PDA

View Full Version : In League With The Stones...

Choicemaker
04-21-07, 08:37 AM
In 9/07 it will be 62 years since I landed at Nagasaki with the 2nd Marine Division in the original occupation of Japan following World War II. In August every year, I have watched and listened to the good-hearted "peaceniks" and their light-headed symbolism- without-substance of ringing bells, flying pigeons, floating candles, and sonorous chanting and I recall again that "Peace is not a cause - it is an effect."

In July, 1945, my fellow 8th Marines RCT and I returned to Saipan following the successful conclusion of the Battle of Okinawa. We were issued new equipment and replacements joined each outfit in preparation for our coming amphibious assault on the home islands of Japan.

B-29 bombing had leveled the major cities of Japan, including Kobe, Osaka, Nagoya, Yokohama, Yokosuka, and Tokyo.

We were informed we would land three Marine divisions and six Army divisions, perhaps abreast, with large reserves following us in. It was estimated that it would cost half a million casualties to subdue the Japanese homeland.

In August, the A-bomb was dropped on Hiroshima but the Japanese government refused to surrender. Three days later a second A-bomb was dropped on the city of Nagasaki. The Imperial Japanese government finally surrendered.

Following the 1941 sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, a Japanese admiral said, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." Indeed, they had. Not surprisingly, the atomic bomb was produced by a free people functioning in a free environment. Not surprisingly because the creative process is a natural human choice-making process and inventiveness occurs most readily where choice-making opportunities abound. Tamper with a giant, indeed! Tyrants, beware: Free men are nature's pit bulls of Liberty! The Japanese learned the hard way what tyrants of any generation should know: Never start a war with a free people - you never know what they may invent!

As a newly assigned member of a U.S. Marine intelligence section, I had a unique opportunity to visit many major cities of Japan, including Nagasaki and Hiroshima, within weeks of their destruction. For a full year I observed the beaches, weapons, and troops we would have assaulted had the A-bombs not been dropped. Yes, it would have been very destructive for all, but especially for the people of Japan.

When we landed in Japan, for what came to be the finest and most humane occupation of a defeated enemy in recorded history, it was with great appreciation, thanksgiving, and praise for the atomic bomb team, including the aircrew of the Enola Gay. A half million American homes had been spared the Gold Star flag, including, I'm sure, my own.

Whenever I hear the apologists expressing guilt and shame for A- bombing and ending the war Japan had started (they ignore the cause-effect relation between Pearl Harbor and Nagasaki), I have noted that neither the effete critics nor the puff-adder politicians are among us in the assault landing-craft or the stinking rice paddies of their suggested alternative, "conventional" warfare. Stammering reluctance is obvious and continuous, but they do love to pontificate about the Rights that others, and the Bomb, have bought and preserved for them.

The vanities of ignorance and camouflaged cowardice abound as license for the assertion of virtuous "rights" purchased by the blood of others - those others who have borne the burden and physical expense of Rights whining apologists so casually and self-righteously claim.

At best, these hypocrites demonstrate a profound and cryptic ignorance of causal relations, myopic perception, and dull I.Q. At worst, there is a word and description in The Constitution defining those who love the enemy more than they love their own countrymen and their own posterity. Every Yankee Doodle Dandy knows what that word is.

In 1945, America was the only nation in the world with the Bomb and it behaved responsibly and respectfully. It remained so until two among us betrayed it to the Kremlin. Still, this American weapon system has been the prime deterrent to earth's then latest model tyranny: seventy years of Soviet definition, coercion, and domination of individual human beings. (Is there any other kind? 'Collectives' are mere verbal conveniences - not Reality.)

The message is this: Trust Freedom. Remember, tyrants never learn. The restriction of Freedom is the limitation of human choice, and Choice is the fulcrum-point of the creative process in human affairs.

As earth's Choicemaker, it is our identity on nature's beautiful blue planet and the natural premise of man's free institutions, environment, and respectful relations with one another. Made in the
image of our Creator, free men choose, create, and progress - or die.

Free men should not fear or envy the oppressor nor choose any of his ways. Recall with a confident Job and a victorious David, "Know ye not that you are in league with the stones of the field?"

semper fidelis
Jim Baxter
Sgt. USMC
WWII & Korean War
5th Grade Teacher - 30 [I]wonderful '57-'87 years!
vincit veritas

+ + +

<center>

</center>

semperfi170
04-21-07, 08:49 AM
:usmc: I salute you and thank you very much for a great post and your service to our Country and Corps!!! Your message is great. :iwo:

Choicemaker
04-21-07, 09:12 AM
In 1945, as a member of an S-2, battalion intelligence section <br />
of the 2nd Marine Division, we were charged with the original <br />
occupation of Nagasaki at the end of World War II. Among <br />
our...

bigdog43701
04-21-07, 09:24 AM
a big OHHHHH_RAHHHHHHHHH at you Jim....thank you also for your service to the Corps and your contry. SEMPER FI

Choicemaker
04-21-07, 09:29 AM
Dear '50,'
Last week, Oprah Winfrey had a guest panel on her show discussing the recent problem with Don Imus and his comments re the college gals. Today, she will have them back for a second further discussion on how to combat racism, etc. into the future. I sent one of the best panelists the following two articles plus, in hopes he would be even more effective. His name is Jason Whitlock; a columnist with the KC Star. Watch and pray. Love, Jim Baxter vincit veritas semper fidelis

1. "GROUPism"

A recent commentary in a local newspaper includes much I agree with -- certainly with the helpful intention it conveys. However, as with most political solutions, it maintains the problem via a suggested solution. As long as human beings are dealt with "by the group," the problem will be maintained and continue. Unless and until Americans practice respect for people as Individuals,I the illusion of reality by-the-group will persist. Good intentions not withstanding, in my whole 82 year life, I have yet to see a group.

<o:p></o:p>
Collectives, plural units, are purely verbal conveniences about Individuals -- not Reality.Is there any other kind of human? That is Reality! Small wonder politicians never really solve human problems: They enlarge, extend, and abuse! They take dead aim -- and miss a target that is non-existent! Additionally, at no point did the article refer to the reality and ultimate diversity that exists from person to person -- which by ignoring -- reinforces the collectivist (gang) opinion that human value must make recourse to group-ism in order to find self-value. Nature has a built-in solution IF we pay attention to its non-verbal reality.

It is individuals who give value to people-by-the-group - not the other way round.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thus, it is our thoughtful criteria and their effect that are needful of examination -- not our hearts and intentions.

jim baxter
santa maria, ca
vincit veritas
semper fidelis

LETTERS
SANTA MARIA TIMES
A reader has called for "A need of Leadership." While he suggests deeds <o:p></o:p>aimed at solving California's political mess, he offers no guidelines for<o:p></o:p> the very thing he cites: Needed Leadership.
This absence is obvious at every level of daily human experience from international to local. While true leadership will manifest some virtue, from courage to honesty to knowledge, etc., all leaders will have their human shortcomings. They will, however, by historic definition, exemplify two particular qualities which, if lacking, will delete that individual from the ranks of true leadership: 1. Be Teachable and 2. Demonstrate Vision.<o:p></o:p>
Because each human has a universe-sized Ignorance, compared to a limited shoe-box-sized Knowledge, we must all be on-going Teachable -- prepared to learn from principle, history, and experience. If humans do not recognize and admit to their own ignorances they cannot learn.<o:p></o:p>
The first prime virtue makes possible the second: Vision. The Principled-ability to see and anticipate the consequences of proposed choices into the future: Change and discard some and choose other options. The Creative Process is a choice-making process. Allegiance to Principle equips leaders and all individuals with this necessary Standard. Without loyalty to Principle there can be No Vision. Lacking vision, they will blunder, fail, - and we fall....<o:p></o:p>
At every level of leadership in churches, government, education, civics, business, arts, science, and the press, we lack many leaders who apply these two basic principles to themselves in their responsible decision-making position. The foregoing describes why We, The People, can recognize the imposters, compromisers, collectivists, and actors in our midst. <o:p></o:p>
Question: Will they learn? Answer: Pray<o:p></o:p>
semper fidelis
jim baxter
santa maria, ca
vincit veritas

+ + +

Choicemaker
04-21-07, 09:36 AM
Carl V. "Sam" Lamb and I served side-by-side as rifle-squad
leaders; Fox Company, 'Chesty' Puller's 1st Marines, 1st Marine
Division. He wrote a book about our experiences in the Korean
conflict, 1950-1951. He included my remarks about an incident in
which one of our people threatened to punch-out a fellow squad-
leader-guideon who had black skin. The page follows:

+ + +

THE LAST PARADE
by Carl V. "Sam" Lamb Page 296 (ref 1951)

James Fletcher Baxter

"Sam" and I had a lot in common. We both resisted evil. After I
got out of the hospital, Big Jim Causey told of driving along
in his police cruiser and hitting a black man in his head
with his pistol. He thought it was funny how the guy sprawled
into the street. When he made this comment we were in a card
game. I didn't say anything, but then he said he was going to
kick the ____ out of Joe Goggins and I had heard enough.

I said, "If you're going to try that, you'll have to go through
me to get to him. I'm willing to give my life for a country
that values each individual. If that isn't true, I don't want
to fight for that country - but, it is true, so I'm not going
to let you rob me of the very good reason I may lose my life
tomorrow or next week. If you attack him, you attack me. I
may lose, but I guarantee I will make it very expensive for
you to get to him. Let me know what you decide."

He got up from our card game and said, "I'll have to think
about it."

I said, "Let me know. I'll be here."

He came back a little later and said, "You're right. I was
wrong." I thanked him for his manliness.

Joe Goggins came to me later and thanked me. He had wet eyes.

End of page. + + +

( Added 4/14/07 To: anichols@NYDailyNews ("") w/Thanx: )

Shortly after the above event, Jim Causey was called home for family
member medical problems. On his way back to the States, he passed
through a Naval medical facility. While there, he ran into my brother,
Sgt. Howard "Barney" Baxter, 5th Marines, who had just been sent
stateside for his Chosen Reservoir frost-bitten feet.

Causey told my brother what had happened and said "how much it
had changed his life." He said Joe and I had forgiven him and he
would "never go back to the old collective point of view." He was
really joyful because he was honestly able to forgive himself! He
became a more manly man - a good Marine. - with Honor.

I'm pleased the Rutgers women accepted Imus' apology. They, and
Others, need to forgive. We all need to grow. Good examples are
always in short supply. God bless my Country and its Individuals.
vincit veritas

Jim Baxter
Sgt. USMC
WWII: OSS & 2nd MarDiv
Korean War: 1st MarDiv
semper fidelis

Santa Maria, CA