PDA

View Full Version : Who will the "Heros of the Next Generation" be?

drumcorpssnare
04-26-07, 02:36 PM
When I was a kid growing up, my heros were "Chesty" Puller, Audie Murphy, "Manila" John Basilone, Gen. George Patton, "Pappy" Boyington.

Will our kids, or grandkids (as the case may be), have any "heros" to remember from Desert Storm and the Iraq war? I hope so.

Who do you think they might be?

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

yellowwing
04-26-07, 02:43 PM
SGtMaj Kasal and Lance Cpl. Christopher Adlesperger

zx6rdr
04-26-07, 02:43 PM
My vote would be.....

SgtMaj. Brad Kasal-Fallujah

davblay
04-26-07, 02:47 PM
General STORMIN NORMAN for Desert Storm and CPL Jason Dunham for Iraq!

Echo5November
04-26-07, 03:13 PM
Are you serious? Our kids' heros these days are the latest faces on MTV. Ask a teenager who George Patton, Chesty Puller, or Jason Dunham is. All you will get is a blank look of confusion. Ask a kid who the best U.S. president of all time was and they'll say Abe Lincoln (cause they think he single handedly ended slavery). Ask them who the worst president is and they'll say George Bush, because its all they've heard on tv for the last four years. Gone are the days of American kids idolizing the men who raised the flag on Iwo Jima, the man who wins the Congressional Medal of Honor, or even the hometown guy that saved his buddies lives in the heat of battle on countless occasions without batting an eye. The heros of America's children are the rap stars who have the #1 video or the NFL player who was arrested six times last season.

Echo5November
04-26-07, 03:18 PM
But I would say Jason Dunham. His picture is my desktop background. He is the epiphany and symbol of selflessness and the Marine NCO. Just thinking about him jumping on a grenade to save his buddies and being the first Marine since Vietnam to receive the CMH should give a chill down your spine. He is what individual Marine in the Marine Corps should stand for.

drumcorpssnare
04-26-07, 04:15 PM
Echo5November- I plan to visit Scio, NY this summer...Cpl. Dunhams hometown in SW NY, to pay my respects.

Sadly, your other post about today's kids is all too true.

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Echo5November
04-26-07, 04:18 PM
Ya, I wanna make my way up to Scio as well and shake his mom and dad's hands. Have you read Gift of Valor yet? If not, you should. And tell every Marine you know to read it. I swear I'm gonna name my next son Dunham.

10thzodiac
04-27-07, 02:08 PM
<DT>"We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." </DT><DD class=author>

</DD>

OLE SARG
04-27-07, 08:19 PM
There are plenty of our Servicemen and women who are heros AND there will be plenty of people to sit on the curb and clap as they go by!!!!!!!!!!! TO THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE ****ING DEMOCRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

10thzodiac
04-27-07, 08:50 PM
There are plenty of our Servicemen and women who are heros AND there will be plenty of people to sit on the curb and clap as they go by!!!!!!!!!!! TO THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE ****ING DEMOCRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

All of them are heros OLE SARGE ! We know the troops are just a political football between the Democrats and Republicans now. In my opinion neither of the two party's really care about troops, just playing the troops and us as rich mens fools.

OLE SARG
04-27-07, 09:54 PM
At least we agree on one thing 10th!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI BROTHER,

10thzodiac
04-27-07, 10:02 PM
At least we agree on one thing 10th!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI BROTHER,

What else is there to agree on brother ?

Semper Fidelis :usmc:

10th

semperfi170
04-27-07, 10:05 PM
All of them are heros OLE SARGE ! We know the troops are just a political football between the Democrats and Republicans now. In my opinion neither of the two party's really care about troops, just playing the troops and us as rich mens fools.

I also agree with you on this 10thZ!:thumbup: The shame of it is that after all the hand wringing, etc. is done; the promises made to vets of all wars are quickly forgotten. The other shame of it is we are not teaching the children of today who the heroes are, and have even PC'd our school history books.

10thzodiac
04-28-07, 06:35 PM
Wouldn't it be nice for our children and grandchildren the hero's of the next generation will be the peace makers instead of warriors ?

A new meaning of securing your county, free medical for everyone, affordable education, feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, balanced budget, solvent social security system, no trade deficit, a strong dollar, more leisure, clean air and water.

yellowwing
04-28-07, 07:07 PM
Wouldn't it be nice for our children and grandchildren the hero's of the next generation will be the peace makers instead of warriors ?

A new meaning of securing your county, free medical for everyone, affordable education, feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, balanced budget, solvent social security system, no trade deficit, a strong dollar, more leisure, clean air and water.
There's a great science fiction story about that same theme. They put something in the water and world peace broke out. The downside was they didn't do enough long term testing and everyone got Alzheimer's. :scared:

hrscowboy
04-29-07, 02:19 AM
i got clean air and spring fed water and there aint no homeless on my property and i have a balanced budget and my money is good everyone seems to want it.. So i say tighten them belts Jarheads..