thedrifter
04-23-07, 06:26 AM
Marine returns home

Howell man ends 8-month tour of duty in Iraq
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 04/23/07

BY ALEX BIESE
COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU
Post Comment

HOWELL — During the eight months that Marine Cpl. Jack Headley was in Iraq, serving in Anbar province, he would do whatever he could to make the daily trip to the phone center for any contact from his friends or family.

"Every day I would go out of my way to get out to the phone center," Headley, 26, of Georgia Tavern Road said Saturday. Sometimes, depending on where he was stationed, he had to take a bus to the other side of the base. "Whether that meant I got less sleep at night, I didn't care."

And there would be something awaiting him — a telephone call, e-mail or photos that his wife, Kristen, also 26, had sent from a family gathering.

On Saturday, Jack Headley, who is also a township police officer, didn't have to rely on the telephone or Internet. He was back with his family after an eight-month tour of duty.

He served in the 3rd Battalion, 14th Marines, from September 2006 until this month as a member of the Marine reserves based in Philadelphia.

Headley joined the Marine Corps in January 2003 and has been a member of the Howell Police Department since July 2004.

"He's a very good police officer, very proactive, loves what he does," said Robert Ortenzi of Howell, who is a township police detective and Jack's brother-in-law.

"I know he can't wait to go back to work, believe it or not," Ortenzi said.

After hearing for three years that he would be shipping off to Iraq, Headley said the final word that he would be shipping out came in January 2006.

"After hearing it so many times, it was almost a relief to go and do it, as opposed to having it hang over your head," he said.

The Headleys were married in July 2004. Kristen Headley said she "hated it" when she learned her husband was going to Iraq. She credits her family with helping her get through his time away.

She also said that in the final days leading up to his departure, she wanted him to go, because "once you go, the countdown starts, and it's one day closer to seeing him again."

Jack Headley reported to Philadelphia in May. Among the family he left behind was his daughter, Gianna, who turned 3 this month.

While "leaving everybody was hard enough," Headley said it was even more difficult "leaving (Gianna) here and not being able to physically be there for her."

Headley's father, who is also named Jack and lives in Lancaster, Pa., said it was "horrible" to have his son in Iraq.

"I was very proud of him, because he always does a good job, regardless of what job he's doing . . . (but) there's a constant worry, because you know where they are and you know what can happen," the elder Headley said on Saturday at a homecoming held at the Georgia Tavern Road home where his son and daughter-in-law live with her parents, Robert and MaryAnn Ortenzi. "Today was one of the best days of my life."

While her husband was in Iraq, Kristen Headley said, members of Howell Township Policemen's Benevolent Association Local 228 supported her family in many ways, including donating bulletproof vests to line the interior of his vehicle, donating a laptop computer and having someone dressed as Santa Claus visit their home around the holidays.

"It was like they didn't forget about the family while he wasn't here," she said.

Asked about his time in Iraq, Headley offered few details. "Some days were worse than others. Some days were good; some days were bad. It's hard to put into a few short words."

Fighting in the war on terrorism, he said, was far different from protecting and serving township residents, although it was "the same sort of environment where you're working as a team."

"Here, you're dealing with people who can speak the English language," he said. "There aren't as many communication barriers."

As of now, Headley said, he is not expected to serve another tour in Iraq. Following a few days of demobilization in Philadelphia, he said he should be back at work by the end of May and plans to resume his civilian life.

"I'm just happy to be home and back with my family," he said.

Kristen Headley added, "You feel like you just won the lottery."

Ellie