PDA

View Full Version : Col. Petronzio takes helm of 24th MEU

thedrifter
04-27-07, 07:44 AM
April 27, 2007 - 12:00AM
Col. Petronzio takes helm of 24th MEU

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit has been nothing short of busy in recent years.

Since Col. Ronald J. Johnson took command in June 2003, the unit's versatility has shone through a deployment to Iraq, aid offered after Hurricane Katrina, assistance in evacuating Americans from Lebanon and support for NATO forces during a fight in Afghanistan.

And after an action-packed four years as commander, Johnson has passed the unit's flag to Col. Peter Petronzio.

Petronzio, operations officer of Marine Special Forces Operations Command, will now serve as the commander of 24th MEU after a Thursday afternoon ceremony in front of the II Marine Expeditionary Force headquarters building at Camp Lejeune.

As he steps into the new role, Petronzio joins Marines and sailors who were praised Thursday for their accomplishments in humanitarian efforts and war.

"The accomplishments with the MEU during (Johnson's) tenure have been significant," said Lt. Gen. Keith Stalder, commander of II Marine Expeditionary Force. "... The things you've done are emblematic of what the MEUs can do and have done over the years."

After Johnson took command, 24th MEU immediately began training for a deployment to Iraq in an area south of Baghdad known for its sectarian violence. Working alongside Iraqi security forces, Marines detained more than 900 terrorists and seized more than 75,000 munitions. The unit was also involved in extensive humanitarian aid for the Iraqi people.

They would take those talents to Louisiana and Mississippi in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina, when Marines rescued more than 600 stranded residents, transported nearly 1,500 displaced residents, delivered 2 million pounds of supplies and cleared debris from more than 1,000 homes and buildings.

The 24th MEU then went to Lebanon last year in response to the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah to help evacuate 15,000 Americans in the largest evacuation of Americans from a foreign country in history.

And while the deployments were successful, they weren't necessarily easy. In the process, they lost 15 Marines and sailors in heavy combat in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

Thursday, Johnson honored those who sacrificed their lives as he said goodbye to Camp Lejeune, where he has spent most of his 28-year career. He was recently selected for promotion to brigadier general and will become the Marine Corps director of operations in Washington.

"I knew each and every one of them personally," he said.

Johnson thanked his family and others for enduring the deployments.

"We had three deployments in the last five years and it was tough," he said. "I think it's tougher on the families."

As he leaves, Johnson said he does so with a deep satisfaction for what the MEU has done.

"The Marines and sailors of the 24th MEU have performed absolutely superbly in Iraq, Lebanon, Afghanistan," he said. "It demonstrated the flexibility of the MEU. It's held up to its reputation."

Petronzio said he was ready to continue leading the MEU on that path.

"It's an incredible honor to be here today," he said at the ceremony. "I'll make sure I do my best for you. You will have everything I have to offer. I will give it to you every day."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.