PDA

View Full Version : Don't leave Iraqis behind

thedrifter
04-29-07, 09:03 AM
Don't leave Iraqis behind

By H.D.S. GREENWAY
First published: Sunday, April 29, 2007

When April came to Indochina in 1975, the long war of that generation was coming to a close in chaos and despair. When it came time for "option four," which meant that the only way left out of Saigon was going to be by helicopter from the U.S. Embassy, we saw American Marines furiously chopping down a tree in the chancery garden in order to make room for a landing pad. The U.S. ambassador had not allowed them to touch the tree before then, which was symbolic to some of the head-in-the-sand attitude that refused to recognize that the war had long been lost.

Hundreds of desperate Vietnamese, who had trusted the Americans, began to gather outside the embassy begging to be let in, to be given a chance to get away.

The mood inside the embassy became despondent. Vietnamese who had served the Americans -- people whose status would place them in concentration camps if left behind -- were being abandoned all over town. Pathetic telephone messages kept coming in: "There are 30 of us here. Please give us instructions. Please come and get us." Some Vietnamese who could get close to the chain fence surrounding the embassy stuck frantic notes through the wire. "I work for embassy. Please take me with you." "Please tell Polgar I am here outside," Polgar being Thomas Polgar, CIA's Saigon station chief.

But many, perhaps most, would be left behind when the last Americans lifted away, bound for the safety of ships in the South China Sea. For a while there would be up country radio messages from Vietnamese employees and agents whom we had abandoned. But they were no longer answered, and in time they stopped.

I learned from George Packer of The New Yorker that a similar betrayal is forming out of the fog of war in Baghdad. Iraqis who threw their lot in with us, many of them interpreters, are being treated as if the United States had no responsibility for them.

Never really trusted by the Americans, despised even by Iraqi government officials and politicians who see them as American lackeys, and excommunicated from normal life outside the Green Zone for being collaborators, they risk instant death when they go home at night, and yet the Americans can find them no room to live in comparative safety inside the zone. Even when they reach other Arab countries they are denied visas and are chastised for "betraying Saddam."

When Iraqis working for the Americans asked the then ambassador, Zalmay Khalilzad, about immigration visas to the United States, he said: "We want the good Iraqi people to stay in the country."

"To admit that Iraqis who work with Americans need to be evacuated would blow a hole in the administration's version of the war," Packer writes in his recent New Yorker article "Betrayal." He blames the "politics of the American project in Iraq, which from the beginning has been conducted under the illusion that controlling the message mattered more than the reality."

The U.S. war in Iraq is unlikely to end as did Saigon in a frantic helo-lift from the Green Zone. It will be more controlled and gradual, I hope. But planning for those Iraqis who have risked all to work with us should be a top priority. Whether you believe that the war is already lost, or can yet be won, it is becoming clear that no matter what faction or factions come to dominate Iraq, Iraqis who worked for the Americans are not going to be regarded as heroes in their own land. If that were ever a possibility outside of Kurdish territory, it is so no longer.

There are efforts, at long last, to create special immigrant visas for U.S. Embassy employees. These efforts should be accelerated and expanded. As a former American Aid official in Fallujah, Kirk Johnson, wrote: "Despite the bubble we built around our 'Emerald City' in Baghdad, any Iraqi ... works for the Americans at great risk." Working for the embassy can be a "death sentence" if the word gets out.

When Packer went to the Green Zone to interview sources on this issue, he wrote that "embassy officials struck me as decent, overworked people, yet I left the interview with a feeling of shame."

I can sympathize. Three decades later, I have never forgotten that hurried April departure from the embassy in Saigon, and those we left behind. The shame of that day is with me still.

H.D.S. Greenway writes for the Boston Globe.

Ellie

OLE SARG
04-29-07, 10:21 AM
That shame will strike again if we leave it up to the democrats and their "cut and run" vision on Iraq!!!!!!!
The **** coming out of crook harry reid spells "Traitor" no matter how you look at it. We all know what should happen to TRAITORS!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

semperfi170
04-29-07, 01:46 PM
The dems, especially willie & hildabeast have been talking about taking our place in the world again. What BS!!! They would have U.S. military wearing the U.N. flag on their uniform. Do the dems and the rest really believe we will be respected, that we can be trusted, etc., if we allow to happen in Iraq what haqppened in Viet Nam? Does anybody believe the Mayaquez was siezed because others were afraid of us? If we are truly a country that stand behind what it believes and can be trusted to do what it says, we can't let Iraq turn into another Viet Nam type debacle!!

Ironrider
04-29-07, 04:34 PM
On behalf of the State of Nevada, I will apologize for the remarks of frickin Harry Reid. I have never been so ashamed. No wonder I vote for anyone that's running against him.

Jim
Las Vegas
:mad:

10thzodiac
04-29-07, 09:31 PM
For the Iraqis referred to in the article:

"WELCOME TO THE SUCK"

greensideout
04-29-07, 10:53 PM
It seems that there are two options upon leaving when we, (the U.S.) decide to invade a country. One, we can leave them high and dry when we leave as we did in Vietnam or two, we can stay till the cows come home as we have done in South Korea. My guess is that we will be in Arabia till we all grow old and die. What about the Iraqis? They will grow old and die while we are there too---if they are lucky.

OLE SARG
04-30-07, 08:55 AM
I will just be glad when the U. S. gives all the PC **** up, gets some balls, and starts doing things the way they should have been done to start with. We can give up on getting ANYTHING constructive done if the shemonster (man with tits hillary) gets elected!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

10thzodiac
04-30-07, 09:23 AM
As long as everybody wants to drive cars that run on oil we'll be in the Middle East, Republican or Democrat, blood for oil !

Don't those people know that's our oil under their sand ???

bootlace15
04-30-07, 11:50 AM
oooooooooooopppppppppppps,blood for oil!!!!!!!!!!!!

bootlace15 out