PDA

View Full Version : Question?

outlaw3179
04-19-07, 04:40 PM
Whats a swagger stick? Ive heard about it and Ive seen them advertised on some different sites but I have no idea what they are. Now I know i could go and google but I dont want to . I want to hear from a Marine what it is and how they have used it. Thanks .

Mytcbra96
04-19-07, 05:04 PM
Originally, it was a functional implement used to direct military drill and maneuvers, or to administer physical punishment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_punishment).

When I was in though they were called "Short timers sticks"

Zulu 36
04-19-07, 05:07 PM
It depends on the branch and nation of service. It has been called a leading cane, swagger stick, and other terms. It was usually carried by leaders, NCOs and officers as a symbol of authority. It derived from a riding crop carried by mounted officers, particularly infantry officers. The Roman Army centurians also carried a version, partly as a badge of rank and partly as a disciplinary device.

At one time it was used for on-the-spot discipline. A nice quick shot across a handy spot. My father said during WWII drill instructors carried swagger sticks with .50 cal shells on either end filled with sand. Recruits wore pith helmets and errors caused swagger stick to meet with pith helmet. Recruit saw stars.

Swagger sticks are rarely, if ever, seen in the US military any longer. I carried one for a short time (several months) as a sergeant when in regular uniforms (not utes). It was cherry wood with a brass tip on one end and a larger brass tip with an EGA on the other end. I stopped carrying it when my new 1stSgt hinted he didn't like it.

In the British military, officers still regularly carry a swagger stick. In some regiments it is a required part of certain uniforms (usually walking-out uniforms). Senior NCOs (drill instructors, Company and Regimental Sgt Majors) normally carry a pace stick, which is a specially constructed hinged two-piece stick that opens to measure the different pace lengths in drill (slow, quick, double-quick, etc). For more on the British style swagger and pace sticks see:

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-equip/pace-stick.htm

Ed Palmer
04-19-07, 05:11 PM
It is a tool that the Drill Instructors used to gain and hold your attention
It was usual;y constructed with a 50 cal, spent round mounted on a oak stick about 18 inches long.
and was a very effective tool

it was also used to put those hurt bumps up side of your head

outlaw3179
04-19-07, 06:02 PM
lol..great. Thanks Marines.