PDA

View Full Version : 16th Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps assumes post

thedrifter
04-26-07, 08:19 AM
16th Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps assumes post
Staff Sgt. Christina C. Delai

WASHINGTON(April 27, 2007) -- Sgt. Maj. Carlton W. Kent assumed the position as the 16th Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps from Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada during a post-and-relief ceremony Wednesday evening at Marine Barracks Washington.

During the ceremony, Estrada passed the sword of office to Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. James T. Conway who then passed the sword to Kent. The passing of swords between Marine Corps leaders signifies the completion of one tour and the beginning of another.

“I think the next few years [for the Corps] are going to be exciting,” said Estrada, during an interview earlier this week. “It’s even more exciting to see General Conway’s vision of where he’s taking our Corps. I would love to be apart of it – but all good things come to an end.”

Estrada will retire later this year after completing more than 34 years in the Marine Corps.

Kent, who has been in the Marine Corps for more than 31 years, has served in various key billets throughout his career to include as a Marine security guard, drill instructor, and Naval Aviation Officers Candidate School drill instructor. He has also served as sergeant major of 2nd Recruit Training Battalion and Recruit Training Regiment, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif., and sergeant major of Marine Forces Europe.

It was Kent’s time as sergeant major of I MEF and the motivational comments he made to thousands of Marines in Iraq before the battle for Fallujah in 2004 that will stand out in the memories of Marines for years to come.

“You’re all in the process of making history,” Kent told his Marines in 2004. “This is another Hue city in the making. I have no doubt, if we do get the word, that each and every one of you is going to do what you have always done – kick some butt.”

Kent spent 13 months straight in Iraq as the senior enlisted leader.

“I am looking forward to being able to continue to serve with the great Marines [and] sailors we have in our Corps,” said Kent, who served as the I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif., sergeant major, prior to his current assignment. “I look forward to being a combat multiplier for Marines and their families by getting out and hearing what their issues are and making recommendations to our commandant.”

Ellie