PDA

View Full Version : I need some help...

Wolfman07
04-18-07, 07:46 PM
So I was talking to my recruiter this week and he told me that after I changed my contract from DC linquistics to UH 03xx last Nov they have been unable to find a qualified person for the job. He then told me that they were willing to give me a $3,000 to $4000 bonus or the Marine Corps college fund to switch back to DC. I told him I would think about it and have really been thinking about it. The thing is, I want to be Infantry and to be the tip of the spear. I also want the Marine Corps Infantry experience, from what I hear there is no other like it in the world. The main thing is that I want to fight for my country, defend freedom, and become a Marine. My recruiter told me that he thinks I would better serve the Marine Corps by doing linquistics because Im qualified. I am torn right now and could use some good old Marine Corps advice that comes with all those years of experience. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

BrentAndrew
04-18-07, 08:14 PM
Is it your job or your recruiters job?

Motorola07
04-18-07, 08:27 PM
Exactly what BrentAndrew said... Do what you want to do. Not what your recuiter wants. If you want that 2-3k bouns thats going to be taxed. Go for it. But I would rather do what I would want to do. Infantry.

Achped
04-18-07, 08:52 PM
What is DC linguistics? I think I may be switching from UH to that actually. I take the DLAB tomorrow.

Wolfman07
04-18-07, 09:00 PM
Not sure if thats the exact name, but its translator. Dude the DLAB is pretty cool, kinda tuff though. Just get ready, its gonna be... a new expierience. Just know your english rules and you should pass. I took it and got a 106 or a 109 not sure which, but I qualified. But yeah, I want to be infantry, but I also want to serve the Corps in the most productive way possible.

Reddog0270
04-19-07, 05:47 PM
Wolfman07,

I have taken 4 years of Spanish through high school, and I love it. I love learning new ways to communicate with other people. That sounds like a cool MOS if you're into that. Although I love learning and communicating in Spanish, that's not what I want to do in the Corps. I'm going to go infantry because it's what I've always wanted to do. I wouldn't do anything else in the Corps.

You need to do what is right for you. If you have a burning passion for languages, go for it dude. That's a great MOS. But if you're like me and feel the need to try to become a grunt, DO IT!

What it comes down to man, is what you know is right. Sit down and REALLY consider each MOS and the fact that you're going to be in it for at least 4 years.

I know you'll make the right choice,

Respectfully,

-Reddog0270

jetztodernie
04-19-07, 07:08 PM
He then told me that they were willing to give me a $3,000 to $4000 bonus
Sucks for you, I got 9k :beer: Just messing around :thumbup:

The DLAB is fun but a pain in the ass. Spanish in high school isnt giong to help you AT ALL. High school languages are a joke. I have taken 3 languages at the 400 level in college (ie, the highest level and essentially fluency) and I still barely passed the DLAB.

Best of luck.

1stRad2671
04-19-07, 08:47 PM
I'm a linguist, but I still found my way to G Co 2/8 doing grunt stuff. There's a lot more to being a linguist than you realize. We go where everyone else goes. Who else is going to diffuse a riot by talking to the village leaders? That was the first thing I did when I showed up at G Co. Hadn't even got my bags unpacked. Later I did patrols with reservists from 3/23, then civil affairs stuff, some CI action with a few human exploitation teams (HET), back to grunts with 2/5 and also the usual Radio Bn stuff. There's also the recon option. I did Airborne, SERE and HRST master in that time.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esvbadguy1/images/Fedayeencompound_AlKut2.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esvbadguy1/images/7ton_Dam.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esvbadguy1/images/1PltHome_AlKut.jpg

USMCJohnson
04-19-07, 10:30 PM
Good luck if you decide to go linguist I took the DLAB too as that was my first choice. I didn't pass it though :( Like Wolfman07 said it's something new. There's absolutly no way to study for that test. But most of the people who took it along with me passed it. There were only 2 of us who didn't pass and we weren't that far from qual. As far as I know the other guy got an exception to policy. I didn't so I chose a new MOS. Good luck though with your choice between linguist and 03.

jetztodernie
04-19-07, 10:43 PM
I'm a linguist, but I still found my way to G Co 2/8 doing grunt stuff. There's a lot more to being a linguist than you realize. We go where everyone else goes. Who else is going to diffuse a riot by talking to the village leaders? That was the first thing I did when I showed up at G Co. Hadn't even got my bags unpacked. Later I did patrols with reservists from 3/23, then civil affairs stuff, some CI action with a few human exploitation teams (HET), back to grunts with 2/5 and also the usual Radio Bn stuff. There's also the recon option. I did Airborne, SERE and HRST master in that time.
:banana: :yes: :no:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-20-07, 12:18 AM
I could give you a million reason to change back to linguistics- but I won't. If you want to be a grunt, be a grunt. I regret changing my MOS when the recruiter told me I could do something else that would help the Corps more and promised me a bonus. The money was spent quickly, but the fact I wasn't a grunt stayed with me.