PDA

View Full Version : Another ASVAB question.

FutureMarine916
04-20-07, 01:12 AM
i bet you guys are getting sick of all these ASVAB questions, but i need to understand something about it.
i am going to visit a recruiter next week and will have to take the ASVAB test sooner or later. i am very serious about making myself a Marine, and i am going to make a career out of it one way or another.( even if i dont get the MOS i want )
i keep reading stuff about how important the ASVAB test is, and i am afriad that if i dont get a GT score of 110 that my dream career will be out of the options i will have.

1. if i dont meet the ASVAB requirements for a MOS, even if it is a more advanced MOS that may take years to get, is it out of the question forever?

2. will i have more than one shot at this test, or the right to prove myself worthy for my dream MOS in the future, if i do poorly on the ASVAB?

or do i just need to study alot and make damn sure i get 110 on my GT...
i hope this test dose not tell me i cant, no matter what, get the MOS i want.

-keith
with a bad case of What Ifs.

skoozi
04-20-07, 03:18 AM
or do i just need to study alot and make damn sure i get 110 on my GT...

If you need that score to get the job you want, you should be studying and make absolutely sure you get it.

Kildars
04-20-07, 05:02 AM
The best person for answers would be a recruiter. Though, from my experiences I have not seen/heard about many waivers for GT scores to get a certain MOS. If you don't hit that score, you don't get the job. So if you need a 110, study hard.

rolive
04-20-07, 09:32 AM
Just study. Plain and simple, make sure you know your formulas for math and some basic mechanics/electronics. As long as you take your time and don't freak out it isnt that big a deal.

Motorola07
04-20-07, 10:27 AM
You can retake the test in a month i blieve. If you do not know math(basic alg 2 and some pre-cal), some mechanicle skills, reading, and dont know how to put two pieces together to make a block then ya you might have trouble...

If you are that worried about it.
Search on google for asvab practice test, and it will give you a few sites.
Take the pre test here. There is a shot and a long version.

killerinstinct
04-20-07, 10:50 AM
study some arithmatic reasoning and paragraph and words and stuff like that..

that is what the GT line score is mostly composed of

patlan1011
04-20-07, 03:44 PM
scroll down to where it says "Restesting"

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/asvababcs_4.htm

rolive
04-20-07, 03:47 PM
Here is a trick to help. When I took my test and got to the part where you reason what goes where, i just made basketball goals. Worked awesome. If it looks like a B-Ball goal...go for it.

FutureMarine916
04-20-07, 09:00 PM
OH YEAH!!! GREAT!!! :mad:

*recruiter hands me test*
"this test you take when you are 18 will determine you ENTIRE FUTURE!!! .......good luck"

thats just great...

FutureMarine916
04-21-07, 01:22 AM
do you get a piece of scrach paper to work out the math proplems during the real ASVAB test?

davblay
04-21-07, 01:25 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, GT stands for "General Technical"! That is the section where they try to measure your (gulp) COMMON SENSE! You don't study for that, you either have it or you don't! The other 10 scores are study worthy, but the GT is what it is!

davblay
04-21-07, 01:26 AM
do you get a piece of scrach paper to work out the math proplems during the real ASVAB test?
YEP!

davblay
04-21-07, 01:28 AM
The best person for answers would be a recruiter. Though, from my experiences I have not seen/heard about many waivers for GT scores to get a certain MOS. If you don't hit that score, you don't get the job. So if you need a 110, study hard.

:thumbup:

Marine84
04-21-07, 09:14 AM
David - they've probably changed the whole freakin test since me and you went in.

davblay
04-21-07, 11:10 AM
Yeah, KIM, they probably let you use calculators now--------?????? That's a scary thought, isn't it?

Motorola07
04-21-07, 02:10 PM
No calculators. Just Ink and paper.