PDA

View Full Version : How do you take your coffee?

YLDNDN6
04-22-07, 11:04 AM
There have been a lot of deep and volatile discussions lately, so I figured I would start a different sort of thread. The question is "How do you take your coffee?" The reason I ask is that I am a little concerned about myself lately. I have been a coffee drinker for the better part of 25 years, and a lot of that coffee drinking consisted of pouring the instant stuff straight into my mouth and chasing it with a cup of water. Always black. No cream, no sugar, no nothing. That is until I met my wife, about two and a half years ago. The first time she brought me a cup of coffee, it was loaded with some sort of flavored creamer, which quite frankly, improved the whole coffee experience immensely. So, here I am, two and a half years later, and drinking my third cup of the day, and have used a creamer which makes it taste like a cup of hot cocoa, and I am wondering...is it time for some hormone therapy, or is this OK??? Let's hear it, Marines...I can take it!!! lol

yellowwing
04-22-07, 11:23 AM
Straight up nothing in it. Every once in a while that hazelnut flavored is good.

A good Irish coffee is great for medicinal purposes on some of those foggy mornings. :beer:

Zulu 36
04-22-07, 01:33 PM
I don't drink coffee as much as I used to - Diet Pepsi is my poison now. When I first started, early in my USMC career, I did cream and sugar (three or four spoonfuls). Before I got out six years later, I was a straight black coffee drinker. Still am when I do drink it.

My Cuban in-laws thought I was nuts when I drank Cuban coffee straight black. They know I'm nuts now.

Sometimes I liked a coffee mocha in the field, MRE style. Black coffee mixed with MRE cocoa, one sugar pack, and one creamer pack.

I have always prefered my hot tea with milk and sugar, even now.

Tastes change.

davecerami275
04-22-07, 02:50 PM
black with a dash of honey

thedrifter
04-22-07, 03:06 PM
A little sugar, since I'm so sweet:D, with some cream..

Ellie

jetdawgg
04-22-07, 03:13 PM
When I drink coffee it is black no sugar. I generally drink tea

Devildogg4ever
04-22-07, 05:18 PM
Instant, black coffee!!!

sgt tony
04-22-07, 06:10 PM
just plain old river bank coffee with the ground just put in with the water. It keeps the worms away:evilgrin:

Semper Fi
and Carry On:iwo:

semperfi170
04-22-07, 07:32 PM
Fresh ground, fresh brewed, straight no additives!:)

Once in awhile chased with B&B a habit I picked up from my Dad.:)

Hey, what is black water for making coffee? Is that from the swamps around Muskegon?:banana:

Phantom Blooper
04-22-07, 08:32 PM
HOT,STRONG & BLACK!!!:banana:

crate78
04-22-07, 08:39 PM
Black with a bit of sugar. I could stick my finger in it, but then it would get too sweet.

When I flew a desk for an insurance company, we had a cappucino machine in the coffee mess. I found a cup of that went well in the middle of the afternoon.

crate

mrbsox
04-22-07, 08:44 PM
BLACK, three scoops to a pot. Life ain't worth running till that 2nd pot starts to brew.

Don't care for starbucks or ben&jerrys or javamochavon'nilla or any other such crap.... just coffee.
And yep... 'riverbank' coffee is pretty good. Foggy frosty morn, camp starts to stir, and mrB's already got a pot setting on the side of the fire pit. SHOCK it with a shot of cold water, and the grounds fall to the bottom. Pour off a cup or too (gently) and then let her set buy the coals.
Ahhhhhh ......

Best coffe I ever had... came from a 'steel pot' somewhere in the Med, early '78. Freezin Fkn cold, miserable, everything wet, and we finally convinced Gunny to let us build a fire to put some brew on. We thru every scrap of coffee, cocoa (B2 unit), creamer, sugar, and sh!t disc (B3 unit) into that helmet. Dam... it was good !! :thumbup:

Phantom Blooper
04-22-07, 08:48 PM
Foggy frosty morn, camp starts to stir, and mrB's already got a pot setting on the side of the fire pit. SHOCK it with a shot of cold water, and the grounds fall to the bottom. Pour off a cup or too (gently) and then let her set buy the coals.
Ahhhhhh ......

Cowboy Coffee!!!!! Outstanding!!!!!!!!!:beer:

BigPhil
04-22-07, 09:44 PM
Black and hot.

8th&I Marine
04-23-07, 07:57 AM
Black with a little dash of cinnamon

Cantrell:flag:

killerinstinct
04-23-07, 08:00 AM
black.. real coffee drinkers dont drink it any other way...

Though lately i have just been drinking tea

YLDNDN6
04-23-07, 08:32 AM
Semperfi170...I meant the coffee was always plain black...Blackwater is a Doobie Brother's tune!!! lol

ringoffire
04-23-07, 01:47 PM
I take mine with some milk

The husband goes back and forth between, black and adding cream and/or sugar

drumcorpssnare
04-23-07, 02:22 PM
I just pop the lid on the can of Maxwell House, and pour a cup or so of fresh grounds down my gullet!!!:evilgrin: (But then, I'm a US Marine!) LOL:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

recon532002
04-23-07, 02:31 PM
Hot And Black, Strong Stand a Spoon In It

Recon

FistFu68
04-23-07, 02:42 PM
:evilgrin: BLACK-BIGG MUG,THEN CUT WITH 1 SHOT ONLY;JACK DANIEL'S!MAKES YOU'R MARINE DAY START OFF FRISKY!!! GIVES NEW MEANING TO (FIRE WATER) :-):usmc: :iwo:

davblay
04-23-07, 03:01 PM
Just like it comes out of the pot!!

You guys remember the Marine Corps coffee, right? My brother was a cook in our Corps for 25 years, he said the coffee came in 4 stages;
1. Fresh made, early morning, weak
2. Lunch time, a little stronger
3. Evening chow, Coffee is just right!
4. Left over for the guards, out F***ing standing Coffee! Strong enough to walk!

He said they only made coffee once a day, and it lasted all day! Just got stronger as time went by!

ggyoung
04-23-07, 05:06 PM
I used to like it with a shot of 151 rum. But now I just like sheephearders coffee. Get the water in the pot at a roiling boil, throw in two hand fulls og coffee, let it boil 2-3 mins. longer and pour in a half of a cup of cold water to settle the grounds to the bottom.

mrbsox
04-23-07, 05:45 PM
http://www.combatindex.com/recipes/Coffee(Manual%20Urn).pdf

Yield 100 1 CupPortion
Ingredient COFFEE,ROASTED,GROUND Issue
Measure 2 qts 1 cup Weight 13-3/4 oz
Method 1 2 3
Fill boiler with water to desired level.
See Guidelines for Coffee Urn Capacities.
Turn on heat.
Spread ground coffee evenly in urn bag or filter paper in wire basket; set in top of urn.
Close urn cover.
When boiler water reaches a vigorous boil, open blow-over valve and spray water over coffee for 3 to 4 minutes. Close blow-over valve.
Remove and discard grounds.
If urn has no agitation system, re-pour about 1/3 of the coffee directly back into boiler.
Rinse urn bag and store in cold water.
Gradually replenish water no more than 1 gallon at a time whenever gauge shows less than half full.
4 5Notes 11-7/8 pound or 2-1/4 quarts roasted and ground coffee and 6-3/4 gallon water will yield 100 8-ounce portions or 6-1/4 gallon coffee.

mrbsox
04-23-07, 05:53 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=117174#post117174

jebollenbach
04-23-07, 08:17 PM
Hot and black. sugar and creamer is for the Navy.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-24-07, 12:45 AM
BLACK. Only.

YLDNDN6
04-24-07, 07:19 AM
Alright...here's what I will do...I'll brew a pot of coffee today, leave it on until tomorrow sometime, then drink it black...maybe that will be therapy enough for me...I just sort of took a liking to those fufu little flavored creamers...LOL

semperfi170
04-24-07, 07:34 AM
Now you've done it! :banana: The society for defamation of flavored creamers will probably come down you for using "fufu" to describe flavored creamers.:D Have you ever wondered if it is a liberal plot that there has been a proliferation of flavored creamers? After all there must be some sort of mind altering drugs in all those flavored creamers, why else would anybody constantly use them?:devious: