PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Guide

RecruitRunner
04-30-07, 03:51 PM
Just wondering how to become a guide and stay one thoughout boot camp. From what I was told by a Marine that if you do good on your IST durning the first week of training there's a good chance of being a guide. He said that the D.I's would call you a Hot Sh** if you did very well on the IST. For me I'm feeling very confident about my phyiscal shape. I did track in college ran a 4:24 mile, so going under 17 minutes in the 3 mile will be no problem. I got my pull ups-12 and sit ups to 80 and I still got 5 months till I ship.

SkilletsUSMC
04-30-07, 04:04 PM
That run time is pretty good. If you can get over 20 pullups then you have a good shot.

killerinstinct
04-30-07, 04:05 PM
guides will change all depends usually being the most motivated and just **** hot and sometiems the guides can be a piece of **** we went thru many guides till graduation. Ours ended up being an ex...

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 11:54 AM
A guide honestly depends on your DI. We had a loud-mouthed recruit who our SDI loved, regardless of any sarcastic comment she threw out. I, being a natural "class clown" type, did the same thing and got in trouble.

Do not feel bad about being or not being the guide. The most kiss-ass becomes the guide, so personally I'd go without it. I was the most educated, hard-working, balls-to-the-wall, strong (they nicknamed me "Muscles") recruit in the platoon, but I never once was the guide or a squad leader. If you're like me, you rub certain people the wrong way. "Certain people" in this case are people who think that rank = automatic respect, and are instantly upset and angered by the fact that you are probably better than them in virtually every capacity.

Just be you, do what you do, and if no one notices, they will once you get to the Fleet. I'm not saying you'll get awards and ****, but I had a MSgt give me a Cuban cigar for "being awesome" and picking up the ball that everyone dropped. That's better than any good-cookie award.

millar123
05-09-07, 01:13 AM
Yeah you dont want to be the guide it is very crappy, you will get messed up the most. It sucks trust me.