PDA

View Full Version : Newbie/wannabe: about myself and a few questions

TrumpetCorp
04-23-07, 12:16 AM
Hey guys and gals! First time posting and I'm excited about the ball I just began to roll! First of all, I'd like to start off by thanking all you Marines for your time and service protecting and upholding the freedoms of this fine country. God bless all of you.

Here's a little about myself. I'm a freshman at a small university in Chicago, and I am currently majoring in Music Performance in Trumpet, and planning to add Physics as another major. Lately I've been yearning to serve my country more than economically, but being a freshmen in college I've been back and forth about what I want to do with my life. Somehow I keep coming back to wanting to serve. And it's coming to fruition that that's exactly what I should do.

I've thought about Marine bands and what not, but I need to serve more than that. So I've decided I want infantry, and thats partly why I'm planning to major in physics. I want to develope new futuristic defense/offensive equipment/weaponry for you guys. And infantry will help me find out what is needed for the front line.

For the past week I've been roaming this forum gathering info and trying to make decisions, so I've decided to go ahead and jump on in the pool and start asking questions.

I am currently in the process of working towards PLC this summer, I'm not sure if I'm too late or not, but I might as well push for it. If I'm late, I'm late. I'm filling out the rough app, and throwing around some emails with an OSO. I'm actually waiting on a reply so I can meet him before I leave for home (NH).

My problem is that I've been so busy with school, I've lost my physique I once had from years of club soccer. Right now I'm at 7 pullups, 90 crunches, and I don't even know what my run time is. But I'm working on it. I am 6', and 170lbs. Now that school is winding down (3 weeks left), I can overdrive my workouts.

I will probably find out answers to these tribulations once I interview with the OSO in person, but why not ask you fine people so I can build up community.

I really want this to happen for me, but I'm just concerned about whether I'm physically fit. And I know I'm not there yet.

Medically speaking: I think I'm okay, but there are a few things that might be a concern. (1) I have a slight case of exercise induced asthma (2) I also have a few problems with my wrists. I broke one twice, had a small surgery(to see what the problem was), and now it clicks and becomes slightly irritated if I put pressure on it the wrong way or excessively. The other is strained from playing the trumpet. I can lift weights and do everyday stuff fine. If it becomes irritated I only need to ice it up and take some tylenol. (3) I have a slight mental processing issue. It's very minimal but might be troublesome in some instances. It takes me a little longer to process information and properly react. This is something I really hope to tackle and overcome if I get into PLC. Another thing I hope to tackle is indecisiveness.

I honestly want to get into this program eventually, because I truly believe it will make me a better person and help me overcome some things that slow me down. I hope to be joined into this wonderful and honorable family known as the Marines sometime in the future. If any of you have any suggestions or any idea whether those things might prove to be a problem, please let me know.

From what I've read in these forums it seems like the Marines is the place to be. Pride and teamwork is a big deciding figure for me. And you help out those who show effort and are willing to learn.

I know I have a few more questions, but the post is long enough as it is. Thanks for reading and I hope to be considered part of this community soon.

God bless

davblay
04-23-07, 12:22 AM
With some of your medical problems, you really need to talk to a recruiter! He can give you the best advise! ;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-23-07, 01:21 AM
You want to get all of those medical issues figured out before you try to join. Since you are looking at being an officer look into how they get their jobs. I'm not up to speed now, but a few years ago you didn't pick like enlisted people do. That is something you may want to consider.