PDA

View Full Version : Above and beyond the call of duty

thedrifter
04-29-07, 05:55 PM
Above and beyond the call of duty
By GERRY COBIAN
Chico Enterprise-Record
Article Launched:04/29/2007 11:42:25 AM PDT

A few days before Cpl. Jason Dunham offered the ultimate sacrifice, he and his platoon talked about what they would do if a grenade landed next to them. Dunham said if he covered the grenade with his kevlar helmet, then the helmet would contain the blast because the kevlar was supposed to stop shrapnel.

On April 14, 2004, Dunham tested this theory when he got into hand-to-hand combat. He wrestled with an insurgent who held a grenade, then yelled for his squad to watch out for the grenade. When the insurgent dropped it next to Dunham's squad, Dunham immediately threw his helmet over the grenade and jumped onto his helmet, taking the majority of the blast. The Marines beside him were seriously wounded. Tragically, Cpl. Dunham was mortally wounded.

Born on the Marine Corps birthday, destined to be a Marine, Cpl. Jason Dunham gave the ultimate sacrifice — his life — to save the lives of his fellow comrades, but not only was he brave, he was also a great squad leader and a good friend.

Even though Cpl. Dunham and I were the same rank, and I had combat experience, I was still proud to have Dunham as my squad leader. Dunham was the best squad leader I ever had.

Right after Sept. 11, when I was a boot — a new Marine — my platoon was on a run, and Kevin, another boot, wasn't able to keep up on our platoon runs. When he fell back from the rest of the platoon, Cpl. Boltman, one of our squad leaders, yelled back to Kevin, "You ever hear of friendly fire?"

Kevin replied as he was gasping for air, "Yes, corporal."

"Well, I hope they send us to Afghanistan." Lucky for Kevin we were only sent to Okinawa, Japan.

Dunham would never have said something like that to one of his boots. In fact, he wouldn't even call them boot. He always called his boots "junior Marines." Dunham would only run as fast as the slowest man in his squad because Marines never leave anyone behind. In boot camp they taught us that we're only as fast as our slowest man.

Before we were deployed to Iraq, we were training to fight in an urban environment, when Dunham's close friend, Sgt. Adams, left his pack on one of the trucks. The trucks had gone and it was going to be a cold night. Dunham unselfishly gave Adams his thinner sleeping bag and poncho liner, so Adams wouldn't freeze, but they both almost froze.

When I had a family emergency, Dunham took me to the airport at 10 p.m. even though he had to get up early the next morning. Jason was even willing to pick me up from the airport on a Sunday night. Finally, he was always there if I or someone else needed someone to talk to about problems.

The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration for bravery and valor in action awarded by the United States. Cpl. Jason L. Dunham was awarded the Medal of Honor on Nov. 10, 2006, by the president at the opening of the Marine Corps Museum. Not only did Cpl. Jason Dunham go above and beyond the call of duty in combat, he also went above and beyond as a leader of Marines and as a friend. Jason will always have a special place in my heart because of his devotion to his friends and the corps.

Ellie

skyhawker
04-29-07, 06:47 PM
Here's one Marine all of us can and should be proud of.
Semper fi. I'm sure God has a place for this Hero.

semperfi170
04-29-07, 08:05 PM
:iwo: Cpl Dunham truly understood the full meaning of Semper Fidelis that goes beyond the words. He obviously not only lived it but believed in it with all his being. God truly blesses those that serve others and lay down their lives to protect their brothers. :usmc:

marinegreen
04-30-07, 05:26 PM
This brings a serious ? to ponder/answer from my bro's/sisters, How many politicians do you think would do that for the citizens they serve ?? or do you think they would be asking for deferments ???

God Bless this Marine for giving the ultimate sacrifice........R.I.P.
MG

drumcorpssnare
05-01-07, 01:55 PM
marinegreen- Can you imagine the comedy that would ensue, if someone tossed a grenade onto the floor of the House or Senate?:D
Those freakin' scumbags would toss it around like a "hot potato" just prayin' it didn't go off in their hands! The only one who might jump on it to save others, would be McCain.

"...in accordance with the highest standards of Naval tradition."

If ya ask me, a cluster bomb would be more fitting than an M-26 frag.:banana:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

marinegreen
05-01-07, 05:35 PM
marinegreen- Can you imagine the comedy that would ensue, if someone tossed a grenade onto the floor of the House or Senate?:D
Those freakin' scumbags would toss it around like a "hot potato" just prayin' it didn't go off in their hands! The only one who might jump on it to save others, would be McCain.

"...in accordance with the highest standards of Naval tradition."

If ya ask me, a cluster bomb would be more fitting than an M-26 frag.:banana:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

I agree Drum. McCain and some other veterans who are congressman, and plez dont ask me to list names, lol ! I think the kerrys and maybe a couple others would duck behind those with BIG KAHUNNA'S, Murtha I'm not sure of either.........

Zulu 36
05-01-07, 07:25 PM
95% of them wouldn't have the first idea what it was, never mind think it was dangerous.

Kerry would be the first out the door since he should be in the 5% who would know.

marinegreen
05-01-07, 10:11 PM
95% of them wouldn't have the first idea what it was, never mind think it was dangerous.

Kerry would be the first out the door since he should be in the 5% who would know.

Kerry would have to have a camera crew there like he did in nam, he would want to make a documentary.........
:yes: MG

5thmarine
05-06-07, 10:44 PM
Has anybody heard anything about a possible MOH for a Sgt. Rafael Peralta who was KIA Nov. 15, 2004 in the Al Anbar province, Iraq? I am relying from memory on this but I remember reading a news story about him stating that as a pointman during a house to house search for insurgents, he was fired on and mortally wounded, as the firefight continued, a grenade was seen rolled into the room where the remaining Marines were. Seeing this, Sgt. Peralta immediately covered the grenade with his body and sustained the full impact of the detonated grenade, saving the lives of his fellow Marines. This action took place approximately seven months from that of Cpl Dunham. Sgt. Peralta was not an American citizen yet at the time of his death.

5thmarine
05-06-07, 10:53 PM
OK, I did a google search and found the following.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_peralta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_peralta)

5thmarine
05-06-07, 11:00 PM
OK, I did a google search and found the following.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_peralta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_peralta)

I stand corrected. Sgt Peralta earned his American citizenship after he enlisted in the Marine Corps.

5thmarine
05-07-07, 01:45 AM
:flag: Sgt. Rafael Peralta :flag:

Dave Coup
05-07-07, 02:28 PM
This was one fine Marine and a fine young man. It's disrespectful to mention the scum Politicians on the same blog.
Rest in peace Marine. Well done.

Semper Fidelis

Dave

5thmarine
05-09-07, 01:24 AM
Has anybody heard anything about a possible MOH for a Sgt. Rafael Peralta who was KIA Nov. 15, 2004 in the Al Anbar province, Iraq? I am relying from memory on this but I remember reading a news story about him stating that as a pointman during a house to house search for insurgents, he was fired on and mortally wounded, as the firefight continued, a grenade was seen rolled into the room where the remaining Marines were. Seeing this, Sgt. Peralta immediately covered the grenade with his body and sustained the full impact of the detonated grenade, saving the lives of his fellow Marines. This action took place approximately seven months from that of Cpl Dunham. Sgt. Peralta was not an American citizen yet at the time of his death.

For those interested, on May 19 the History Channel is airing a documentary on Sgt Peralta at 1900 EST. :usmc: Should be interesting. I know I'll be watching!:marine: