PDA

View Full Version : Trustee Caccamo due to arrive home from Iraq this weekend

thedrifter
04-26-07, 06:42 AM
Trustee Caccamo due to arrive home from Iraq this weekend
BY KURT KUBAN
STAFF WRITER

Having spent the last eight months patrolling the decimated streets of Iraq and having witnessed too many of his comrades killed or wounded, Todd Caccamo is ready to come home. On Monday, he took a big step toward that goal when he arrived in New York with the 1st Battalion, 24th Marines.

Although he immediately flew out to a base in California, Caccamo's wife Kay said it won't be long before he is back home in Canton. She said he is scheduled to fly to Toledo on Sunday, where she and other family members will be waiting with open arms. And she can't wait.

"Now that he's home, I'm ecstatic. It's been a long time. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel," Kay Caccamo said.

The Canton Township trustee threw caution to the wind about two years ago and rejoined the Marines to help in America's fight against terrorism. He took leave from the Board of Trustees and left for Iraq in September.

The thing Caccamo is most looking forward to is meeting his new son, Carter, who was born on Feb. 21.

"That is definitely at the top of the list. Everyone that has seen him says he looks just like me. I've seen pictures, but it's not the same. I can't wait to hold him and get to know him," said Caccamo by phone on Tuesday.

Kay admitted that the last eight months has been a difficult period for her, especially around the time the baby was born. Although she did have some communication with him, sometimes it wouldn't be for two or three weeks, and she would start thinking the worst.

"When he left, I just didn't know what to expect," she said. "It didn't hit me until I was in labor and I thought, 'I'm alone.' At the same time, I was so proud of him."

Caccamo said the war wasn't exactly what he thought when he left eight months ago. He said Iraq is a confusing place. Oftentimes he wasn't even sure who the enemy was, or who it was the Americans were actually trying to protect.

"It was definitely an experience," said Caccamo, who is a corporal.

"Everyone asks me if it was worth it. My answer changes every five minutes. I will say this, we are fighting an enemy that is very, very evil."

Caccamo will be on active duty until June 1. He said after that point, he will resume his place on the Board of Trustees.

Caccamo's family and friends will be hosting a coming home party for him from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., May 9 at Bailey's Pub N'Grille, which is located at 1777 N. Canton Center Road in Canton. For more information, contact Kay Caccamo by e-mail at kay827@yahoo.com or by phone at (734) 981-6303.

Ellie