you ahve learned apply it.

Well thats enough on this i wish you best .

rvillac2
05-03-07, 09:28 AM
Oohrah E4B:
Earned the Title on September 26, 1986:
Platoon 3065, Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, MCRD San Diego.
SDI Sgt Cooper (Recon),
DI Sgt Yerardi (LSB),
DI Sgt Munoz (Air Crew),
DI Sgt Zamaripa (MP).

No guessing here either.

maverickmarine
05-03-07, 11:21 AM
Semper Fi, E4B!!

Yeah, obviously he hasn't the slightest clue what we Marines are all about if he wants to come on here running his hole with that long, drawn out bit of dribble. Nobody to blame but yourself and your actions. Now, remove yourself from our Area of Operation.

maverickmarine
05-03-07, 11:24 AM
[

You know I myself was actually one of those trouble recruits at first. But when they tried breaking me having me run asking DI's times running back and forth from the little end to big end and back and forth i didnt say i quit or yell at people and didnt yell at other recruits i'd ignore them or if they would yell at me while we were in the pit. I would just outperform them. I am sure the army will allow you since they have different standards on prior service as for the Corps you are now considered prior service.

Yeah, I figured you were a freakin' Gomer Pyle, LMAO!!!!!

The difference is that you squared yourself away and drove on. That's why you earned the title. It ain't for everybody.

Semper Fi!!!

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 11:54 AM
[

The difference is that you squared yourself away and drove on. That's why you earned the title. It ain't for everybody.

Semper Fi!!!

HAHAHA ****er

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 11:54 AM
[

Semper Fi!!!

HAHAHA ****er

maverickmarine
05-03-07, 11:56 AM
HAHAHA ****er

LMAO! That's some good freakin' training right there. Say it!!!!!

Hobson
05-03-07, 04:49 PM
This is the kind of **** that will be posing as a GySgt in 20 years and will be exposed on the news as only spending 33 days in boot camp before the Drill Instructors kicked his sorry ass out.

Semper Fi Marines :evilgrin:

Marine84
05-03-07, 06:59 PM
This is the kind of **** that will be posing as a GySgt in 20 years and will be exposed on the news as only spending 33 days in boot camp before the Drill Instructors kicked his sorry ass out.

Semper Fi Marines :evilgrin:

LOL!

I was going to leave this one to you guys but ya'll know I have to jump in now........................EVEN LITTLE OLE ME MADE IT! I'm feelin' special bout right now................................:)

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 11:07 AM
I'm with everyone here.

Honestly, I didn't read your entire ***** fest. It was way too much drama, just get to the point already.

One thing I read that really turned me off to reading the rest of this was the beginning: "Mind state - 'I have no friggen clue what a Marine is, but if this is what's needed to make family proud, show who I am, what I can achieve, then this is what I need to do, to show my family there is something that can come out of me.'" You don't enlist in the Marines because you need mommy and daddy's approval, Layde. I left a lucrative, cushy job because I wanted to detect mines so little kids don't step on them. THAT'S the kind of mentality you want. That's why you sucked.

You got kicked out because you couldn't hack it, you couldn't achieve a goal that you really didn't know anything about to begin with. You do not need a "second chance" because you shouldn't have tried in the first place. You enlisted for approval from your family, that's not a reason to sign away 4+ years of your life to protect the nation. If joining some branch of the military will make mom and dad happy, tell them to **** off and be a man. If you can't do that, then take your pussy self to the Air Force Reserves.