PDA

View Full Version : Everybody gets a cut in 'Biloxi Blues'

thedrifter
04-19-07, 06:32 AM
Published in the Wyoming Tribune-Eagle on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:00 PM MDT

Everybody gets a cut in 'Biloxi Blues'
A World War II comedic play provides a place for young men to analyze their character, their prejudices and their own humanity

By Karen Cotton
feat2@wyomingnews.com

Even though he's joining the U.S. Marines in the coming months, Paul Hooker's new buzz haircut came about from an entirely different reason.

Hooker entered into a deal with Laramie County Community College theater instructor Jason Pasqua to buzz his hair for the role of Sgt. Merwin J. Toomey in Neil Simon's "Biloxi Blues."

Hooker had taken a public speaking class with Pasqua and became exposed to LCCC's theater movement.

"I was talking about helping with the sets and Jason gave me the script for the show," said Hooker, who had been involved in theater at his high school. "I auditioned after I saw it."

Pasqua made the same buzz cut deal with each of the male actors for the upcoming play. In turn, Pasqua got a high 'n' tight cut, himself.

"Now we're all bald," Pasqua said.

"Biloxi Blues" is set in 1943, during World War II, and is part of a trilogy of semi-autobiographical plays Simon wrote about his own youth through the character of Eugene Morris Jerome.

Hooker's own character, a hard-nosed sergeant, saw action in the North Africa Campaign.

"It was a hard time for anybody, but 73 percent of his comrades were killed," Paul said.

Hooker said as a result of Toomey's experiences, the character is intense and into discipline.

Most of the people in the platoon he leads come from Connecticut, New Jersey and New York. That creates a problem as Toomey's origins are in the south.

"Southerners drawl their words, and they think I'm a country bumpkin," he said.

His character is a lot smarter than the young men he's leading give him credit for.

"That all plays out," Hooker said.

Set in a time of war and great uncertainty, the play focuses on the social intolerance of the time.

Judaism is the main issue in the play. There is also reference to homosexuality.

"Both Eugene and Arnold (another character in the play) happen to be Jewish," Pasqua said. "This is the first time Eugene comes face to face with anti-Semitism. This is a coming of age story and it follows Eugene."

Hooker brings some perspective to the role of Toomey.

Hooker is joining the U.S. Marine Corps to help pay for higher education.

"Much to my father's chagrin," he adds.

His own father, however, is no stranger to military service. Bill Hooker served much of his life in the U.S. Air Force.

Paul's sister is married to a service member in the U.S. Air Force in Cheyenne. Paul traveled from his home in Florida to visit her and decided to move here. His parents soon followed.

"I liked the change of pace here," he said.

'Biloxi Blues'

When: April 12-14, April 19-21,

7:30 p.m. April 22, 2 p.m.

Where: Laramie County Community

College Playhouse, 1400 College Drive.

More info: For audiences ages 17 and older. $8 general admission; $3 for seniors and students. Free to military with a military ID card. Call 432-1626 or 778-1158.

Ellie