PDA

View Full Version : Eod

Jake Gone
04-26-07, 12:06 AM
I want to get into EOD. How do i get there?

Marine84
04-26-07, 06:29 AM
Ask for Ordnance - I don't think you can enlist for EOD. And I'm sure the requirements have changed for getting in EOD after that. But you gotta be dam good to get in.

Look for LDOCapt and see if he can help - he's an Ordnance Officer - I'm sure he can point you in the right direction as far as what it will take for you to make a move when you get in. Or.................see if killerinstinct knows.

killerinstinct
04-26-07, 08:27 AM
alright it wont happen as a primary MOS but if you want to be 2336 you would be able to lat move into it.. Best bet is wait till your last year and speak to your career planner. Here are some of the guidlines for ya to keep in mind by the way, oh and there is a huge huge bonus since they are short and peeps in Iraq might wait up to a day to get EOD on the scene so its a fun field what could be more fun than playing with things that go BOOM...LOL

Must be E-3 through E-5 (males and females accepted)
* First-term Marines must be in the fiscal year of their end of active service date
* Must posses a general technical (GT) score of 110 or above on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery
* Must be willing to extend or reenlist to have 36 months of obligated service upon entering training school
* Must be at least 21 years of age at time of screening
* Must be eligible for a security clearance
* Must be interviewed by an EOD officer or staff noncommissioned officer
* Must have normal color vision and no claustrophobic tendencies
* Must be a U.S. citizen

killerinstinct
04-26-07, 08:40 AM
oh yea jake fill out your profile man as this thread might get well.. it will get deleted and i sorta like my good replies to remain intack

yellowwing
04-26-07, 09:14 AM
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/MichaelBurghard.jpg
Leading the fight is Gunnery Sgt Michael Burghardt, known as "Iron Mike" or just "Gunny". He is on his third tour in Iraq. He had become a legend in the bomb disposal world after winning the Bronze Star for disabling 64 IEDs and destroying 1,548 pieces of ordnance during his second tour. Then, on September 19, he got blown up. He had arrived at a chaotic scene after a bomb had killed four US soldiers. He chose not to wear the bulky bomb protection suit. "You can't react to any sniper fire and you get tunnel-vision," he explains. So, protected by just a helmet and standard-issue flak jacket, he began what bomb disposal officers term "the longest walk", stepping gingerly into a 5ft deep and 8ft wide crater. The earth shifted slightly and he saw a Senao base station with a wire leading from it. He cut the wire and used his 7in knife to probe the ground. "I found a piece of red detonating cord between my legs," he says. "That's when I knew I was screwed."

Realizing he had been sucked into a trap, Sgt Burghardt, 35, yelled at everyone to stay back. At that moment, an insurgent, probably watching through binoculars, pressed a button on his mobile phone to detonate the secondary device below the sergeant's feet. "A chill went up the back of my neck and then the bomb exploded," he recalls. "As I was in the air I remember thinking, 'I don't believe they got me.' I was just ticked off they were able to do it. Then I was lying on the road, not able to feel anything from the waist down."

His colleagues cut off his trousers to see how badly he was hurt. None could believe his legs were still there. "My dad's a Vietnam vet who's paralyzed from the waist down," says <NOBR>Sgt Burghardt.</NOBR> "I was lying there thinking I didn't want to be in a wheelchair next to my dad and for him to see me like that. They started to cut away my pants and I felt a real sharp pain and blood trickling down. Then I wiggled my toes and I thought, 'Good, I'm in business.' As a stretcher was brought over, adrenaline and anger kicked in. "I decided to walk to the helicopter. I wasn't going to let my team-mates see me being carried away on a stretcher." He stood and gave the insurgents who had blown him up a one-fingered salute. "I flipped them one. It was like, 'OK, I lost that round but I'll be back next week'."

Copies of a photograph depicting his defiance, taken by Jeff Bundy for the Omaha World-Herald, adorn the walls of homes across America and that of Col John Gronski, the brigade commander in Ramadi, who has hailed the image as an exemplar of the warrior spirit. Sgt Burghardt's injuries; burns and wounds to his legs and buttocks; kept him off duty for nearly a month and could have earned him a ticket home. But, like his father &mdash; who was awarded a Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts for being wounded in action in Vietnam &mdash; he stayed in Ramadi to engage in the battle against insurgents who are forever coming up with more ingenious ways of killing Americans.

Marine84
04-26-07, 10:51 AM
It gives me a little boost every time I see that picture.

Poolees - THAT is a bada$$ Marine!

killerinstinct
04-26-07, 10:56 AM
It gives me a little boost every time I see that picture.

Poolees - THAT is a bada$$ Marine!

bring back memories 84?? i know youwere 41 and everythign figured you would like to see a pic of how they actually work in use HHAHAHAHA oh and it could be you but this girl i hate shes a ***** i have had times i wanted to put a speed handle to her she whines too much

http://www.geocities.com/stucknfrisco/squibs.jpg

Marine84
04-26-07, 12:06 PM
About the only time I whined when I was told I couldn't wear my sweater and gloves on a missile buildup one time but, I shut up when they told me why. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

killerinstinct
04-26-07, 12:12 PM
lol speaking bout memories you know how in school they teach you the proper way to remove an aux cad and like everything you learn a different way.... id use my pliers to losen it and pinky **** it till the cad came out much faster than what we learned in school.

but yea does suck on the cold rainy days when you cant where gloves and you watch everyone else walking all nice and warm..

Marine84
04-26-07, 12:13 PM
Or babysitting 96 Sidewinders - like who the hell is gonna run off with one?

killerinstinct
04-26-07, 12:18 PM
LOL one of our sister squadrons forgot to pull the detent wrench and it came back with the aim-9 smoking HAHAHAHA

yellowwing
04-26-07, 01:06 PM
Or babysitting 96 Sidewinders - like who the hell is gonna run off with one?
Lance Criminals! In El Toro a couple of knuckleheads took some "scrap metal" to a junkyard. The junk man knew right away they were titanium turbine compressor blades and called the MPs right after. Those jokers got 5 years hard labor for that stunt!

Marine84
04-26-07, 02:48 PM
Lance Criminals!

LOL! I was always bad about pocketing the safety pins with the red flags hanging from them. Had a few hanging from the end of my rack in Iwakuni - OD that did room inspection one time confiscated them - Deck NCO said he asked why I had all that government property in my room.

Yeah Wing, them were some stupid ones!

Marine84
04-26-07, 02:52 PM
See Jake - there's a whole lotta fun going on in Ordnance.

yellowwing
04-26-07, 02:53 PM
Your rack was a danger zone? Yeah you are definitely a Marine! :banana:

Marine84
04-26-07, 03:16 PM
Your rack was a danger zone? Yeah you are definitely a Marine! :banana:

Still is! Just don't need the safety pins anymore.

killerinstinct
04-26-07, 04:25 PM
HAHA bomb watch was awesome... i'd either take a nap in an aircraft intake or keep the sats running and sit by it on those cold days it just sux cuz you are on the cala where there aint ****!!! but its a good down break i just hated you 41's cuz yall were picky and wanted us to secure the racks tighter.

Marine84
04-26-07, 07:40 PM
i just hated you 41's cuz yall were picky and wanted us to secure the racks tighter.

Cause we didn't want OUR napping spots to be too loose when we laid down on them!