PDA

View Full Version : Estrada offers thanks to community

thedrifter
04-20-07, 06:09 AM
April 20, 2007 - 12:00AM
Estrada offers thanks to community

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
It was almost 34 years ago that Sgt. Maj. John Estrada enlisted in the Marine Corps.

As a young immigrant from Trinidad, Estrada never realized just where that journey would take him.

"I came to this country as a 14-year-old immigrant from what is considered a Third World Country where we had no running water," Estrada said in a interview with The Daily News. "It just shows how great this country is and how great this Marine Corps is."

For the past four years, Estrada has served as the sergeant major of the Marine Corps during a time of war. He has traveled all over the world encouraging Marines and sailors and listening to their top issues.

The most recent trip brought him to Camp Lejeune to address the staff noncommissioned officers one last time. He departed this week after addressing various topics including deployments, recruitment, conduct, single Marines and even tattoos.

On Wednesday, Estrada will pass the sword to Sgt. Maj. Carlton Kent of I Marine Expeditionary Force in California and retire.

"It was extremely important that I come here (to Camp Lejeune)," Estrada said. "I could not have done what I've accomplished without the support of the staff NCOs. The Carolina (Marine Air Ground Task Force) has played a huge role. It's my way of showing them how much I appreciate all they have done - their leadership and support during a tough time in history."

Before the Camp Lejeune visit, Estrada spent time in Iraq and with the currently deployed 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

"It was a little emotional seeing the outpouring of support and send-off I was getting there," he said. "I would like the public to know we have made tons of progress (in Iraq) that is not reported in the news media."

While troops do not have control of Baghdad right now, the Al Anbar Province has seen a tremendous difference, he said.

"People are out shopping; tribes are working with us now," Estrada said. "They are tired of those folks killing innocent Iraqis. ... We're on the verge of success."

It's one he feels that can't be won militarily, though.

"The Iraqi people need to stand up and they are standing up," Estrada said. "We have to support the economy and judicial system to get there."

And amid a difficult job, troops rely on support from the home front.

"The public support is the number one thing the men and women over there value," Estrada said. "I would ask the public to continue separating policy from supporting the troops."

It's the policy that concerns Estrada, who is worried troops won't be given the time they need to "finish the mission." That comes in the face of legislators asking for troops to be out of Iraq by next year.

But that has been only one change of many Estrada has dealt with in four years as the sergeant major of the Marine Corps.

"I don't think we've seen this kind of change in history before, and so quickly," he said. "The biggest change for us has been training. It helps better prepare the Marines for what they're facing in Iraq. The equipment has also improved."

Yet with such a long conflict, the Iraq war has presented challenges for the Corps, he said. That includes being ready for other conflicts that could arise.

"The Marine Corps is supposed to respond to any contingency anywhere at any time," Estrada said. "We lack some of those capabilities right now."

The Corps' current plan to grow its numbers should allow the Marine Corps to cover those bases again, he said. But flexibility has always been a strength of the Corps.

"I have been impressed with the flexibility and adaptability of the Marine Corps in the fight," Estrada said. "And I'm impressed with the commitment of the Marines and their families in spite of some horrific injuries."

The war wounded have weighed heavy on Estrada, he said, adding that "nobody likes war." He has traveled around the country and Iraq visiting many who were injured in combat. And he was always treated with respect.

"I could have seen these families getting angry with us given our position," Estrada said of his trips to visit the wounded alongside the commandant. "But I never encountered that."

Instead, it was always camaraderie - something Estrada says he'll miss the most.

"I'll also miss putting on the uniform every day," he said. "But I am looking forward to getting back to civilian life. I look at it as another chapter."

The transition has been one that Estrada calls "bittersweet."

"Everything I have done for the last few months I knew I was doing for the last time," he said. "I would like to share my sincere thanks to the people of Jacksonville for their support. They came together and continue to support the Marines and their families. It's been a very rewarding tour."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 239.

Ellie