PDA

View Full Version : Marine Pilot

HansCH-53
04-18-07, 03:38 PM
I want to be a pilot in the USMC more than anything and I really want to fly the CH-53, not some army Hilo, so I was wondering what I should do, as a sophomore in high school to prepare for becoming a pilot. Also when I join the corps and say I want to be a rotor aircraft pilot how can I most likely be selected to for a CH-53, Thanks for your time.
:usmc:

Motorola07
04-18-07, 03:44 PM
To become a pilot you have to be an officer... So study hard, go to college get your degree.

coplepk04
04-18-07, 03:56 PM
After you get to a college go to your nearest OSO (Officer Selection Office) and they'll set you up with what you need. Long story short you need to:

1 Finish High School and get into a good, academically rigorous college (If you can major in physics or something like that, even better)

2 Do well in college, I know people who applied to the PLC (OCS for those still in college) and got rejected due to low GPAs. You need at least a 2.0 or 2.2 to be accepted. To be a pilot you should have at least a 3.2 or 3.4 without even trying that hard to be truly competitive.

3 Get accepted to the PLC on an Air contract, either two 6-week sessions or one 10-week session

4 Finish well enough in flight school to be able to fly the CH-53. From what I know, they rank the Marines at Pensacola from #1 in the class to the bottom, and they just go down the list and you pick your craft and either Pilot or NFO. My buddy is trying to be a Cobra pilot so he's spent a good deal of time reading this and talking to our OSO.

I'm just sticking to ground.

If you're smart and physically fit, you have a good chance of getting the '53. Most people go for fixed-wing aircraft.

92-Day Reservist, Future Officer Candidate