PDA

View Full Version : Changing MOS

Sonic13
04-26-07, 07:39 PM
Hi i enlisted into the Marine Corp Reserves. My current MOS right now is Combat Engineer. I was wondering if i would be able to change it to Combat Infantry. Im shipping in less than 2 months and i was wondering if this is possible. Is it a long procedure to change something like this? Are there not alot of infantry slots open for reserves these days? Also, how do i approach my recruiter about this?

sgt tony
04-26-07, 07:49 PM
All you need to do is talk with the recruiter. Some times this can be done quite easily and then some times not at all.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-26-07, 07:58 PM
It depends if there are openings at the unit near you, and if there are any openings at SOI. It seems that SOI may be getting full pretty often, so you could have to change your ship date. Your recruiter will know for sure. If there is an opening at the unit and in the school it is pretty easy to change.

Sonic13
04-26-07, 08:39 PM
Sounds good, thank you Sir.

Marine84
04-27-07, 09:13 AM
I got a stupid question...................WHY does EVERYBODY want infantry? Is it just a guy thing or what?

I'm being serious. Dang near every poolee/Marine friend/DEPer that has signed in here wants Infantry. If it's like that HERE it HAS to be like that in every Recruiters office! No wonder Infantry stays full all the time (according to what some poolees have said). I'm not trying to sway ya'll either way - I think it's great that you DO want a certain MOS but, if all of ya'll will not absolutely go unless you DO get Infantry, how will they fill the other kazillion spots that ARE open? Give them all to women? Not THAT many women signing up and, even if they did, there are a lot more spots that they WILL NOT put a woman in anyway.

Just curious.................

Marine84
04-29-07, 05:39 PM
Must just be one of those things you have to have "one" to understand.....................

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-29-07, 06:26 PM
The Marine Corps is infantry. It has been for 231 years, and it will be for the next 231 years. There are two types of Marines, infantrymen and those that exist to support the infantrymen. When Joe Blow thinks about the Marine Corps he doesn't think of someone working in an airframe shop or supply warehouse, he thinks of Marines fast roping from a helo and bringing death and destruction to the enemy.

Even though I ended up not being infantry, I would have never enlisted if it wasn't for Marine infantrymen, and I assume many others are like that as well. It may also be part of the makeup of people that are attracted to this forum. Another forum I visit used to be very popular with people going in the Navy. None of them wanted to be a gunner's mate or corpsman, they all were headed to BUD/S. I think the highly motivated types that tend to find their way to the infantry may be the ones that seek out places to learn more about the Corps.

Marine84
04-29-07, 08:44 PM
OK - now I understand.

And you got a point E4B - I was glad for them too (the rest of ya'll get your heads outta the gutter) - I didn't mind supporting them either.