PDA

View Full Version : Marines return to Gray from Iraq

thedrifter
04-29-07, 06:11 AM
Marines return to Gray from Iraq

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 - 12:00 AM

When Jeremy Shaffer left for Iraq last June, his daughter, Madison was immobile with very little hair on her 3-month-old head.

Shaffer returned Saturday afternoon and Madison was walking, talking with a head full of hair.

The 21-year-old lance corporal was among about 50 other Marines reservists who returned from Iraq with Lima Company, 3rd Battalion of the 24th Marine Regiment to the Armed Forces Reserves Center in Gray.

"It’s a proud day," said Shaffer, a Bristol Tennessee native. "I get to see my daughter, who I have only seen three months of her life. Now I’m back home with my beautiful wife and daughter."

Lima Company departed in September for Iraq’s Al Anbar Province in support of its sister battalion, 1st Battalion of 24th Marine Regiment out of Detroit. During their seven-month tour of duty, Lima Company lost one Marine – Lance Cpl. Jonathan Thornsberry of Pikeville, Ky., in October.

The homecoming was very emotional as many the reservists had family and friends awaiting them. They arrived at Tri-Cities Airport and were bused to Gray, arriving at the Armed Forces Center at 5 p.m.

"[The last few months] were indescribable," said Brittany Shaffer wife of Lance Cpl. Shaffer. "Until you’ve been in a military wife’s shoes, you will never really understand."

Lima Company was based primarily in the hot spot of Fallujah, a city located 40 miles west of Baghdad, in the heart of the so-called Sunni Triangle. It has been one of the most violent area’s in Iraq because of a large association of Sunni’s, who adhere to the extremist Wahabi sect of Islam.

Despite the dangers, most of the Marines lauded Lima’s apparent success in helping set up an Iraqi police force 20,000-strong in the Anbar Province.

Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said on Friday, the Anbar Province was considered lost six months ago, before the Anbar Salvation Council was set up by Sunni tribal chiefs in accordance with coalition forces.

"When we got into the theater, they were still fighting each other and somewhat with us," Lance Cpl. Shaffer said. "By the time we left, it was all them [providing security]. We weren’t doing anything, we were their backup. We are very proud to say that we went in there and made a remarkable change."

The Marines returned as Congress is debating the Bush Administration over war funding and troop buildup. Several family members voiced their disdain about the infighting that’s dominated the country since the U.S. led-invasion in 2003.

"They want us to go over there and do their job, but they don’t want to give them [military] the money to do their job," said Shawnika Hickey, whose husband finished his second tour in Iraq. "I feel like it’s not right."

Lima gets four days off before returning to work on Thursday. Until then, many of the Marines will reunite with their families and rest.

Bristol Virginia Marine, Lance Cpl. Shane Lady plans to take some time and enjoy his children. Lady, who grew up in adverse circumstances, has a different outlook about life after seven months in Iraq.

"I grew up relatively poor," said Lady. "Seeing what they have to put up with and live through, it makes my life look easy."

Ellie