PDA

View Full Version : Went down to see...

Reddog0270
04-18-07, 04:22 PM
...the recruiter the other day at school.

As I was sitting in my Algebra class, I heard the Marine recruiter would be in later that day, so I decided to take a walk to the office and chat with him for a little bit.

This was my first time ever talking to a recruiter in person. Sure, I've done some of the Army's internet chat sessions, but seeing that Staff Sergeant dressed up in dress blues was something else.

From the first moment I was in the room, SSgt. MacLeod treated me like a human being. I did not feel inferior, and his demeanor projected a feeling of "I'm here for you". I took my time to formulate all of the questions that I've ever wanted to ask a recruter, and asked them. The SSgt. presented his answers in an educated, informative way.

After we got through the basics of medical history, problems with the law (or lack thereof) and other assorted details, he straight out hit me with "Why is it that you want to join my Corps? I stared straight back at him and told him " I really could care less about the benefits, they're great, but I want to join the Corps to serve my country." He looked back and I could see that he was pleased.

After the meeting was over, he gave me his card and told me he'd call me in about a month, as I will be eligible to enlist then.

I thanked him, for his time and his service, and just about left. He stopped me, and said, "You are JUST what the Corps is looking for." That meant something to me as he told me earlier that he doesn't enlist just anybody. He looks for them to fit what he thinks would be best for the Corps.

I walked away feeling glad I decided to chat with him. I walked away with my feelings confirmed that I want to become a U.S. Marine.

-Reddog0270

Marine84
04-18-07, 06:12 PM
Another satisfied customer.

coplepk04
04-18-07, 06:16 PM
Moto as hell.

I look forward to serving with you if we both make it, Reddog.

yellowwing
04-18-07, 06:32 PM
That's great reddog, keep up with the poolee hall here!

ZSKI
04-18-07, 06:39 PM
I swear a marine recruiter could sell shoes to a legless man

Motorola07
04-18-07, 06:50 PM
I feel bad.. About a year ago, right before I was eligible to join.(talking about 3 months, till my jr. year was over.) I already considered joining the military, but the Army. My recruiter I have now, called me and talked to him for a while. Already told him I'm talking to a Army recruiter and was thinking about joining with them. He said don't worry about it, talk to me and we will see how you turn out. He went over with me about the asthma and Any broken bones, like he is suppose to. He said can you come by the office and we can sit down and talk person to person, I said sure why not. Gave me a date and time and I said ill see you there. Except, I never did show up. 2 months role pass, I'm working at Sizzler steak house with friend of mine. Found out he joined the Marines. That same recruiter came into Sizzler and talked to him for a while. I talked to that recruiter and said "man I believe I was talking to you over the phone and said I show up but never did and never called you back"
Long story short, I sat down with him (FINALY), told him I really wasn't into the money, Didn't really care about the benefits and all. Told him I heard (keyword heard) some rumors, and he straighted them out for me. Well 4 months later my b-day passed, and then 10 days pass after my b-day I sign the contract and now waiting for June 4th to roll pass.

He told me that he would of never asked me if I wanted to sit down with me again, he would of said no you are not put forth for the Marines. That I can stick it with the Army. But he said he believed that he made right decision on sitting down with me and talking again. And that he was sure I was not going to waste his time again.

But I felt so bad for not sitting down with him the first time, I tell him that at almost every pool function, he tells me don't worry about it, your ass belongs to the Corps pretty soon. LOL:thumbup:

PIMCRD
04-18-07, 07:33 PM
That is what Marines do. As a matter of a fact, we could probably tell you to go and abuse yourself and you would do it with a smile if a Recruiter said to. Not that we are into taking advantage of people, but like GMC, "We are Professional Grade." The Marine Corps is the best thing a person can do with their lives as far as I am concerned. You have done well, and I hope you and your peers do well and make it through boot camp.

Reddog0270
04-18-07, 08:55 PM
He definitely made me feel as though I were important to him, and not only another number. He goes, "I'm not going to promise you a whole boat-load of benefits that the other services might. All I'm going to do is say that you should consider the opportunity to become a U.S. Marine a benefit enough." I think that makes a lot of sense. I'm very anxious to hear back from him so we can talk more seriously about DEP and the enlistment process.

Thanks for all of the support so far.

- Reddog0270

poolee18
04-18-07, 09:19 PM
Thats wasnt like I told my recruiter I wanted to be a Marine.

Soon2BeVIP
04-18-07, 11:20 PM
He definitely made me feel as though I were important to him, and not only another number. He goes, "I'm not going to promise you a whole boat-load of benefits that the other services might. All I'm going to do is say that you should consider the opportunity to become a U.S. Marine a benefit enough." I think that makes a lot of sense. I'm very anxious to hear back from him so we can talk more seriously about DEP and the enlistment process.

Thanks for all of the support so far.

- Reddog0270
Southern NH represent lol. I go to school in Derry (Calvary), but live in Londonderry. Ya He is actually new, I think this is his 2nd week or something. But both recruiters from there are leaving soon so the new recruiters are coming in McCloud (sp?) is going to be my recruiter from about June to July before I leave for boot, but I'm still gonna drive up to Concord to see my recruiter right now though. But seriously, they are awesome recruiters. Manchester RSS > all others

Dan629
04-19-07, 01:03 AM
I guess it was pretty easy for my recruiter... I walked through the door about three weeks ago (when I started seeing my life going nowhere) and said "How can I become a Marine?". He smiled and replied, "Sit down in this chair and I'll take care of ya."

poolee18
04-19-07, 09:49 AM
I figured my life was going nowhere this time last year and the only thing that could help me was the Marine Corps and it has so far.

Integrity57
04-19-07, 11:48 AM
The recruiter I talked to didn't really try to make me feel like he gave a **** about me, and I'm pretty sure he didn't, but that aint his job and I don't care. His job is to represent the Marine Corps in the best possible light and figure out how you might be able to help the Corps and how the Corps might be able to help you if you Earn the Title. I think I've talked to him maybe 2 times since the first time I met with him and it's been at least a month since that last phone conversation.

Reddog0270
04-19-07, 06:23 PM
Bump?