PDA

View Full Version : Eye Sight/Birth Control Glasses at Boot

mcgannph
04-18-07, 01:04 PM
Anyone who has already graduated and worn glasses while at boot--

Do the glasses interfere/hinder you that much?

Also, did it effect your qualifying scores on the range at all in your opinion because of having to wear bulky glasses?

Because, my eye sight is not terrible, (20/60, 20/70), but I know I will have to wear these glasses during boot. I was thinking of maybe smuggling in contacts for qualifying week because I want expert.

Thoughts?

Moderboater
04-18-07, 01:28 PM
I would HIGHLY NOT recommend taking that route.....

mcgannph
04-18-07, 01:38 PM
I misphrased that. What if I just wear contacts for the duration of boot without taking them out? They have those 30-day keep in and sleep in contacts that are available now.

Motorola07
04-18-07, 01:53 PM
You still don't want to do that. They are not going to stop to just let you put you contacts back in because they fell out. Don't do it.

Wolfman07
04-18-07, 03:09 PM
I would say dont do it, but if you want too... A friend that recently graduate boot said that a recruit kept his contacts in all the way up to the gas chamber and when they removed the masks his eyes got all red and were like exploding out of his head. Pretty sure he was not bsing me. Any way they give you rules for a reason, not just so they can be ignored because someone feels like they are a unique case.

TheBiggness
04-18-07, 03:28 PM
I misphrased that. What if I just wear contacts for the duration of boot without taking them out? They have those 30-day keep in and sleep in contacts that are available now.

The longer you keep contact lenses in the less oxygen your cornea gets. Which means you will have blood vessels groing over the front of your eyes. It will cause you to have infections and stuff like, and possible blindness.
Thats what my eye doctor told me. I had a habbit of keeping them in too long.

I'm going to have to wear the BCG's too, It's no big deal. They'll give us a dummy cord to keep em from falling off.

killerinstinct
04-18-07, 03:30 PM
you can keep your contacts in i have gone 4 months before changing mine but as wolf said even in the fleet you are supposed to take out contact lenses. cs gas isnt air its actually crystals and it will go directly to your contacts as in the gas chamber they have you open your eyes and also inhale....

It's okay the glasses are ugly yes but i dont think you will be trying to p ick up another recruit and you'll rarely see a female and if you do and get caught checking her out i have heard stories about DI's making an ass out of you for it. And for all you PI to be Marines my buddy said they made one recruit go ask the femal DI if he could join her platoon... it will lead to your humilitaion..

Marine84
04-18-07, 06:18 PM
Yeah the only thing they'll hinder is you getting a date and I REALLY don't think you'll be looking for one of those while you're there.

coplepk04
04-18-07, 06:25 PM
Wouldn't you have to lie about your eyesight to wear contacts the whole time, thereby going in under fraudulent enlistment?

Let me know if I'm wrong, but I know if you get that your RE code is 4 and you're ineligible to enlist in any service ever again.

EDIT--I haven't heard of anyone getting a lower score due to glasses, either. Then again, all three guys I know who went to MCRD did not have glasses, but I asked two of them and they said it would not affect my shooting at all.

mcgannph
04-18-07, 06:29 PM
Ive been to MEPS, didn't lie about my eye sight.

But, if you wear contacts, and glasses over those contacts, as long as they're the same prescription, you see the same.

That's what I was bringing up... if you could just discard your BCG's when you received them and stash them somewhere in case you actually needed them.

I've been wearing my current pair contacts day in and out for the past 6-7 weeks and I sleep in them and have had no issues. I've been doing this for about 5-6 years now I'd say.

I just recently got those new 30 day ones though that you are allowed to sleep in according to my optometrist.

I was just saying I would go to Boot and just never take out my contacts at all since they already have my eye sight exam from MEPS, they'll have my BCG's waiting for me I assume.

ZSKI
04-18-07, 06:42 PM
My DI didn't care if i wore mine, i just wore them when i was alone(So i could see brass coming) and on the range. But no they don't get in the way. And my DI's made people take them off for graduation and the blues picture.

TheBiggness
04-18-07, 08:15 PM
I would be on the safe side and not wear contacts to boot. You know how DI's are a hat brim from your face when you screw up. What if he notices you have contacts in. I bet alot of people have tried sneaking contacts in. And I bet the DI's can spot em in your eyes from 5 feet away. So don't screw yourself by trying.

1stRad2671
04-18-07, 09:04 PM
I have crappy far vision. The only time I wore my BCGs was at the range, wouldn't have been able to see what I was shooting without them. I don't think my DIs even knew I had them.

I knew a Marine who continued to wear his BCGs all the way through his enlistment, hell, he probably still wears them. He just could, didn't look weird on him. He had no problem gettting hot girls either.

SnowPaint078
04-18-07, 10:07 PM

I didnt read the rest of the replies yet but I suggest not doing that. I have the same issue as you, my eye site isn't great but I can get by with out glass's. It will probably affect my qualifying score though, but im not used to wearing glass's. Contacts though, if you get dust, dirt, Chlorine in your eye it could damage your vision & or just really bother you. I say just try to get used to glass's and im sure the ones at bootcamp are good/ sturdy/ what ever you look for in glass's, they may not be stylish but no one cares (or they just dont say anyhing till after when your not wearing them lol).

davblay
04-19-07, 12:14 AM
Wouldn't you have to lie about your eyesight to wear contacts the whole time, thereby going in under fraudulent enlistment?

Let me know if I'm wrong, but I know if you get that your RE code is 4 and you're ineligible to enlist in any service ever again.

EDIT--I haven't heard of anyone getting a lower score due to glasses, either. Then again, all three guys I know who went to MCRD did not have glasses, but I asked two of them and they said it would not affect my shooting at all.

Say WHAT????? :confused:

davblay
04-19-07, 12:18 AM
Ive been to MEPS, didn't lie about my eye sight.

But, if you wear contacts, and glasses over those contacts, as long as they're the same prescription, you see the same.

That's what I was bringing up... if you could just discard your BCG's when you received them and stash them somewhere in case you actually needed them.

I've been wearing my current pair contacts day in and out for the past 6-7 weeks and I sleep in them and have had no issues. I've been doing this for about 5-6 years now I'd say.

I just recently got those new 30 day ones though that you are allowed to sleep in according to my optometrist.

I was just saying I would go to Boot and just never take out my contacts at all since they already have my eye sight exam from MEPS, they'll have my BCG's waiting for me I assume.
To close this subject, DO AS YOU ARE TOLD, POOLEE! You will wear the glasses you are issued and like them! There is no debate! If the DI's catch you your azz will be grass and they will be the lawn mower! ;)

davblay
04-19-07, 12:23 AM
I didnt read the rest of the replies yet but I suggest not doing that. I have the same issue as you, my eye site isn't great but I can get by with out glass's. It will probably affect my qualifying score though, but im not used to wearing glass's. Contacts though, if you get dust, dirt, Chlorine in your eye it could damage your vision & or just really bother you. I say just try to get used to glass's and im sure the ones at bootcamp are good/ sturdy/ what ever you look for in glass's, they may not be stylish but no one cares (or they just dont say anyhing till after when your not wearing them lol).

I'll say one thing you are, if nothing else, persistant in your spelling! GLASSES!

YLDNDN6
04-19-07, 07:20 AM
Try to imagine having those contact lenses in for 13 weeks, in 100 degree heat, spending A LOT of your time rolling around in powdery sand, sweating profusely while performing very rigorous activities EVERY DAY, then not getting the amount of sleep you are accustomed to, and having to deal with eye boogers every morning because while you sleep your eyes tear up to clean out the grit and dust...leave the contacts at home...thousands of Marines have adapted to the military-issue glasses and have done extremely well with the weapons of war...you are not the first to have concerns, but you may well be the first to have your eyeballs ripped out by a Drill Instructor for being dishonest and trying to be an exception to our rules.

Marine84
04-19-07, 08:00 AM
Let doofus do his own thing.....................he wants to be an individual!

poolee18
04-19-07, 10:09 AM
Wear the glasses it would be easier on you than contacts.

momincmbtboots
04-19-07, 10:34 AM
This is funny....I wore BCG's while I was in boot camp. All I cared about was seeing who/what was coming. The only appearance issue I had was my uniform-and I never felt it was quite good enough. Regardless of what others have told you about "getting away with it", don't wear your contacts while you're there. Not only can it get you into trouble with your DI's (think "failure to follow orders") but it can cause all kinds of eye problems...now, do you really think you need either one?

killerinstinct
04-19-07, 10:38 AM
the only problem is they get scratched real easy.... Out of bootcamp my glasses were tore up. but it wont hender anything but the contacts arent a good idea at all...

SnowPaint078
04-19-07, 08:44 PM
I'll say one thing you are, if nothing else, persistant in your spelling! GLASSES!

Sorry Cpl, my spelling is deff. not the greatest as you can see. But at least my point was good :bunny:

davblay
04-19-07, 09:02 PM
Sorry Cpl, my spelling is deff. not the greatest as you can see. But at least my point was good :bunny:

Check the rules for this site, Poolee! :evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-20-07, 12:24 AM
Sneaking in contacts could only cause a world of problems for you. CS stuck in your eyes may be a fate worse than death. A DI finding out you intentionally broke the rules just because you didn't want to wear the glasses would be even worse than that.