PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corp Band

Sonic13
04-18-07, 06:11 PM
I heard the Marine Corp has a band. If so, do they include guitarist in this band? I am a dedicated guitarist and it would be great if i would some how be able to try out and become part of this after i become a Marine this summer. Im not quite sure how good you have to be, i have a video of me playing a little with a few friends http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuu593RqRjk so if anyone would tell me if i would be able to make it or if there is even a need for a guitarist in the Marine Corp band.

Marine84
04-18-07, 06:25 PM
be quite honest I've never seen one but...................

Sonic13
04-18-07, 06:27 PM
Ugh really? I swore i heard it from somewhere and i just didn't get around to asking my recruiter. Thanks alot anyway.

ZSKI
04-18-07, 06:50 PM
You better be incredible to join the President's Own but every base has a base band that you can join.

Sonic13
04-18-07, 07:44 PM
Oh really? Well thats very nice to hear thanks alot.

Marine84
04-18-07, 08:52 PM
Ugh really? I swore i heard it from somewhere

You should check out the Rumors thread.

killerinstinct
04-19-07, 08:18 AM
i do know they have flute players and they get promoted fast...

Marine84
04-19-07, 08:21 AM
i do know they have flute players and they get promoted fast...

Now YOU owe me a monitor! LOL!

killerinstinct
04-19-07, 10:34 AM

fuc@#& jarheads and their dirty minds..:nerd:

SkilletsUSMC
04-19-07, 11:51 AM

Hahahahaha!

+1 :thumbup:

drumcorpssnare
04-19-07, 01:20 PM
Sonic13- The Marine Corps is always interested in good, serious musicians.
Here's some info for you.
"The" U S Marine Band (The President's Own) is composed of professional musicians, who are NOT US Marines. They audition, and if they make the cut, they sign a contract. They are schooled in uniform care and wearing, Marine Corps history, and military protocol. And...they perform. These musicians are so proficient, they could "walk-on" to almost any symphony in America.
The US Marine "Field Bands" are located throughout the various duty stations in the Corps. The primary mission of these bands is to provide the music and pageantry to military functions such as morning and evening colors, change-of-commands, local area parades, and of course the Marine Corps Birthday Balls.
These musicians are also auditioned, and must make the cut. Most have studied music for years, are familiar with theory, arranging, have a "major" instrument, i.e. brass or woodwind...and a "minor" instrument i.e. keyboards or guitar.
These Marine Field Bands make many public performances, and therefore are "showpieces" for the Corps. You must be impeccable in your demeanor and in how you wear your uniform. Spotless means SPOTLESS!
Next, there is the US Marine Drum & Bugle Corps..."The Commandant's Own."
Their primary mission is also providing military music for military functions. In addition to the "Sunset Parades" at the Marine Corps Memorial, the Drum & Bugle Corps has a gruelling public appearance schedule across the entire country, with occaisional tours to Europe or Asia. Again, because you are so often in the public's eye, your behavior is always under the microscope.

Suffice it to say, this is NOT duty for a lightweight.

Now, to address your question regarding a guitar player...there are "Swing Bands" "Jazz Bands" "Rock Bands" "Dance Bands" whatever you may call them, drawn from the ranks of the various Field Bands. The Band Officer or NCOIC makes the determination as to what "type" of popular music is performed. So, yes, there is a place for a serious guitarist in the Marine Corps.
But...
Until they start carrying guitars in a marching military formation, you'd better bone-up on a brass, woodwind, or percussion instrument.:D

Happy to share this info for all interested musicians.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

rvillac2
04-20-07, 01:59 AM
I could have sworn that I heard Marine84 is a flute player.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-20-07, 02:23 PM
I could have sworn that I heard Marine84 is a flute player.

I started to say something- then had to hit backspace. There is no way to respond without getting yelled at.

SkilletsUSMC
04-20-07, 02:37 PM
http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/imgs/sub/bios/MCCAFFERTYE.JPG

killerinstinct
04-20-07, 02:47 PM
http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/imgs/sub/bios/MCCAFFERTYE.JPG

HAHAHA im sure 84 knows that showing teeth while playing the flute is a BAD thing

SkilletsUSMC
04-20-07, 02:54 PM
HAHAHA im sure 84 knows that showing teeth while playing the flute is a BAD thing

We better watch out... She gonna get ****ed and get us all!

http://www.claudiajurt.com/photos/PKCROUCHING.jpeg

Marine84
04-20-07, 03:11 PM
I know how ya'll are and I ain't worried about it. My skin is pretty thick (as MOST of you know by now) - ya'll will be the first ones to give me $h!t but you'll be the first ones to guard my 6 (and I have a pretty one) if push came to shove.

And, yes I DO know about playing flute and showing teeth....................................that's why I take them out now!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!

killerinstinct
04-20-07, 03:14 PM
We better watch out... She gonna get ****ed and get us all!

http://www.claudiajurt.com/photos/PKCROUCHING.jpeg

LOL i picture 84 like this BEFORE THE CORPS!!!! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1753874339122286650&q=ketchup+effect&hl=en

Marine84
04-20-07, 04:10 PM
THAT was some funny $h!T killer................I LOVE IT!!!!!

drumcorpssnare
04-20-07, 04:15 PM
Hey, in the Navy Band...they play "The Slobber Blues" on the Meat Horn!:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

devilpup82
06-10-07, 06:43 AM
Yes there is a band, and yes they do take guitar players. I believe that you also need to be able to play keyboard (not sure) In order to get into the band, you need to pass an audition. Play scales, and site read. I was a 5574 (mellophone bugler) The school of music is about 6 months longs, and not only do you need to master the instrument (2 auditions during training) but also learn music theory and ear training. A lot of people rock out (meaning do not pass the course) It is a great field if you like to travel. Your leave is a little more restricted. We had a chance to take leave 2x a year because of our performance schedule. Talk to your recruiter.