PDA

View Full Version : Operation Caring Bridge Military Children with Cancer

gunnydi
02-28-03, 01:37 PM
[COLOR=blue]:marine: [FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3][GLOW=blue]
##
Press Release

Date 3/1/2003 Military Children Suffering fromCancer
We all know that Cancer is a Horrendous Disease that strikes thousands of people each and every year. One thing we tend to NOT think about, mainly because it’s an ugly thought and we prefer NOT to think ugly thoughts, is the number of children stricken with Cancer. As the World and This Great Nation prepare for war, we, Military Families of America, are all thinking about our children, going off to war and the hazards, trials, and dangers they are about to come face to face with. In the meantime, there are MILITARY CHILDREN here on the home front who’s parent, mother or father, is over there, ready to fight for this Country, for me and for you, and for their family left behind at home, who has a child stricken and very ill with Cancer. Yet they still deployed, why? Because they had to. To fight onward and upward is the battle. Whether it’s war of armament or war with disease.

What can You Do?
There is a Hospital for Military Children who are suffering from Cancer. It’s the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth (NMCP) it has a Pediatric Oncology Clinic. Right now, over 100 military children from ALL BRANCHES OF THE SERVICE are treated at this clinic for various types of cancer and life threatening blood related diseases. BUT, they need OUR HELP! Now and desperately! Below you will find ways that anyone and everyone can help! It doesn’t take much, just one donation will go a very long way! WE CAN DO THIS. IT’S FOR OUR MILITARY CHILDREN! And believe me, these children suffer enough with the absence and worry of a deployed parent, let alone the pain and anguish of having a life threatening disease like CANCER!

Movie Donations
Do you have some children’s movies laying around the house? As we are nearing the yard sale season, I know that I see children’s movies at a lot of them. CHEAP TOO! Or at the local Dollar stores, sales and clearances, some video stores sell the movies cheap after a while. Can’t you afford to purchase one or more videos and send down to this Hospital for the children to sit and enjoy and to help them forget about their pain and treatment, their illness and their possible fate for just a few hours?

TVs and VCRs
TVs and VCRs are also needed for the rooms. If you find an old TV or VCR in working order, or have one sitting around, please, send it. Donate it to a very worthy cause, CHILDREN. Also, I’ve priced small TVs at Walmart, Kmart, etc. and small TVs are no longer the ‘high priced’ commodity they used to be. Contact a TV/VCR repairman in your area and ask him/her to donate any that he/she would feel comfortable with donating.

Video Games
Video games and game stations are also needed. These can give children hours and hours of fun and enjoyment. I suggest we all watch the type and nature of the games that we send though. There are a lot of older game stations for sale in the newspapers, at yard sales, along with games, and often on clearance at various stores and video stores. You will never know what a distributor or neighbor is willing to DONATE unless you ask! Or what for minor price they might be willing to lower to when you explain the need and cause behind the question!

CHEAPER TICKET ITEMS:

Now for what we can do en mass! Crayons, coloring books, drawing pads of paper, paints, old shirts or smocks for paint shirts, washable markers, books to read, toys, puzzles, stickers, sports cards, playing cards, games.....and isn’t it totally amazing that these are very INEXPENSIVE ITEMS and really cheap if you check out your local goodwill stores and dollar stores? Holiday decorations for parties, party favors, balloons, etc. etc. Let’s everyone USE YOUR IMAGINATION!! If there is ONE THING I’ve learned by having my granddaughter around is this, the most inane objects can give her the Greatest Joy! Empty boxes, pots and pans and a spoon.
One last thing, we need to remember that these Military Children range in age from 6 months to 18 yrs. of age. So let’s see if we can find ways to help ONE AND ALL OF THEM!! Let’s ease SOME of their pain, some of their worry, and show them, and their families WE DO CARE ABOUT EVERYONE!! You’ve all done such a fantastic job of supporting and CONTINUING the support of our Military Deployed. Now I’m asking one and all to help the homeland Military who are fighting their own battles here against disease.

For further information on this project and endeavor, see the sites and information below. God Bless you and Thank you one and all! Let’s post to our local newspapers and pass out information to our local stores. From past experience we KNOW that the major companies are NOT going to donate so let’s hit the little ones, maybe they have the biggest hearts?

Please feel free to contact me:
Diane M. Weller dweller@neo.rr.com
Military Moms Online~American Angel 1957
13360 N. Elyria Rd., Lot 625
P. O. Box 613
West Salem, OH USA 44287-0613

(419) 853 - 1372

Amy Cleghon Navy Wife Stationed at SIMA Norfolk cleghona@jwfc.jfcom.mil Mother of 4 yr. old Hunter suffering from Cancer currently in remission!
Home: 757-657-9117
Cell: 757-679-9701

http://www.caringbridge.org/va/hunter
http://militaryops.tripod.com/firststep/