PDA

View Full Version : Sculptor turns emblem into work of art

Shaffer
03-03-03, 10:16 AM
The Command Museum here recently added yet another Claudio D'Agostino original to its halls of Marine Corps history, a sculpted Marine Corps Emblem similar to the emblem adorning the center archway of the arcade and the parade deck flagpole.

Through the support of the Command Museum and the MCRD Historical Society, D'Agostino, a professional artist based in Southern California, has created several sculptures for display in the museum and around the Depot. His creations include a recruit and drill instructor bust and a bust of Gen. John A. Lejeune in addition to the recent Marine Corps emblem sculpture.

"Creating sculptures for the Marines gives me so many feelings - love for America, love for its people, ... through my creations I hope to keep the love of life and the love of Corps alive for others to feel throughout the years to come," said D'Agostino.

D'Agostino strove to capture that "look" in the eyes of a drill instructor that recruits claim to never forget when creating his drill instructor bust. Likewise, according to the sculptor, there was something innocent and determined in the faces of the recruits he studied in order to create the recruit bust.

The recruits and drill instructors who see these busts should see themselves in some way, according to D'Agostino.

"He really captured them, the look in their eyes when they first get to the Depot," said Val Jurco, volunteer, MCRD Command Museum, of the recruit bust.

In addition to the sculptures on display, D'Agostino donated a hand-sculpted replica of the original Gen. Lejeune bust to the MCRD Museum Historical Society's annual fundraising dinner, the Globe and Anchor Salute, last fall.

His most recent creation can be viewed in the Command Museum during normal business hours, Monday-Wednesday and Fridays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.