PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions..

ArthurP
04-28-07, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, whats up. My names Arthur, as you can tell by my user name. I just turned 17 on the 21st (I messed up when I signed up and put march 21st, so if theres any way somebody could fix that for me that would be cool, thanks) and I've recently really been considering joining the United States Marine Corps. I just have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask, and maybe someone on here could help me out. First, I was wondering if you guys would reccomend getting my high school diploma first, and then trying to go in the Marines, or just getting my GED when I turn 18 and then joining. Also, I was wondering if it would be a problem or disqualify me from anything because I have broke my leg before. It's fine now, I can run and do everything I used to just as well if not better than I could before. I just dont know about stuff like this because I haven't ever really looked into it. I have always wanted to be in the military, and until a few days ago when my girlfriend broke up with me, I wasn't really planning on it because I wanted to stay with her. But now that she's out of the way, I thought, hey, I wanted to be in the military, so why not go for the best and be a Marine. Oh and another thing, would being born in Ukraine affect anything? If anyone has any information they could share with me that would be cool, I just kinda wanted to talk to some Marines and after reading around a bit, it seems like I've found the right place.
Thanks.

jinelson
04-28-07, 02:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/156100.jpg

Welcome Aboard Arthur!

You should be able to change your birth month yourself, I will PM you a link. Let me know if your not successful. Stay in school and earn your diploma we only allow a very few GED's in.

Jim

ArthurP
04-28-07, 02:16 PM
Thank you jinelson, and no, I found the spot where I should be able to change it and it tells me this: "Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed."
So I guess I need an administrator to do it for me.

And alrite, sounds good. I was planning on getting my diploma first anyway, because I'm gonna have to get some kind of job after I serve I suppose. And hey, I noticed you're in Newark, my friends sister lives there :)

killerinstinct
04-30-07, 08:58 AM
i broke my metatarsal and the docs said that it would never break in that spot again... It hurt like hell to run even though the docs said i was good and the 800 motrin wasnt **** and definately doesnt help imo . But if you have discofort its probalby just because your bones are adapting or something... Im sure you will do well.

ArthurP
04-30-07, 09:16 AM
Yea, my leg is fine now, I was just wondering if having broke it in the past disqualifies me from anything, but I guess thats a no..
Thanks for the answers guys, got one more question now, would being born in Ukraine have any affect on joining the marines? I'm a citizen and stuff now, so I'd assume not, but I just wanted to make sure.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-30-07, 11:08 AM
If you are a citizen you're fine. If you are legally able to hold a job in the U.S. you can serve in the military. As a citizen, you can have a job, so there is nothing to worry about! :banana:

ArthurP
04-30-07, 06:32 PM
Alright, well thanks again for all the answers.. I got 1 more year of school and then I can hopefully have the honor of calling myself a US Marine. I can't wait :).

SgtHMH
04-30-07, 06:48 PM
You should not join the military because you do or don't have a girlfriend. You should join the military from deep down more to you inside of your feelings. There is more to it than just that, once your in and past the yellow foot prints you have to give your whole heart and sole and everything and put out. You have to pass the PFT, qual on the Rifle Range, pass the swim qual and what ever else they throw at you. There is a sence of duty that can't be explained in words, but it is from the heart, brain and spirit as a whole person that makes a Marine. So if you think about this and want to get the Title Marine, go for it and never quit and give up.

Semper Fi

Marine84
04-30-07, 07:13 PM
i broke my metatarsal.

Your WHAT?

ArthurP
04-30-07, 09:55 PM
You should not join the military because you do or don't have a girlfriend. You should join the military from deep down more to you inside of your feelings. There is more to it than just that, once your in and past the yellow foot prints you have to give your whole heart and sole and everything and put out. You have to pass the PFT, qual on the Rifle Range, pass the swim qual and what ever else they throw at you. There is a sence of duty that can't be explained in words, but it is from the heart, brain and spirit as a whole person that makes a Marine. So if you think about this and want to get the Title Marine, go for it and never quit and give up.

Semper Fi

Well, it's not because I do or don't, but when I was with her I didnt want to because I didn't want to leave her, but now that thats over theres pretty much nothing stopping me, and I'm not going to let anything or anyone get in my way now. My goal right now is to graduate high school, get my diploma, and become a Marine. Thanks again guys.

So is there anything you recommend I do before hand? Like I know I should be at least somewhat in shape, I run and do push ups and lift weights every day, but I'm by no means a big guy.. Should I be working on lifting weights more or is there a certain amount of pushups I have to be able to do or something?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-30-07, 10:04 PM
Your WHAT?

Bone in his foot.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-30-07, 10:05 PM
Well, it's not because I do or don't, but when I was with her I didnt want to because I didn't want to leave her, but now that thats over theres pretty much nothing stopping me, and I'm not going to let anything or anyone get in my way now. My goal right now is to graduate high school, get my diploma, and become a Marine. Thanks again guys.

So is there anything you recommend I do before hand? Like I know I should be at least somewhat in shape, I run and do push ups and lift weights every day, but I'm by no means a big guy.. Should I be working on lifting weights more or is there a certain amount of pushups I have to be able to do or something?

Train for the PFT. Three mile run, pull ups, and crunches. Once you have those well taken care of you can worry about other things.

ArthurP
04-30-07, 10:13 PM
Alrite, cool, I'll get workin on that.
How long do I have to run the 3 miles and how many pull ups and crunches?

And yea, I think metatarsels are the bones in your foot behind each of your toes.

DevilDogHEMech
04-30-07, 10:43 PM
The Physical Fitness Test is broken up into 3 parts worth 100 points each for a max score of 300. For the maximum score on the 3 mile run, you must run it in 18 minutes. Every 10 seconds longer than that costs you a point off of your 100. I believe the max time allowed is 27 minutes. The pullups are worth 5 points apiece, so you must do 20 to get the full 100 points. The minimum required is 3. The situps are worth 1 point apiece, and you have 2 minutes to get the full 100. I think the minimum for that is 60. Shoot for a total score of at least 225, which is the minimum for a "first class PFT". When you do your PFT, you will do pullups, then situps, then the run. And don't blow it off even after boot camp, you must do 2 PFT's every year you are in the Marine Corps, and your score matters for more than just bragging rights, it can affect your promotion. At 5 points apiece, pullups are the biggest moneymaker when trying to improve your score. Good luck.

ArthurP
04-30-07, 10:46 PM
Damn, I got some work to do then.. I should be able to run 3 miles in around 23-25 minutes now, but having a year to get that time down should be enough.

And damn, 20 pull ups, I can do like 7 or 8 and then my arms just give out, but I guess I still have time to work on that too. I think I'll get something to do pull ups on and start running maybe a mile and a half or 2 instead of just 1 mile every morning.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-30-07, 11:20 PM
If you can do the run in 23 minutes and do 7 pull ups you are starting well ahead of many people. Keep working and you'll be doing great by the time you ship.

ArthurP
04-30-07, 11:29 PM
Thank you, and the run was just an estimate I guess, I run about a mile every morning though I dont time it but I'd say somewhere between 7 and 8 minutes, but I'd probably be going slower the second and third mile, you know?.. But yea, I guess at least I can do a pull up and run a mile, which puts me ahead of people. I'll keep working towards that goal though and maybe I'll even be able to score a perfect 300 on that, dont want to get my hopes up but maybe, haha..

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-01-07, 12:37 AM
If you want to be a Marine you should always aim for perfection. You may not make it, but nothing else is acceptable as a goal.

Start pushing the run longer, but not too much at once. Run like 1.5 miles for a week, then bump it up to two. Once you get to three miles you can alternate. Run 3 miles for a couple of weeks, then speed it up. After another week or two push the distance a little. Keep working at it and you'll see your run times improve pretty quickly.

Marine84
05-01-07, 05:56 AM
Bone in his foot.

OUCH!

ArthurP
05-01-07, 06:34 PM
Hey, I just found out I might be on probation for this being drunk at school incident.. It might not, because when I was talking to the police they said that they would try to help me out and they are going to try to do it as some unofficial stuff where I'll be on this diversion program they got going on here, but the cop I talked to said he wasn't sure if I would be able to do that. So I just wanted to ask would probation affect anything? The police said if I do get probation I'll be off by the time 18, if that matters...

Marine84
05-01-07, 07:57 PM
INCOMING!

WHAT!?!?!?!?! Drunk at SCHOOL of all places???????? PROBATION! I think you can kiss a shot at the Corps bye bye for a while. DOOFUS - what did you do THAT for???

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-01-07, 08:25 PM
You cannot enlist while you are on probation. You will have to get a waiver for your crime- no matter which direction it goes. In the future, don't do stupid things.

ArthurP
05-01-07, 08:59 PM
INCOMING!

WHAT!?!?!?!?! Drunk at SCHOOL of all places???????? PROBATION! I think you can kiss a shot at the Corps bye bye for a while. DOOFUS - what did you do THAT for???

Yea, I ****ed up (excuse my language).
It's a long story, trying to be a "man" in front of my friends and showing them "how to drink" by drinking a fifth of tequila right before school was a bad idea.. I know it was stupid, you don't gotta tell me. Definately not doing that any more.
I doubt I'm going to be on probation, the cop I talked to said probably not, and that they are going to try to settle it "unofficially" where I wouldn't even have to go to court, so hopefully that works out, but I'm not sure yet. He said even if I do get on probation, I would be off by the time I'm 18, so I was just wondering if having that on my record would affect anything?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-01-07, 09:36 PM
Yes, it will. You will need a waiver. It won't be a huge deal- just tell your recruiter about it and he'll take care of it.

ArthurP
05-01-07, 10:00 PM
Alrite, thanks again. Hopefully I wont even have to deal with that and the cop does what he said he would do for me. And yeah, before I posted I read a bit and saw something about somebodys friend getting kicked out of the Marines for not telling them about something he had, i the exact story, but I just wanted to see if this would affect anything.
But yeah, I think I got all the answers to all my questions. If anything else comes up I'll come back here. Thanks to all of you guys for answering my questions so quick, I appreciate it. Hopefully everything works out and I can one day call myself a Marine and help people like me out on here like you guys helped me :)

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 11:30 AM
Arthur, to answer your questions.
1. Get your diploma. There is no reason to get a GED. Not at your age.
2. Bone breaking not a problem.
3. Born in the Ukraine: this will affect your chances of getting a security clearance. You will have to renounce your citizenship if you are a dual citizen.
4. Yes girlfriend = no military: this is not the mindset you want. YES, I read that "now nothing's stopping you," but the fact of the matter is that if you can't trust the girl to stay faithful to you, or you to her, while you're away during training, you have no business being with her and should have dumped her and enlisted. That's what I did to my then-boyfriend. You gotta grow a pair before you even head to boot camp.
5. I lifted weights every day before enlisting, but switched up to focus on muscular endurance rather than bulk and brute strength. If you are lifting just to get big, switch it up for endurance. A good way to do sit-ups is to do one day of endurance (see how many you can do in 2 minutes, in sets of 4, and work out all areas of your abs), then the next day do the same sequence but with heavy weights so you do 4 sets of 15 reps per exercise (email or message me if you want ab exercises).
Practice pull-ups with alternating sets of pull-ups and push-ups, each to failure, until you can't do either one any more. Then take a day off, and do it again.
Improve your run time:
Day 1: Run for time. Find a 3-mile course and run it as fast as you can.
Day 2: Run for distance. Find a 5-7 mile course and run it at a steady, do-able pace.
Day 3: Run for strength. Find a 200-400 meter course, UPHILL. Sprint uphill, then jog back down the hill. Rest 1 minute, repeat 10 times.
Day 4: Run for pace. Find a 3-mile course. Jog 2 minutes, then sprint as fast as you can for 100 meters, then jog 2 minutes. As you improve, you will be able to sprint for 150m, 200, 250, etc.. Make sure that even though you're going to get tired and fatigued, that you put 100% effort into each of your sprints. They don't have to be as fast as the previous one, but the effort should be the same.
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Start over with Day 1.