PDA

View Full Version : remember, fire cant weaken steel beams and cause a collapse..

SkilletsUSMC
04-29-07, 09:40 PM
At least thats what Rosie says...

cbs11tv.com/national/topstories_story_119112227.html (http://cbs11tv.com/national/topstories_story_119112227.html)
Tanker Fire Causes Calif. Highway Collapse
(CBS News) SAN FRANCISCO A freeway interchange that funnels traffic off the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge collapsed onto another highway ramp early Sunday after a gasoline tanker truck overturned and caught fire, authorities said.
Authorities said the accident, which closed two sections of road that carry cars through Oakland and then east and south of the city, would cause the worst disruption for Bay Area commuters since the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake damaged a section of the Bay Bridge itself.
State transportation officials said it could take months to repair the damaged interchanges, and advised motorists to take public transportation into and out of San Francisco. They said that drivers who chose to take alternate routes on Monday would face nightmarish commutes.
Although heat from the fire was intense enough to weaken the freeway and cause the collapse, the truck's driver walked away from the scene and called a taxi, which took him to a nearby hospital with second-degree burns, Officer Trent Cross of the California Highway Patrol said.
No other injuries were reported, and officials said a major public safety disaster only was averted because the crash happened so early on a Sunday.
"I've never seen anything like it," Cross said of the 250-foot chunk of the crumpled interchange that was twisted into a mass of steel and concrete. "I'm looking at this thinking, 'Wow, no one died — that's amazing. It's just very fortunate."
The crash occurred around 3:45 a.m. on one of a collection of interchanges on the edge of downtown Oakland about a half-mile from the Bay Bridge's toll plaza into San Francisco. Although the bridge itself was not damaged, the maze of converging freeways includes some of the Bay Area's most congested routes.
State transportation officials said 280,000 commuters take the Bay Bridge into San Francisco each day and predicted the fallout on traffic would be severe as drivers are forced to find ways around the wreckage.
"This will be one of the most problematic commutes in recent memory," San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, speaking to reporters at the California Democratic Party convention in San Diego.
The tanker carrying 8,600 gallons of gasoline ignited around 3:45 a.m. after crashing into a guardrail on the interchange connecting westbound lanes of Interstate 80 to southbound Interstate 880. A preliminary investigation indicates he may have been speeding as he navigated the curving road, Cross said.
Heat from the flames melted a second interchange from eastbound I-80 to eastbound Interstate 580 located above the first interchange, causing a 250-yard section of the roadway to collapse onto the crash scene below, according to the CHP. Witnesses reported flames from the blaze rose up to 200 feet into the air.
Late Sunday morning, the charred section of collapsed freeway was draped at a sharp angle onto the highway beneath, exposing a web of twisted metal beneath the concrete.
Newsom said the crash appeared to be an accident and that there was no evidence of foul play.
He said he had spoken to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's administration and said he was assured the state would fast-track repairs, much as it did after the 1994 Northridge earthquake. He did not speculate about how long it might take to replace the span but predicted massive disruption to San Francisco Bay area traffic.
"This will be one of the most problematic commutes in recent memory," he said.
Newsom also said the accident showed how fragile the Bay area's transportation network is, whether to an earthquake or terrorist attack. Sunday's freeway collapse has the potential to have a major economic effect on the city.
"It's another giant wakeup call," said Newsom, who was preparing to leave the convention and fly back to the Bay area.
He said he planned to tour the collapsed freeway section later Sunday.
Transportation officials said they already had added trains to the Bay Area Rapid Transit light rail system that takes commuters across San Francisco Bay ferry service and were urging people to telecommute if possible.
David Timmons, 44, a personal trainer from Oakland viewing the wreckage, said he was glad he didn't have to make the commute to San Francisco.
"If BART were a publicly traded stock, I would buy some right now," Timmons said.

DougRagan
04-30-07, 02:08 AM
Ok
You see, what happened was, George Bush spent the past 8 months sneaking into California at night when no one was looking. He was able to line the bridge with invisible explosives that no one could see. Then he had Cheney drive the truck real fast, and Cheney jumped out right before it hit. Then the explosives went off. They did this to cover up because they knew that Rosie was about to expose them.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to put my tinfoil hat back on and watch the video about the fake moon landing and JFK.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-30-07, 07:31 AM
Hilarious.

MY tinfoil hat has a propeller.

drumcorpssnare
04-30-07, 01:20 PM
Sgt. Leprechaun- Amazing ! My tinfoil hat also has a propeller ! Anymore, I don't use it much, unless I'm in communication with 10thz. (Gotcha Richard!)
I prefer to wear what my grandmother used to call my "thinking cap." It's made of leather, and resembles a WW II fighter pilot's helmet. Granted, when I wear it, I look like a geek...but I feel smarter!:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

JinxJr
04-30-07, 01:29 PM
...but do your propellers actually WORK ?

drumcorpssnare
04-30-07, 01:35 PM
JinzJr- Of course it does! It's rubber band powered, and I always carry a few spares! (In case I get wound too tight...)

JinxJr
04-30-07, 01:38 PM
Good call. It does pay to be prepared. LOL

gwladgarwr
04-30-07, 01:47 PM
Why wasn't the Mayor of Oakland mentioned? Why is the Mayor of SFO doing all the talking? Where is the Mayor of Oakland, the city in which the accident took place?

The accident happened in OAKLAND and on the OAKLAND side of the bridge. That overpass is about 1/2 mile from the toll booths on the OAKLAND side. The Mayor of Oakland should have been interviewed and quoted, not the SF Mayor. They're talking as if the Golden Gate Bridge or the TransAmerica Building had collapsed (both of which are NOT in Oakland nor even touch Oakland.)

(I'm from SF but grew up in Oakland, btw.)
No wonder I don't live in either place anymore.

Sgt gw

marinegreen
04-30-07, 01:47 PM
Bet if Rosie was there she could of HUFFED ! and PUFFED that fire right out, me thinks the whole damn bridge would have come tumbling down though.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-30-07, 01:58 PM
She could have just looked at the fire and scared it out...

marinegreen
04-30-07, 02:05 PM
GOD Help us all if they give that bulldyke her own political show, she'll make rush,hannity,mathis,tucker look like lil girlie men, hehehehe !! Oooppsss sorry whom I kidding, they are lil girlie men.

FistFu68
04-30-07, 02:10 PM
:beer: LMFAO~:beer:

killerinstinct
04-30-07, 02:31 PM
im actually curious to know is why is the governator going to ask for federal assistance and why not collect the money from the oil company that owned the vehicle arent they insured???

SkilletsUSMC
04-30-07, 02:54 PM
im actually curious to know is why is the governator going to ask for federal assistance and why not collect the money from the oil company that owned the vehicle arent they insured???

Because all of Kalifornias money is tied up giving free money to illegals, and welfare recipients.:D

Sgt Leprechaun
04-30-07, 03:03 PM
True, true.

drumcorpssnare
04-30-07, 03:11 PM
Too bad that section of overpass didn't fall on Rosie. Woulda caused a hell of a grease fire though...all that fat.:banana:

ggyoung
04-30-07, 06:37 PM
The s.f. mayor is gay, the Oakland mayor is strighrt. In kalif. the gays rule.

Zulu 36
04-30-07, 06:58 PM
Too bad that section of overpass didn't fall on Rosie. Woulda caused a hell of a grease fire though...all that fat.:banana:

Human caused global warming would be a fact in that kind of fire. :scared:

kato811
04-30-07, 08:35 PM
the bridge isint big enough for rosie to get on

gwladgarwr
05-01-07, 08:17 AM
The s.f. mayor is gay, the Oakland mayor is strighrt. In kalif. the gays rule.

Actually, if you've been reading the papers, the mayor of S.F. recently admitted to cheating on his WIFE with another WOMAN - the wife of his former campaign manager - for the past four or five years.

No, he is not gay (and so what if he were?)

The mayor of Oakland, Ron Dellums, is straight, too. So what?

I'm not sure why you think automatically that S.F. = gay = S.F; there are plenty more straights out there than gays.

And if the gays rule there, CA would have same-sex marriage already - and the voters voted AGAINST it.

Hell, I heard Austin, TX was gayer than springtime in Paris and has SF beat.:D

What does any of this have to do with a collapsed freeway overpass anyway?

Sgt gw

Sgt Leprechaun
05-01-07, 08:25 AM
Ron Dellums, noted far left wing communist. Also, interestingly enough, IIRC, a former Marine.

I'd venture to say that MOST people automatically equate SF with the gay lobby. Primarily because it's such a "homo friendly" city. Sure, there are lots of 'straights' there, but they don't seem to have much of a voice. SF is also one of the most virulently anti-military and hard core left wing areas in Cali. Thus..if the shoe fits...

And, I'd venture to say that Key West is far gayer than Austin, Texas.

But, you are right. I don't think it has much to do with a collapsed freeway.

drumcorpssnare
05-01-07, 08:27 AM
The massive headache caused by traffic problems due to the overpass collapse means nobody in the Bay area is having "a gay old time"!!:D

gwladgarwr
05-01-07, 08:46 AM
Yes, I do recall Dellums being an old Marine (must have been in Oswald's recruit battalion.) I remember back when Dellums was still a House rep for his Oakland district. I guess a local Commie finally made good.

Straights DO have the biggest voice in CA - the media just perpetuates the stereotype of gays being some sort of tyrannical majority - which is the goofiest idea ever. As I said earlier, if gays dominated CA, same-sex marriage would have passed, but clearly it did not.

I'm not sure what happened to military-friendly San Francisco. You would think the gay community would embrace the Navy back when SF was a port of call and be thrilled when the "fleet's in"! (Insert obligatory gay Navy joke here.) Back when I was a kid, they still had Fleet Week and ships from all over the world (and sailors crawling all over Columbus and Broadway to get to Carol Doda's). ROTC was cool (esp. for the nerds), and people still lined the sidewalks waving American flags during the Memorial Day parade - gay folks included. And this was AFTER the hippie movement of the '60's and '70's.
It wasn't the gay folks who turned SF into an anti-military city - it was the spoiled boomers who were born following WWII and who became the hippies, beats, yippies, Commies, and druggies of that era - they are the ones who turned SF and Alameda from an area with a strong Naval tradition to a military- and America-hating haven.

Never been to Florida or to Austin, but I think Madison, WI is gayer than all of them put together. That's what I read on College.net. :bunny:

OLE SARG
05-01-07, 09:01 AM
If they bring in enough illegals, they can replace that chunk of highway for $299.95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Sgt Leprechaun
05-01-07, 09:06 AM
The last sentence in that paragraph is spot on! I have some gay friends that are more pro military than one would think.

ggyoung
05-01-07, 11:08 AM
gwladgarwr============= It was just something to say on the light side of things.

drumcorpssnare
05-01-07, 11:31 AM
Sgt. Leprechaun- Define "gay friends." Can you be a little more specific?:D

LOL:banana:

Sgt Leprechaun
05-01-07, 12:04 PM
Hahahahaha!

No. LOL.

But, I really do. I don't much care what they do or who they do it with, truth be told. I just don't want to know icky (yes, I said 'icky') :) details.

drumcorpssnare
05-01-07, 12:10 PM
Sgt Leprechaun- Remember "Pshyco" from the movie STRIPES ?.......

"Any of you homo's touch my stuff......I'll kill ya."

"Anybody calls me 'Francis'.....I'll kill ya."

(Drill Sgt.) "Lighten up, Francis"

:D

Sgt Leprechaun
05-01-07, 12:19 PM
Yep! LOl.....

Good ole "Sergeant Hulka".

Osotogary
05-01-07, 02:49 PM
Bet if Rosie was there she could of HUFFED ! and PUFFED that fire right out, me thinks the whole damn bridge would have come tumbling down though.

Don't know about that, marinegreen. Rosie would probably start to sizzle if she got too close to the fires intensity and heat. She'd start to cook and before ya know it ...she'd turn into a grease fire.
I think that the freeway system was still suffering the results of the last earthquake, structure wise. This fire didn't help the structure at all.

davecerami275
05-01-07, 04:28 PM
Last week i go out and spend $150.00 on a oxygen/acetlylene cutting torch. Now i am being told that i cant cut steel using heat? Guess this cutting torch is useless.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-01-07, 04:43 PM
Yep. Just trade that thing in. The troofers don't believe it. You'll need explosives for that.