PDA

View Full Version : Leatherneck hive-mind. I have a question.

SkilletsUSMC
05-01-07, 10:40 PM
OK... So I was BSing with some Marines today, and I had a good question posed to me. No one knows the definitive awnser to this, and the Marine who asked the question said if I could find the awnser, he would by me dinner. So thats where all of you come in.:D

OK, the Question is What is the purpose of the little black safety pin that comes with each bandoleer of 5.56 ammunition?

The Marine who asked me said he Emailed Gunny at Mail Call, and has had no luck. My guess is that it is to hold the bandoleer closed should you use it as a mag pouch, but it stays closed pretty well by itself.

All opinions are welcome! Help me get some free chow.;)

Semper Fidelis... Im hungry...

outlaw3179
05-01-07, 10:43 PM
So you can put on your helmet to tie down your cat eyes....lol..dont really know. Or maybe as a last weapon of defense.

SkilletsUSMC
05-01-07, 10:50 PM
So you can put on your helmet to tie down your cat eyes....lol..dont really know. Or maybe as a last weapon of defense.

HAHAHAHAHAH I must have 20 of them hanging on my Flak.

SkilletsUSMC
05-02-07, 12:11 AM
Ding Ding Looks like we have a winner! Poolie "TheBiggness" found this for me! Good Job Big!

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-148368075.html

Dear Editor,
Thanks for the article in PS 637 (Dec 05) about removing the white slip stitching at the bottom of the M16 rifle or M4/M4A1 carbine's bandoleer to turn it into a carrier for eight magazines. Many soldiers didn't know about that handy trick.
There are a couple of other things soldiers need to remember about the bandoleer:
Keep the speedloader that comes with the bandoleer. It will make loading magazines in the Field much easier.
Don't throw away the bandoleer's safety pin, either. The safety pin is provided to attach the bandoleer to your uniform so it doesn't bounce around. But in the Field you'll find it's also handy for temporarily fixing tears in your clothing or holding the camo band to your helmet.
Hope this helps other soldiers.
Editor's note: I'm sure this will help other soldiers. Thanks for sharing the tips.
SSG, Robert Jones
Directorate of Combat Development Ft Benning, GA

<!-- COPYRIGHT -->

mrbsox
05-02-07, 05:34 AM
"DOC" always had a few dozen hanging on his kit bag.

I thought it was for 'expedient wound closure'. :banana:

SkilletsUSMC
05-02-07, 05:50 AM
"DOC" always had a few dozen hanging on his kit bag.

I thought it was for 'expedient wound closure'. :banana:

In all seriousness, doc is supposed to pin your tounge to the outside of your cheek should you be choking on it (in combat)

mrbsox
05-02-07, 07:17 AM
In all seriousness, doc is supposed to pin your tounge to the outside of your cheek should you be choking on it (in combat)

LOL :thumbup: Makes medical sense !!

I really thought they kept them for attaching 'evac' cards to you.

PerXes
05-02-07, 08:01 AM
It's a safety pin..you can use those things for anything. They're like duct tape.

drumcorpssnare
05-02-07, 11:17 AM
Some recruit asked what that safety pin was for, when I was in boot camp. Our Senior Drill Instructor said, "When you get in your first fire-fight with 'Victor Charles' over there in the Nam....that pin is to secure your a$$hole, so you don't $hit yourself !":D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

SkilletsUSMC
05-02-07, 11:29 AM
It's a safety pin..you can use those things for anything. They're like duct tape.

OK Smarty Pants;)

Why a saftey pin? Why not a set of fingernail clippers, or something else random. They are on every bandoleer so they have a specific funtion. Im going with the explanation Big sent me.

<<<< POST #666:scared:
</P>

Sgt Leprechaun
05-02-07, 08:15 PM
Skillets, that means the dems here are right. YOU are the anti-Christ, and an obvious dupe of Karl Rove and company. :) :) Post 666.....

The pin is to secure the bandoleer to one's flak jacket or outer garment. Pins have been included on bandoleers since at least WWII. Does that mean they make sense today? Probably not. However, once in the contract......

You know how that goes.

SkilletsUSMC
05-02-07, 08:19 PM
Skillets, that means the dems here are right. YOU are the anti-Christ, and an obvious dupe of Karl Rove and company. :) :) Post 666.....

The pin is to secure the bandoleer to one's flak jacket or outer garment. Pins have been included on bandoleers since at least WWII. Does that mean they make sense today? Probably not. However, once in the contract......

You know how that goes.

Free chow for the DEVIL!!!

capmarine
05-02-07, 09:17 PM
i asked the same thing when looking at my grenade-what is this pin for?

SkilletsUSMC
05-03-07, 01:24 AM
i asked the same thing when looking at my grenade-what is this pin for?

Well good thing you asked;) If not I dont think you would be typing this post today.:D