PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Homecoming for Local Marines

thedrifter
04-30-07, 06:52 AM
Emotional Homecoming for Local Soldiers

April 30, 2007 06:18 AM

A dangerous mission ends with an emotional homecoming for some local Marines. More than 100 Marines with Lansing's Charlie Company are safe at home.

The unit spent seven months in Iraq hunting down insurgents near Fallujah. Hundreds of people gathered at Pattengill Middle School to welcome them back. A motorcade led the buses with the Marines on board. Family and friends lined up to catch a glimpse of their loved ones.

No one was able to talk to the Marines until they went inside. It was there families were reunited. There were a lot of tears, a lot of hugging, just a lot of emotion.

The Charlie Company was in Iraq for seven months. During that time, they lost 22 of their own. It was a tough mission, which made the welcome home even more emotional.

Mary Lewis, mother of Marine:"I am just the happiest person on earth, I'm so glad he's home."

Sgt. Jeremiah Lewis, 124th Charlie Co.: "I have no words, I have the best family and served with a bunch of Marines, who had my back and I had theirs."

Many of the families left quickly after the ceremony. Those we spoke to say they wanted to get home and spend time with their loved ones.

Ellie