PDA

View Full Version : A warrior returns home from Iraq with hope

thedrifter
04-20-07, 04:29 PM
A warrior returns home from Iraq with hope
by Dale Logan
April 20, 2007

The time has finally come, I should be in greener pastures within the next week. Literally, I haven't seen anything green and growing since I've been here. I can't wait to be where things can actually grow. I have reached the end of my tour in Iraq.

I wanted to take this time and thank you all for your support and prayers. It has been a long six months and I have experiences and memories that I will never forget as long as I live. I have no regrets for being here. I have made new, life-long friends, shared and seen experiences that very few people will ever get to experience in their lifetime, and done something with my life that I can only do while I've got my youth and health. There has never been a more stressful situation that I've had to face in all my life and I could not have received better love and support than that of which I got from all of you. I would be a fool to think of being over here without the love and support of my wife. While I've been over here, she has been by herself raising two kids (and the dog), taking care of my personal affairs and giving me as much of her time as I require and I have never heard her complain. I also thank you all for staying in close contact with her and helping her through this difficult time. I can hardly wait to enjoy my family in its new growth for the first time for the rest of my life.

Even though coming home to my beautiful family will be the greatest triumph of this war, I can not help but think about the almost 4,000 others who will never get to experience such euphoria. We, as Americans, have a duty to never forget them. They gave the ultimate sacrifice to ensure we can share precious memories with friends and family, such as coming home. I have worked side by side in the harshest of combat situations with some of the finest sailors, Marines, soldiers and even a few airmen and they all deserve the same support that I received. I only hope that they could be as blessed as I with such caring friends and family. I realize that supporting someone in the war with letters, cards, gifts and care packages must take a good deal of time, money and patience. But, I can assure you that receiving news from home, a package of cookies or a kind word of support, even if from a stranger, has no greater impact on the morale of a lonely soldier.

I realize that what you mostly know about the war comes from the news or magazines which, for the most part, has a negative outlook. But I can assure you that we are making a difference. In the six months that I've been here, I've seen this town be literally impassable, to where a local man can now shop on the streets without fear. This is only one city in a large country, but progress has been made. You all have made a difficult job a little easier by reassuring us that there is someone behind us no matter what the price.

I am sorry this is getting a little lengthy, so I thank you all so very much for all that you have done for me. I look forward to seeing and talking with you all in the near future, whenever that shall be. I hope it is sooner than later. I thank you again and may God bless you all.

-- Dale Logan is a U.S. service member and returned to his home in Pearl Harbor on Easter Sunday. He is Gardnerville resident E-Ann Logan's grandson.

Ellie