PDA

View Full Version : VFW members funeral.

cball
04-19-07, 08:19 PM
Saturday we had an old Marine buddies funeral , he belonged to the VFW and they did the military rites.One soldier standing at the head of the casket ,one sailor at the foot.One at a time 8 more marched in and saluted the casket.Not one Marine in the bunch.I hate to talk about any orginazition but those were the sloppiest soldiers and sailors,I know there old members ,civilians that sit around and drink beer all day,but they should have looked sharper..

10thzodiac
04-19-07, 09:52 PM
Same with Hollywood, it all looks good on the silver screen until you get there, RIP...

bootlace15
04-20-07, 08:16 AM
I disagree with you on this one 10th. The Marine that died may have looked just as sloppy. As you stated 0ld age. How do you look at your age? If given the priviledge to serve as an honor guard for this brave Marine would you turn the family down because of your appearence?That would be cowardly,self centered,as well as lack of confidence in ones self.There are plenty of us old salts who would like to look good,but some of us also can't get the correct excersice due to injuries and just plain bad habits. Thats just the way it is.

Not as lean,but just as mean bootlace15 out

davblay
04-20-07, 08:30 AM
I agree with Bootlace 100%. We have, in my area, a Volunteer Honor Guard, through one of the Veterans organizations, for the deceased Veterans. They are multi service and so they do the best that they can with what they have! My brother, also a Marine, passed away a few months ago and they did an outstanding job, Just so happened that, at least, one of them was a Marine! He presented the Folded Flag to my sister in law and at the end he proudly said "SEMPER FI" to her. She asked me what that meant after the services! I thought is was a good touch, as did several Marines present! Grant you these men were, like a lot of us, out of shape, and a little on the heavy side, but they were respectful and professional!

If any of you would like to Volunteer for that service, I am sure there might be an organization, close to you, that would appreciate your help. They have to supply everything (the Volunteers) except the rifles and ammo for the 21 Gun Salute.

drumcorpssnare
04-20-07, 08:32 AM
bootlace- I agree buddy. A "sloppy" honor guard is much better than "no" honor guard. Not to mention, those old guys really want to be there for the sake of the departed veteran. I've heard "Younger" honor guard members whine about, "Oh, here we go again. Another damn burial detail!"
In my mind, an honor guard at a burial detail is a sacred ritual. The care and respect are so much more important than posture or shined brass.
Jeez, cut these old guys some slack.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

OLE SARG
04-20-07, 08:45 AM
AGAIN, well said drumcorpssnare. I've been in some of these honor guards and although you try to look your best, age has a way of taking that "sharpness" away. THE CARE AND RESPECT ARE WHAT MATTERS!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

10thzodiac
04-20-07, 08:51 AM
I disagree with you on this one 10th. The Marine that died may have looked just as sloppy. As you stated 0ld age. How do you look at your age? If given the priviledge to serve as an honor guard for this brave Marine would you turn the family down because of your appearence?That would be cowardly,self centered,as well as lack of confidence in ones self.There are plenty of us old salts who would like to look good,but some of us also can't get the correct excersice due to injuries and just plain bad habits. Thats just the way it is.

Not as lean,but just as mean bootlace15 out

I don't see any disagreement with your point of view ? I merely was comparing how we visualize or how we'd like it to be. The reality not mirroring what we would want. No disagreement http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Actually, I agree with the bible when comes to death: "Lord, let me first go and bury my father." But he [Jesus] said, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead".

Funeral pomp is more for the vanity of the living than for the honor of the dead. <CITE class=author>-Attribution: François, Duc De La Rochefoucauld (1613–1680), French writer, moralist</CITE>

Bootlace, I personally have in my "Revocable Living Trust", ordered that I be cremated and no ceremony. The money will be better spent on the living.

I even told the wife, she can flush me down the toilet, what's the fcuking difference anyways, I'm dead
<CENTER>http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-045.gif</CENTER>

bigdog43701
04-20-07, 08:59 AM
i agree we are paying "final" respect for a fallen brother.

in 2005 a Marine Sergeant from my area (Sgt. Brad HARPER) was killed in Iraq. he received a full military funeral. i am a deputy sheriff in the county and was asked by the Sheriff to put together an "Honor Guard Detail" from the sheriff's office for the funeral. three other Marines were chosen to take part. just prior to the services we marched in, did Marine Corps facing movements and gave a hand salute. i gave the command "ready two" and we slowley returned to attention. at this point we all "as one" bowed our heads and i again gave the command ready two. as we came back up to attention we all said (so we could be heard) SEMPER FI. i looked at the Marine standing at the foot of Brad's casket and observed he had a tear running down his face. after the ceremony a Marine Corps Major came up to us and stated how "impressed" he was of what and how we did it. my comment to the Major---SEMPER FI SIR.

Old Marine
04-20-07, 09:25 AM
No one can tell me that there are not any sloppy looking active duty service personnel in all branches of the service including the USMC.(at the present time)

If you think you will look like the picture on a recruitment poster when you get old, you my friend are living in a fantasy world.

OLE SARG
04-20-07, 11:10 AM
Tell 'em Old Marine, I got your back!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

drumcorpssnare
04-20-07, 11:20 AM
Just something I'd like to share...

I have asked my wife, that upon my demise, she have me cremated. She is to scatter my ashes on the glacis and ramparts, and post cemetary at the historic Fort Ontario, in my hometown of Oswego, NY.
Two very significant things happened to me at that location.
First, the fort's curator sparked my interest in American military history. He spent many, many hours patiently talking with me about the history of the fort, and it's significance on American history from the French & Indian War, the Revolution, Civil War, and both World Wars. I have been an avid ameteur historian, ever since. (Thanks Wally.)
Second, it was there, 40 years ago that I saw my first civilian Drum & Bugle Corps competition. That activity has been the focus of my life, in one way or another, ever since.
I can't think of a better place for my remains to rest, than that place where thousands of Americans served their country, fought, bled and died for our freedoms. And to rest where great drum corps people marched...that's just the icing on the cake.
Any of you ever make it to Oswego in years to come....take a stroll around the grounds. It's a beautiful site overlooking Lake Ontario. Say, "Hi."
I'll be there...
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

cball
04-20-07, 11:41 AM
Yes they were his old buddies and they probably were proud to honor him.Old Dave was a sea going Marine and at 65 he still stood straight and looked more like 50..