PDA

View Full Version : Mom: I just can't wait'

thedrifter
04-28-07, 07:15 AM
Mom: I just can't wait'
Friday, April 27, 2007
LaNIA COLEMAN
THE SAGINAW NEWS

Ruth Sharper feels like a little kid on the threshold of a birthday that can't get here soon enough.

In two days, the Saginaw woman's 25-year-old son, Lance Cpl. Kanyama Sharper, and 128 other Marines from Company B, 1st Battalion, 24th Marines, will return home.

Unit members are waiting at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif., after a seven-month mission to Fallujah, Iraq.

"I feel tension and joy and ... I just can't wait," Sharper said.

Bravo Company's anticipated arrival is between 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday at Buena Vista High School, 3945 Holland.

Organizers expect 500 to 750 people, or roughly five family members and friends per Marine, to attend Sunday's homecoming in Buena Vista.

The event is not open to the public, but those wishing to show their support may stand curbside with flags and banners along Holland between Interstate 75 and the school.

While deployed, the Marines conducted stability and security operations. Duties included manning security and observation posts and conducting patrols, often in liaison with elements of the Iraqi police and defense forces.

The unit's return will lift a tremendous burden off the shoulders of loved ones, who now are experiencing a full scale of emotions, Sharper said.

"The biggest thing on everyone's minds is the mix of emotions this time because of the casualties and the guys who were so seriously injured that they came back early," she said.

The military also deployed the unit to Kuwait in March 2003.

"We're so overjoyed that these guys made it home, but we're so deeply saddened because some did not," Sharper said.

A certain tension also weaves its way through the many strands of emotions, she said.

"It's not just the waiting," Sharper said. "The military can change its mind any time about when people can get home. We all have this tension that, until they're here, they might not get here when they're supposed to."

When those doors finally burst open and a wave of Marines ushers forth, a difficult mission -- one very different from the first -- officially will have ended.

This time around, the Marines saw more violence, said Lance Cpl. Martin Gonzales, who surprised his family with an early homecoming, a privilege afforded to him because he expects to become a father any time now.

"It was harder this time," Gonzales said. "Last time, we did security, and it was more of a waiting game in Kuwait. This time, we were in the mix of it all. We were part of an assault element, so we saw more violence."

The unit's commander, Lt. Col. Paul McBride, called the homecoming "wonderful."

"These families have been through hell," McBride said. "They never knew if I was going to knock on their door at 2 in the morning to tell them their loved ones are dead."

The unit lost three members -- Cpl. Christopher E. Esckelson, 22, of Vassar; Lance Cpl. Nicholas A. Miller, 20, of Clifford; and Pfc. Bufford K. VanSlyke, 22, of Bay City -- to gunshot wounds.

Esckelson and Miller died in an intense firefight Dec. 28. VanSlyke died Feb. 27. Six others suffered injuries from which they continue to recover.

Gonzales said he's relieved to get away from the constant threat.

"It's a lot of relief not having to worry about things like (improvised explosive devices)," he said. "I can sit back and relax and not worry about what's going on around me."

Robert Gonzales said his son's return came as a complete surprise and a relief.

"We opened the door, and there he was," Robert Gonzales said. "He almost gave me and my wife a heart attack. It was a big relief to see him after we got over the shock. This was his second tour, and you just don't know. You watch TV, but ...

"The first time he left, it was hard, but the second time was harder because a couple of his friends were killed."

Sharper has similar feelings about the differences between the two missions.

"The first time was a lot easier," she said. "This was a whole different war. Their duties were different. The first time, they were providing security for convoys. We didn't know what to expect. The second time was harder because we knew they were seeing more violence. They had already gone once and made it back OK. The second time, we did a lot of praying."

McBride said the Marines made many contributions to the war effort. They rousted dozens of insurgents, including one "highly valuable" fighter and a cell leader, and seized weapons, ammunition and explosives.

After all that and more, the Marines can look forward to a hero's welcome and a carnivallike atmosphere in Buena Vista.

"I don't know if anyone has ever seen that many happy people in one place at one time," Sharper said. "It will be chaotic. There will be a lot of noise, crying and laughing and little kids running around."

Sharper said the moment of their arrival also will bring some tension.

"Everyone has been waiting, and no one knows (exactly what to expect)," she said. "When the guys go through a lot of stuff like that, you don't know how they'll feel when they return. I know they'll be exhausted from the travel, though. And the families will have that little bit of tension because of the trip from California to here. But then things will cool out."

Sharper said about 20 relatives will greet her son when he returns. She said the family plans to celebrate with a cook-out at another son's home.

"We're going to barbecue and just hang out and relax," she said.

The Gonzales family also plans a Sunday night celebration, Robert Gonzales said.

"We'll have lots of food," he said. "That's the first thing (Martin) asked for, some home cooking. My wife will make tacos and taco salad and some other Mexican food. I don't expect he got much of that over there."

But Martin Gonzales was starved for more than just home cooking, he said.

"I missed my family the most," he said. "I just wanted to be home." v

LaNia Coleman is a staff writer for The Saginaw News. You may reach her at 776-9690.

Ellie