PDA

View Full Version : Joining The Marines at 26 years old

djbo
04-23-07, 03:35 PM
I am 26 and thinking about joining the Marines. What are the ups and downs of going in at my age?

davblay
04-23-07, 03:41 PM
I am 26 and thinking about joining the Marines. What are the ups and downs of going in at my age?
Well you could be older than your DI's, but I had a man in my PLT that was 28! We called him the 'GRAND OLD MAN OF THE MARINE CORPS"!

Seriously, you will have an advantage, in that, you will have more common sense than your fellow recruites, but the stamina, well that depends on how good of shape you are in now! Don't expect any special positive treatment, any extra treatment will be--------well--------, you'll see. The main thing is to complete Boot Camp and earn the title! Right? You will be proud when you do, forever!

Thank you for considering the Corps, and I wish you good luck if you decide to join our Beloved Corps!

ssgtt32
04-23-07, 03:44 PM
Bo, are you overweight, do you have a criminal record, do you do drugs, can you pass the IST, can you pass the asvab, if you answer no to question #1,2,3, and yes to questions 4 and 5, then you should not have problem, Other than being called the oldman in Boot Camp!

Maurice

RLeon
04-23-07, 04:58 PM
Do it now before you get any older. 26 isn't that far removed from 18.
Provided you can meet all the standards you'll be alright.
Only real question is if you can stand having young whipper snappers giving you orders, and being called "grandpa". Drill Instructors?...you might be older than your platoon commander should you make it to the fleet.
:)

cplewg
04-23-07, 05:07 PM
Pro - being able to drink off base while your mates are stuck at the EM club:)
Con - having to salute and say sir to a pink cheeked butter bars that look like he still suckles his mamas teet:mad:

IMO - it is an an advantage. I was 22 when I went in - not the oldest in my platoon but close. At least I wasn't the platoon grandpa.

I think most kids go in when they are fresh out of high school. Never really held a job and have never been responsible for themselves. Makes it a little tougher for them to adjust.

Being older you should avoid a lot of the traps that immaturity will get you into when you are first turned loose on the world - such as when going to college. Difference is in the corps deals with it in a much more swift and sure manner...i.e NJP:scared:

Just get your azz in shape (if not already) before you go.

Semper Fi!!!

grodunt
04-23-07, 07:03 PM
djbo, I'm 25 and shipping out May 28th so I know what you mean. I asked myself these same questions, but age isn't a big deal. You'll catch some hell for being older but who cares everbody catches hell for something at boot. We're all nasty **** stains as recruits anyway. Being older just means you're alittle crustier than the 18 year old variety. If you want it bad enough you can have it just work hard and show your motivation. You will be older than guys that outrank you and you will be expected to follow orders just like everybody else but isn't that part of the reason why we join? For the structure and discipline? BTW, the max age to enlist in the Marines (w/o prior service) 28 to go active and 29 to go reserves so you're good to go.

Marine84
04-23-07, 07:04 PM
Go for it - I was 23 when I did it. I would have a verrrrrrrrry hard time doing any of that stuff now - body can't do at 46 what it did then.

Integrity57
04-23-07, 08:53 PM
I hear what djbo is saying, I mean I feel like I'm going to be one of the older guys in Boot and I'm only 21! and if I ship when I hope to I'll turn 22 while there, I guess I get this feeling b/c there's so many 17 and 18 year-olds on these forums talking about ship dates and that I have two younger best friends, one of which is already a PFC. in the Fleet at 19 and one who just turned 20 is about to ship. Hopefully I won't be the oldest and get the "Oldman" or "Grandpa" title, but you know what? If and when, I graduate Boot, I can go and pick up a 6-pack of Shiner and take it easy for 10 days! haha you little punks!

ssgtt32
04-23-07, 09:44 PM
If and when, I graduate Boot, I can go and pick up a 6-pack of Shiner and take it easy for 10 days! haha you little punks!

:beer: Now that S**t is funny i don't care who you are! :bunny:

Maurice

davblay
04-23-07, 10:22 PM
Yeah, just think he'll be the only graduate old enough to buy the DI a beer! :beer:

ssgtt32
04-23-07, 10:26 PM
:evilgrin: If the DI is old enough!:banana:

firebrick
04-23-07, 10:44 PM
I will turn 29 in boot camp, you are still a youngin!

davblay
04-23-07, 10:53 PM
:evilgrin: If the DI is old enough!:banana:

There is that!

killerinstinct
04-24-07, 08:28 AM

just that youll be taking order from people younger than you and the DI's are probably around your age...

and youll be called old man but thats not a bad age....in my platoon we had a 31 y/o so go for it better late than never...:beer:

Integrity57
04-24-07, 11:01 AM
You're right firebrick, you are a geezer compared to me ;) lol j/k. I think it's good to have some older recruits in a platoon, b/c they're more mature and probably do better in team exercises and things of that sort that younger guys may not have much experience with.