PDA

View Full Version : Families Prep to Greet Homebound Marines

thedrifter
04-24-07, 08:29 AM
Families Prep to Greet Homebound Marines

April 24, 2007 06:59 AM

Some local Marine reserves are back on American soil after serving a tour of duty in Iraq. Anxious families are preparing to welcome home their heroes. For Erin Shattuck, the last seven months have required a lot of patience.

Erin Shattuck, wife of Charlie Company Marine: "It's been hard, but I feel like he's still the same, and that we're just going to pick up right where we left off."

Erin's husband, Lance Corporal Alex Shattuck, returned to American soil Monday morning with his fellow Charlie Company Marines after a five month tour in Iraq. During that time, Erin gave birth to their first child, a 3 month old named Jocelyn. This situation isn't rare among Marines who are about to come home. When Lance Corporal Shattuck returns home, he'll take on the new title of "dad," a big transition for both the Marine and his family.

Erin Shattuck: "It's a little nerve racking, just 'cause I don't know what to expect. Obviously I'm expecting him to be happy, but I don't know what his reaction will be to a new baby that's his, that he's never met."

To help ease that transition, Captain Mabel Balduf says the military is trying to teach family members about helping the Marines adapt.

Capt. Mabel Balduf, U.S. Marines: "We offer chaplain services and support services, and we give them an overview of what to expect from a marine coming home."

Still, Balduf says that families need to be patient as their Marine readjusts to civilian life. While Shattuck says she's nervous about changing that routine, she's says it'll be worth it and can't wait to have her husband back home.

Erin Shattuck: "I think he'll adapt fast. I don't know about the whole changing diapers thing though."

Ellie