PDA

View Full Version : Joan Baez reacts to ban from Army center - DUH!!!

marinemom
05-02-07, 11:41 AM
Joan Baez reacts to ban from Army center
Singer doesn’t know why she wasn’t allowed to perform for injured soldiers
May 1, 2007 - MSN

WASHINGTON - Folk singer and anti-war activist Joan Baez says she doesn’t know why she was not allowed to perform for recovering soldiers recently at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as she planned.

In a letter to The Washington Post published Wednesday, she said rocker John Mellencamp had asked her to perform with him last Friday and that she accepted his invitation.

“I have always been an advocate for nonviolence and I have stood as firmly against the Iraq war as I did the Vietnam War 40 years ago,” she wrote. “I realize now that I might have contributed to a better welcome home for those soldiers fresh from Vietnam. Maybe that’s why I didn’t hesitate to accept the invitation to sing for those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. In the end, four days before the concert, I was not ‘approved’ by the Army to take part. Strange irony.”

Baez, 66, told the Post in a telephone interview Tuesday that she was not told why she was left off the program by the Army. “There might have been one, there might have been 50 (soldiers) that thought I was a traitor,” she told the paper.

The Post reported that Walter Reed officials did not respond to requests for comment Tuesday, but that in an e-mailed statement published Monday on RollingStone.com, spokesman Steve Sanderson said the medical center received the request for participation by Baez just two days before the concert.

“These additional requirements were not in the agreement/contract and would have required a modification,” Sanderson told the magazine’s Web site.

Baez’s manager, Mark Spector, told the Post that Mellencamp’s management invited Baez to perform in March and handled all the arrangements. The Post said Mellencamp’s manager, Randy Hoffman, did not return calls requesting comment and that Mellencamp’s publicist said the singer was ill Tuesday and unavailable.

But Mellencamp earlier told RollingStone.com: “They didn’t give me a reason why she couldn’t come. We asked why and they said, ‘She can’t fit here, period.’ ”

Now, I can tell her why the Army said no - and I am sure everyone on this site can tell her why the Army said no. So, not only is she a whack-job, Cong lover, but she is incredible stupid!!!!!

If this is a play for sympathy, I refer Ms. Baez to the words of my husband's old drill instructor - P.I. circa 1966 - " You want sympathy - it is in the dictionary - about halfway between sh** and syphilis".............

Osotogary
05-02-07, 12:31 PM
Being at times a shallow individual that succumbs to the wishes of attractive women, I once saw a Joan Baez concert back in the late 60'-early 70's with a good looking date at the University of California at Berkely outdoor theater. I liked her voice and some of her songs and everything was going okay until she stopped singing and got on her political bandwagon soapbox. What a friggen turn off! I wanted to get up and go but my date whispered, "Please don't go." What was I to do? I stayed. LOL. The concert stunk but my date didn't. That's my Joan Baez experience.
I won't see another Joan Baez concert...even with a beautiful woman by my side.

drumcorpssnare
05-02-07, 01:38 PM
Joan is lucky there's not an open season on peace doves. If she hadn't been so anti-Vietnam, back in the day, she might have been welcomed with open arms to the concert at Walter Reed.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Roulette
05-02-07, 02:42 PM
Ok, basic things like name spelling Joan. Wow, all these years she crawls out from under the wheel, heheheh,..... SPLAT! GOOD ONE!

Sgt Leprechaun
05-02-07, 07:40 PM
My question is this:

This concert was for wounded servicemen, correct?

Those wounded servicemen are between the ages of what, 19-26 or so, right?

So, how many of THEM actually ever even HEARD of Joan Baez, or for that matter, have/had even a passing knowledge of "John Cougar/John Cougar Mellencamp/John Mellancamp/John Melonball or whatever he's calling himself this week"??

I, personally, would have let her sing, because, quite frankly, who cares?

Was this 'concert' for the wounded, or for the field grade and above who remember these has-beens?????

Zulu 36
05-02-07, 07:58 PM
What amazes me is she seemed surprised. Ol' Joan is learning that not every non-liberal has a short memory.

Never forget, or forgive. I haven't and won't.

Roulette
05-03-07, 02:48 PM
Sgt.,... you have a very good and vailid point. Most of the kids today would not remeber how deep the wounds were that scarred their fathers. Neither would they remeber how deep a pile of bs ol' Joan stepped into. As for me, i"ll do the happy dance!!!!!!!!!!

booksbenji
05-03-07, 05:47 PM
other than the #1 Sign :evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
05-04-07, 07:29 AM
The same tired old losers, re-hashing what they believe is/was their 'glory days' of the 60's.

They were wrong then, and they are wrong now.

thedrifter
05-04-07, 07:36 AM
The same tired old losers, re-hashing what they believe is/was their 'glory days' of the 60's.

They were wrong then, and they are wrong now.

I agree....
I feel some folks need to get a life.;)

Ellie

Sgt Leprechaun
05-04-07, 07:44 AM
:) The problem is, THEY don't have a life, so they have too much time on their hands, therefore, they want to tell us how to live ours....

thedrifter
05-04-07, 07:46 AM
:) The problem is, THEY don't have a life, so they have too much time on their hands, therefore, they want to tell us how to live ours....

B I N G O;)

Ellie

JinxJr
05-04-07, 08:58 AM
...or, more acurately, how to live ours the way they think we should. Have you noticed how these "Has-beens" creep out from under the rugs when discontent is at it's highest? I don't recall seeing most of these folks around when we first got involved and started deploying troops (except for the usual suspects...Moore, Streisand, Sheen and Sarandon). Even Hanoi Jane has been under the radar. Another one of those things that make you go ....hmmmmm!

Sgt Leprechaun
05-04-07, 09:35 AM
Yep. "An apple in a barrelfull of apples goes unnoticed..."

Ian Fleming, but the metaphor still applies.

And, since it's now 'popular' in these circles to be "against" the war (or whatever), they can now step foward, or at least, be a part of the 'in crowd'.

Roulette
05-04-07, 04:41 PM
Kicks the tar outa the lump in the rug. Takes a bow... Takes another bow,... Ok, well when JB was 10 her family lived in Iraq, so how's about another visit to her childhood home, i'm all for re-intergration!! Let's have a vote!!!!!!!!