PDA

View Full Version : Week-long course equips Young Marines with leadership skills

thedrifter
04-20-07, 07:41 AM
Week-long course equips Young Marines with leadership skills
Lance Cpl. Robert C. Frenke

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, OKINAWA, Japan(April 20, 2007) -- The Camp Foster Young Marines program held a week-long leadership training course April 9-14 at Marine Corps Air Station Futenma.

The course covered a wide range of areas including drill leadership, using a map and compass, physical fitness and the history of the Marine Corps and the Young Marines.

The classes were centered on the three basic missions of the Young Marines program, which are to promote self-discipline, team building and leadership, according to Okinawa’s Young Marines
Training Officers Manual.

With the help of the leadership program, the children will be better prepared for the challenges the training officer of the Young Marines.

Siddons is one of many volunteers who make up the vast majority of the Young Marines program
work force. Many of the volunteers are active duty, reservist, and former or retired Marines who dedicate themselves to teaching the children the values they learned as Marines, according to the organization’s Web site.

Siddons agreed his experience as a Marine is crucial to his success as a Young Marines volunteer. He also feels the program is beneficial to the youngsters.

“I think it helps to strengthen their morale,” said Siddons. “It makes them more decisive. It
helps them become strong teenagers and even stronger adults.”

“It’s a great experience,” said 12-year-old Young Marine Pvt. Derek J. Flagg, during the course. “We learn how to drill, and (the volunteers) teach you how to do it perfect!”

The Young Marines are not totally reliant on the volunteers, however. Just as in the Marine Corps, leadership also comes from within the ranks.

“I’m in a leadership position now,” said Young Marine Sgt. Calem D. Wood, 12, the company gunnery sergeant of the Camp Foster Young Marines. “Now I get to see kids come in, and I get to help them.”

Young Marines, an official program of the Marine Corps League, is a youth education and servicebased program for children ages 8 through 17.

For more information about the Okinawa Young Marines, contact Sgt. Dexter White at 645-3397.

Ellie

DevilDogHEMech
04-20-07, 08:24 AM
I've heard a lot and seen some of this Young Marine program here in Okinawa, seems like it is freakin' outstanding. Went on a few deployments and never got involved with it during my two years here, but I hope to put in some hours helping them out when I get to Pendleton a few weeks from now after my well-earned leave time. Any Marines here who were involved with that program either as a kid or as a Marine volunteer?

:thumbup: