PDA

View Full Version : Some guy came up to me today.

Achped
04-21-07, 10:32 AM
I had a Marines T-shirt on today at a library, and this REALLY old black gentleman came up to me and randomly asked if I had been to Fallujah. I said no sir, I was 16 during the battle of Fallujah. He then asked if I was a Marine and I explained how I was in the Delayed Entry Program and ship to Parris Island in June.

He started like, to almost get a tearful look in his eye, and said something to the effect of "Guys like you are why the Corps is the best. Because it's full of brave men who've seen something evil that needs to be defeated and don't trust anyone else enough to do it right. Semper Fi"

He patted me on the shoulder and left.

It got me thinking. That's a hell of alot to live up to. I'm an average 18 year old guy attending an average high school living with my average parents. How the heck am I supposed to join the same ranks as Dan Daly? Or Chesty Puller? Or Smedley Butler? Or Jim Nelson? ;) How in the world am I going to join a Corps that defeated the Germans at Bellaeu Wood? Or took friggin Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima? My mom still makes me breakfast on Sundays for crying out loud!

Those drill instructors must be the most talented group of individuals in the entire world to turn groups of average diddly bopping high schoolers into the finest fighting force the world has ever seen.

devildoghopeful
04-21-07, 10:42 AM
Re-read your post. You seem to be claiming that you're an average teen etc. and that you are apprehensive about living up to the likes of Chesty Puller, Dan Daly and the ledgendary Jim Nelson...

I see where you're coming from, you're a normal guy right, not like those heroes right?

Wrong.

You have sworn into the United States Marine Corps, the greatest fighting force on the planet, which in itself sets you apart from most people your age. You are NOT an average diddly bopping high schooler.

You ARE however, like me, still very much a maggot - and that's where the Drill Instructors come in...after they're done with you, I hope to see you holding your head high and standing proudly among the next generation of Chesty's and Nelson's.

Moto story by the way.

Go get some!

davblay
04-21-07, 11:01 AM
ACHPED what you experienced is just the tip of the iceburg! There are Marines out hear that you would never think about. We are everywhere, and we watch you young pups, and appreciate your honored service. You will see a lot of that from now on, more after you graduate and get the title!

Carry on Poolees!

Phantom Blooper
04-21-07, 11:03 AM
Good story Archped! There will always be BIG boots to fill in the illustrious ranks of the Marine Corps. The new breed is doing an outstanding job to preserve the 232 years of honorable service since the birth of the Marine Corps. For this they all deserve a snappy slow hand salute. Older veterans and most of the American populace in their right mind hold the Marine Corps and all armed force branches in high regard and respect. You and the poolees left on this site will have your day to fill those boots and as long as you keep the cases of dumbassitis and cranial retumitis off of your plan of the day you ALL should do a fine job and earn your title and your day of fame.

But before you and devildoghopeful continue on your quest of fame I would go to the nearest fishing supply store or Wally World and get you a pair each of hip boots and maybe some of those new fangled wipes for all occasions to clean your noses so that in continuing your journey that you only carry the bare essentials needed to carry out your assigned mission! :evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-21-07, 11:14 AM
Achped, you are just an average guy. So are the rest of us. Marines throughout history were just average guys that answered the call. Some of those names become well known for their actions on the field of battle. Dan Daly, Smedley Butler, Chesty Puller, Pappy Boyington, and the list goes on and on. These men did extraordinary things when they needed to. But, that doesn't really tell the story. I firmly believe that most, if not all, Marines would have done the same things if they were in the same situation. Valor is a common virtue in our Corps.

Just don't try to measure yourself against these names. You'll never believe you are worthy of being considered "one of them." But, when you complete recruit training, you will be a part of the long, proud tradition of our Corps. You may or may not be put into a position like those of the names you know. But, you'll be up to the task if you are.

Check this link for all Medal of Honor winning Marines. http://www.marines.mil/moh.nsf

Motorola07
04-21-07, 02:09 PM
I still haven't got one of those kind of replys... I always get "what the hell are you thinking..." "YOU DUMBASS" "You are going to get shot" "why the Marines"

Was told not to let someone dog me, or the Corps. To get in there face.

SgtHMH
04-21-07, 02:26 PM
It is not something that can be inherited, nor can it be purchased. No amount of money will buy it. It is not for sale and it may not be borrowed. It isn't a birthright and it doesn't come easily. It must be earned. It requires honor, courage and commitment. It's reward is the result of hard work and even spilled blood. It is a sacrifice. It remembers those lives that went before. Once earned, It can never be taken away. You and the brotherhood of the Corps, maintain it forever.

The Title

United States Marine

Do you have what it takes ? If you do, stand on the yellow foot prints and pick up a weapon, and earn the title Marine.

Semper Fi

Marine Sgt. Hoss, Once A Marine, Always A Marine

poolee18
04-21-07, 02:31 PM
I still haven't got one of those kind of replys... I always get "what the hell are you thinking..." "YOU DUMBASS" "You are going to get shot" "why the Marines"

Was told not to let someone dog me, or the Corps. To get in there face.

I get the same thing but I dont listen to them.

grodunt
04-21-07, 04:03 PM
If you think you get it bad try being 25 and almost done with college. Hell, I', older than my recruiter, LOL! Hardly any of my friends understand and some people think I'm crazy. Just yesterday a TA in one of my labs asked me if I was in the Army while I was on this site with an EGA staring him in the face. I told him, "Not the Army, the Marines and no not yet..." and he asks, "The Marines? Why? And what do you mean not yet???" Like I'm crazy for even considering it at my age. People like that will never understand what the Marines are about and why we join.

Also, I tend to agree with devildoghopful in that you made a decision when you swore in to no longer be an "average diddly bopping high schooler." The fact that many of you have taken the inititive to learn about Chesty Puller and Smedley Butler on your own says alot about your love for the Corps. Do you think the average high schooler has any clue who these fine men are and the sacrifices that Marines make everyday for their nasty asses? Hell no they don't and I'm glad because they can keep their Starbuck's, BMW's, and three piece suits. I'd rather have an M-16, a K-Bar and a bloodstripe!

jinelson
04-21-07, 08:17 PM
by Achped - It got me thinking. That's a hell of alot to live up to. I'm an average 18 year old guy attending an average high school living with my average parents. How the heck am I supposed to join the same ranks as Dan Daly? Or Chesty Puller? Or Smedley Butler? Or Jim Nelson? How in the world am I going to join a Corps that defeated the Germans at Bellaeu Wood? Or took friggin Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima? My mom still makes me breakfast on Sundays for crying out loud!

Those drill instructors must be the most talented group of individuals in the entire world to turn groups of average diddly bopping high schoolers into the finest fighting force the world has ever seen.

Matt and Alex I appreciate being thought of with the likes of Marines like "Dan Daly Or Chesty Puller Or Smedley Butler. The truth is all Marines deserve that admiration, I was just a Marine and did my duty to the best of my ability. We are brothers sisters and are many working as a team that has become one mighty awesome force respected by the world. In that vain anyone who aspires to carry on our tradition by making the same commitment that we did is worthy of our respect. You are the torch bearers of our tradition. When I was in Vietnam we stood on the shoulders of the Marines that fought in WWI, WWII and Korea and I for one didnt think we could hold a candle to them. Now we have the Marines that are fighting the war on terrorism and I wonder how I could possibly measure up to the likes of them even at 18. They on the other hand think the same of us and thats just a Marine thing I guess. The one thing that I can say without any hesitation is I am proud of all that went before me and those who follow after me. We are Marines OORAH!!! Semper Fi. You are correct about the Drill Instructors but they are almost God like in making Marines.

Jim

Integrity57
04-22-07, 02:15 AM
"The Marines? Why? And what do you mean not yet???"

they can keep their Starbuck's, BMW's, and three piece suits. I'd rather have an M-16, a K-Bar and a bloodstripe!

I know what grodunt means, both myself and my best friend have gotten the "Why the Marines? Join the Air Force" crap more times than we care to admit. Certain members of my family don't understand, and some do, hell my dad is really the only supportive member of my family in the decision I have made and he is an Air Force Vet! And I'm sorry, but driving a BMW, drinking expensive coffee, and sitting on my ass in some office all day just doesn't interest me, I'd rather die knowing that I did something real with my life, something that might make a difference in some way.

Bullrider
04-22-07, 02:31 AM
I know what grodunt means, both myself and my best friend have gotten the "Why the Marines? Join the Air Force" crap more times than we care to admit. Certain members of my family don't understand, and some do, hell my dad is really the only supportive member of my family in the decision I have made and he is an Air Force Vet! And I'm sorry, but driving a BMW, drinking expensive coffee, and sitting on my ass in some office all day just doesn't interest me, I'd rather die knowing that I did something real with my life, something that might make a difference in some way.

Im not gonna lie, driving a BMW interests me very much even though im into rat rods and the like. Yet joining the worlds finest men & woman, after going through an excruisiating(pardon my spelling) 3 months just sounds like a successful and fulfilling life for me. The BMW and $5 coffee is only matieralistic and that can be taken away any moment. However to be a Marine one day(hopefully) will give somebody pride and heart that they need/want. And the foresaid pride can never be taken away.

Master Sephiroth
04-22-07, 09:31 AM
It may not be my place to say this, but these Marines you mentioned, and every other Marine were probably just average teenagers at one point. It was after Recruit Training or OCS that they became America's best.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-22-07, 10:55 AM
they can keep their Starbuck's, BMW's, and three piece suits. I'd rather have an M-16, a K-Bar and a bloodstripe!

Well, I don't like Starbucks, but I do drive a BMW and wear suits on a regular basis- so I suppose you can have both.

poolarnold
04-22-07, 11:24 AM
I live in New York that should be enough said but here is the rest of it my parents aren't going to my graduation from bootcamp thats how much they dont support it and all I have is the people on this site to lean on when I need moto (thank you all) but you know what... I wouldn't trade it for the freakin world because with all the ciritcizim the ridicule and harasment I'll know when I get my Eagle, Globe, and Anchor i will be more of an American then those people could ever be.....keep that in mind when people bother you...

Marine84
04-22-07, 11:50 AM
my parents aren't going to my graduation from bootcamp thats how much they dont support it

They'll come around, trust me. Even if you don't get ONE freakin letter from either of them while you're in bootcamp - write THEM as often as possible - when they SEE the change in your letters, they'll be there on graduation day. They just don't want you to go because we're in the middle of a war - it's a "parenting" thing - you'll be the same when you have kids yourself some day. One of yours will come home one day with a Recruiter riding his shadow and you'll be the one to go ballistic and tell him/her that "OH HELL NO YOU'RE NOT!". They'll be at graduation, just make sure you send all the info to them once you have it.

Jopson
04-22-07, 12:03 PM
Ya my parents were the same way at first, they said things like "You stupid!, all your going do is get shot and give us misery" and "Were not supporting you at all" But like Marine84 said they will come around. After i shown them all the time i spend each day doing PT and or just going to the office to get as much knowledge as i can before i go. They came around, Now they support me 100% They said its because "You have shown me that this is what you really want to do with your life, And this is the only thing you ever acted this mature about". Now with my parents at my side confidence and motovation is shooting out of the ROOF!!! ... They will come around.

Integrity57
04-22-07, 05:11 PM
How come no one brings up Mr. Leatherneck himself, Lou Diamond, when speaking of legendary Marines? He's got to be one the most definitive "Old Breed" Marines among the Enlisted ranks of yester-year.

CantWaitToSign
04-26-07, 11:38 AM
I had a Marines T-shirt on today at a library, and this REALLY old black gentleman came up to me and randomly asked if I had been to Fallujah. I said no sir, I was 16 during the battle of Fallujah. He then asked if I was a Marine and I explained how I was in the Delayed Entry Program and ship to Parris Island in June.

He started like, to almost get a tearful look in his eye, and said something to the effect of "Guys like you are why the Corps is the best. Because it's full of brave men who've seen something evil that needs to be defeated and don't trust anyone else enough to do it right. Semper Fi"

He patted me on the shoulder and left.

It got me thinking. That's a hell of alot to live up to. I'm an average 18 year old guy attending an average high school living with my average parents. How the heck am I supposed to join the same ranks as Dan Daly? Or Chesty Puller? Or Smedley Butler? Or Jim Nelson? ;) How in the world am I going to join a Corps that defeated the Germans at Bellaeu Wood? Or took friggin Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima? My mom still makes me breakfast on Sundays for crying out loud!

I have had those situations so many times I get my haircut like a high and tight just not to Marine Standards(doesn't fade to skin and is a lil too long) and I'll wear one of my Marines Tshirts to the mall or something and I'll have old guys come up and ask "Youre a Marine Right?" or "When did you graduate son?" And I can tell by their posture and appearance they are Marines and then I have to tell them "No sir I leave this August though" and they say "good glad to hear it" but I can see them get a look of sadness in their eyes...makes me feel like a wannabe

HurricaneRJ
04-26-07, 02:39 PM
They'll come around, trust me. Even if you don't get ONE freakin letter from either of them while you're in bootcamp - write THEM as often as possible - when they SEE the change in your letters, they'll be there on graduation day. They just don't want you to go because we're in the middle of a war - it's a "parenting" thing - you'll be the same when you have kids yourself some day. One of yours will come home one day with a Recruiter riding his shadow and you'll be the one to go ballistic and tell him/her that "OH HELL NO YOU'RE NOT!". They'll be at graduation, just make sure you send all the info to them once you have it. You basically nailed it, I brought my recruiter home and my mom was cu$$ing his ass right back out the door.

My twin brother graduated Army Infantry Training today and she said that she wasn't gonna go and she never wrote them, but when he called us and told us that graduation was at 0900 this morning. She awoke the whole house at 0700, we were the first one theres. (Even considering we live in Columbus, Georgia)

I know my mom dosen't support me going infantry (Not common for a black man, she's says.), but already my recruiters have shaped me up just alittle bit. Lost alot of weight so far(53lbs) and got some to go. (28lbs)

Like you said, She'll come around.