PDA

View Full Version : 9th Marine Unit Activated

Phantom Blooper
04-19-07, 05:24 AM
April 19, 2007 - 12:00AM
http://www.jdnews.com/pictures/1176959058-0419a19thmarcolors.jpg THE DAILY NEWS / JOHN ALTHOUSE
Sgt. Maj. McEzelvias Corbin reaches to uncase the 1st Battalion, 9th Marines colors during a ceremony at Camp Lejeune on Wednesday. Partially obscured in the photo is commanding officer Lt. Col. Bradl

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
Rodger Jacobs last saw Bob Syler 41 years ago when he threw Syler onto a helicopter to be medically evacuated from the Vietnam War.

They met again Wednesday morning.

The emotional reunion came after the reactivation ceremony for 1st Battalion, 9th Marines at Camp Lejeune. A traditional ceremony was held on the bank of the New River for the "Walking Dead" - a highly decorated unit deactivated in September 1994.

The reactivation stems from a Corpswide effort to bulk up and ease the strain of long, frequent deployments for Marines involved in the Iraq war.

"Anyone that watches the news understands the pressures on the units," said commanding officer Lt. Col. Bradley C. Vickers. "... It's going to give the Marine Corps more capability."

The unit, which falls under 8th Marine Regiment, has worked since 2005 to reach full operational strength, he said. More than 130 Marines and sailors have already deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan and the Horn of Africa in that time.

Vickers said 1/9 faces a deployment, possibly next year. The battalion is 935 Marines strong and made up of Headquarters, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Weapons companies.

"They're ready to get moving," Vickers said during the ceremony. "It's time to officially allow the Walking Dead to walk again."

In doing so, the battalion has quite a legacy to live up to - a well-known history of fierce battle in the Vietnam War.

"In one four-day battle, only two guys in our platoon came out unwounded," Jacobs said. "There were 637 men killed in action - 45 Navy corpsmen."

Jacobs and Syler were among a slew of Vietnam veterans and former members of 1/9 that attended Wednesday's ceremony. Syler served as a Navy corpsman for Alpha Company, while Jacobs was a Marine.

Jacobs was wounded twice, Syler once.

"I get really emotional about it," Syler said of 1/9. "I can't really describe what it's like to be here today. It's just awe-inspiring."

Jacobs called it an honor.

"In a personal aspect it's providing introspection," he said. "I'm able to look at a part of myself - the warrior part - and see it in these young Marines. Hardly anybody gets a chance to be a warrior. But these guys are warriors."

Vickers said the battalion is ready to fulfill that role and uphold a history paved by Marines and corpsmen like Jacobs and Syler.

"We are so well aware of the legacy you provided us," Vickers said. "And there's not a Marine or corpsman out here that isn't dedicated to living up to that legacy."

Some have already begun.

Cpl. Joshua Bierbaum of 1/9 was wounded by an improvised explosive device on Jan. 31 in Iraq and now lives in the Wounded Warrior Barracks aboard Camp Lejeune. He attended Wednesday's ceremony, saying he was thankful to be a part of the two-year process of rebuilding 1/9 "from the inside out."

Bierbaum's scars from the shrapnel that pierced his neck and body earlier this year are still visible. But the Marine is trying to get back into the fight.

"I want to go back to Iraq," Bierbaum said. "If you're an American and in the service you should go where that service is needed."

Contact Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, Ext. 239.