PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: A Culture of Self-Defense

thedrifter
04-18-07, 07:25 AM
Wanted: A Culture of Self-Defense
by Michelle Malkin
Posted 04/18/2007 ET
Updated 04/18/2007 ET

There's no polite way or time to say it: American colleges and universities have become coddle industries. Big Nanny administrators oversee speech codes, segregated dorms, politically correct academic departments and designated "safe spaces" to protect students selectively from hurtful (conservative) opinions -- while allowing mob rule for approved leftist positions (textbook case: Columbia University's anti-Minuteman Project protesters).

Instead of teaching students to defend their beliefs, American educators shield them from vigorous intellectual debate. Instead of encouraging autonomy, our higher institutions of learning stoke passivity and conflict-avoidance.

And as the erosion of intellectual self-defense goes, so goes the erosion of physical self-defense.

Yesterday morning, as news was breaking about the carnage at Virginia Tech, a reader e-mailed me a news story from last January. State legislators in Virginia had attempted to pass a bill that would have eased handgun restrictions on college campuses. Opposed by outspoken, anti-gun activists and Virginia Tech administrators, that bill failed.

Is it too early to ask: "What if?" What if that bill had passed? What if just one student in one of those classrooms had been in lawful possession of a concealed weapon for the purpose of self-defense?

If it wasn't too early for Keystone Katie Couric to be jumping all over campus security yesterday for what they woulda/coulda/shoulda done in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, and if it isn't too early for The New York Times editorial board to be publishing its knee-jerk call for more gun control, it darned well isn't too early for me to raise questions about how the unrepentant anti-gun lobbying of college officials may have put students at risk.

The back story: Virginia Tech had punished a student for bringing a handgun to class last spring -- despite the fact that the student had a valid concealed handgun permit. The bill would have barred public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit . . . from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun." After the proposal died in subcommittee, the school's governing board reiterated its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus buildings.

Late last summer, a shooting near campus prompted students to clamor again for loosening campus rules against armed self-defense. Virginia Tech officials turned up their noses. In response to student Bradford Wiles's campus newspaper op-ed piece in support of concealed carry on campus, Virginia Tech Associate Vice President Larry Hincker scoffed:

"t is absolutely mind-boggling to see the opinions of Bradford Wiles. . . . The editors of this page must have printed this commentary if for no other reason than malicious compliance. Surely, they scratched their heads saying, 'I can't believe he really wants to say that.' Wiles tells us that he didn't feel safe with the hundreds of highly trained officers armed with high powered rifles encircling the building and protecting him. He even implies that he needed his sidearm to protect himself . . ."

The nerve!

Hincker continued: "The writer would have us believe that a university campus, with tens of thousands of young people, is safer with everyone packing heat. Imagine the continual fear of students in that scenario. We've seen that fear here, and we don't want to see it again. . . . Guns don't belong in classrooms. They never will. Virginia Tech has a very sound policy preventing same."

Who's scratching his head now, Mr. Hincker?

Some high-handed commentators insist it's premature or unseemly to examine the impact of school rules discouraging students from carrying arms on campus. Pundit Andrew Sullivan complained that it was "creepy" to highlight reader e-mails calling attention to Virginia Tech's restrictions on student self-defense -- even as the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence rushed to capitalize on the massacre to sign up new members and gather e-mail addresses for Million Mom March chapters. "We are outraged by the increase in gun violence in America, especially the recent shooting at Virginia Tech," reads the online petition. "Add your name to the growing list of people who are saying: 'Enough Is Enough!'"

Enough is enough, indeed. Enough of intellectual disarmament. Enough of physical disarmament. You want a safer campus? It begins with renewing a culture of self-defense -- mind, spirit and body. It begins with two words: Fight b

Ellie

10thzodiac
04-18-07, 08:51 AM
How comes then... they don't let military personnel have ammo, or when they do, only the amount they feel necessary e.g. guard duty five rounds, etc ? Private guns and ammo have to be kept under lock and key in the Armory. You can only load your weapon during supervised training and combat zones.

Don't they trust us from killing each other accidentally or on purpose ?

Of course college kids are smart, and wouldn't do what the military is afraid we'd do.

Maybe if self defense is your passion, you should stay in school (with loaded guns) ?

<CENTER>http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Battle/james-bond.gif</CENTER>

GunsUp
04-18-07, 11:18 AM
I watched a lot of the "news" programs regarding this tragedy and there is very few instances in which students or professors refused to be victims. I think a lot of younger Americans today are so used to "non-confrontation" that they act like sheep and just let things happen. Low profiling it so to speak and accept the fact that they are getting screwed over, robbed, or killed.

drumcorpssnare
04-18-07, 01:21 PM
On any level, defending liberty is not easy. Why? Because ultimately you may need to lay your life down, for yourself or for someone else. Never an "easy" thing to do.

What is easy to do...comparitively speaking...is to be a weak-kneed, limp-wristed, pasty-faced, politically correct, mamby-pamby sissy. Heck, that's a cakewalk compared to standing up for what's truly right!

Any sheep out there who want to argue...get in line. One behind the other...that's right.

BAAaaaa

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

003XXMarineDAD
04-18-07, 01:52 PM
It will come a time when they will have a case with a gun or lets just say a Marine in a glass case with instructions to break when in danger. You had better pray someone is still standing to break it.
If the progressive libs have their way it will come, the big problem is none of them are strong enough to break the glass, it might cause a enviromental disaster.
:D

jetdawgg
04-18-07, 01:54 PM
Instead of teaching students to defend their beliefs, American educators shield them from vigorous intellectual debate. Instead of encouraging autonomy, our higher institutions of learning stoke passivity and conflict-avoidance.

Michelle Malkin is an idiot. What do folks go to college for if not intellectual debate? The killer came from another country to do this damage. He had been here a long time.

His parents wanted better for him and his sister so by sending them to Princeton and Va Tech, I know that they sent them there for "intellectual debate"

Why do folks still listen to her?

I don't know about the passivity either. Whenever someone from the 'left' speaks out the heat in that comes from the 'right' (who appear to want all to speak with one voice) is loud. And often it comes in bad names like 'unpatriotic' and 'traitor'.

The blanket statements that Ms. Malkin makes are almost comical

Gary Hall
04-18-07, 02:06 PM
Marines, the title is not mine but I wish it was. But I do join in supporting the sentiment of the words. Drifter, I sure do appreciate your apt observation: "American Universities and Colleges have become coddle industries . . .". I wish to thoroughly support all the comments published above. The book, "More Guns, Less Crime", written by Professor John Lott, of an Eastern University (Yale, I believe) I saw discussed recently on C-SPAN and I recommend it at every opportunity. The conclusion, more guns, less crime, is based upon research done in all 3054 US Counties, and is an eye opener. And I would add, if there had been only one individual in the area at VT, not earlier brainwashed by touchy-feely liberal misconceptions and had had the testicles to have obtained a concealed-carry permit, along with the armament (should this not have been possible in the area, move somewhere it is), where there may be a more responsible, realistic outlook about life. Then no one could argue that of the several options then available with this scenario, the damage might have been minimized. There really are too many really evil individuals around. Read the book, you too Ann Richards. Had you done so, one of your options might have been you would have been a two time Govenor of Texas. Gary Hall, (worked for Chesty Puller, 50-51), I carry guns and enjoy their company, damn little else. Tyler, TX

003XXMarineDAD
04-18-07, 02:06 PM
You like Michel Morre, Al Franken, Bill Mahar , Roise O'Donnell.
Truth sayers all.:sick:

jetdawgg
04-18-07, 02:17 PM
I like the truth no matter who or where it comes from. It most certainly has not been coming from here:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/foxiraqcivilwar.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/foleyD.jpghttp://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/jetdawgg/2001883825464813443_rs.jpg

See for yourself. These are not photoshopped. Direct screen shots from the FOX Noise Channel. Not even close to 'fair and balanced' These are outright lies at worst and extremely misleading and dangerous at best.

003XXMarineDAD
04-18-07, 02:23 PM
The airing of our Troops being shot by the sniper viedo that CNN put on air .
Also CNN putting out the name of the one shot before the family had been notified by the Army and proper channels.
:mad:

jetdawgg
04-18-07, 02:30 PM
The airing of our Troops being shot by the sniper viedo that CNN put on air .
Also CNN putting out the name of the one shot before the family had been notified by the Army and proper channels.
:mad:

Again my Jarhead brother CNN is not as extreme as FOX. CNN is not 'liberal'.
The media is not liberal. If that were the case you would see the bodies of the troops as they arrive in coffins.

You would see the carnage in Iraq of the Iraqis...

Sgt Leprechaun
04-19-07, 05:01 AM
First, I happen to like Michelle Malkin, she makes a lot of sense. And, it's the truth. Name any university of the major universities out there that would support real debate on this issue. Or, support an armed student body, or the option to do so if they wanted. I'd venture to say, the answer would be slim, and none.

As far as Fox goes, I'll trust them far more than I'd trust the so called "mainstream" media, thank you very much. Are they slanted? Sure. Do they admit it? Sure. That's all I ask in a media outlet. Don't try to tell me you are unbiased while you stand there spouting off some left wing twaddle, or the right wing party line. Either is fine, but the choice is ultimately mine, to change the channel.

The media is NOT liberal????? Exactly what is the air like on your planet pal?

The media doesnt' show those coffins coming in because they are prohibited from doing so for the most part. And, it's not something I need to see, quite frankly.

Furthermore, since when hasn't the media shown Iraqi vs Iraqi? Heck, that seems to be ALL they are showing here of late.

Lastly, I saw no 'outright' lies on those screenshots. Libby was, in fact, found NOT guilty of lying to the FBI. His conviction was of perjury, which is lying under oath in court. The foley screen shot I don't get, we know that guy is a scumbag, what's your point? The 'civil war' quote is followed by a question mark, meaning, in the Kings English, they are asking a question, it's not being presented as fact.

You want to be liberal? Fine. Drink the kool aide. Just don't expect me to take a sip and go toddlin down liberal lane with ya.

fmoyer
04-19-07, 02:58 PM
I don't watch any of them they drive me nuts, but since my wife will only watch fox it must be the best one because she is always right. he tells me this all the time so after 35 years I know she is right. bcause she told me so.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-19-07, 03:06 PM
Fmoyer, I have always found that to be the best policy as well.

drumcorpssnare
04-19-07, 03:12 PM
Hey guys...whenever my wife says something I don't want to listen to, I just tell her, "Don't talk." (Jokingly, of course) But ya know what...it works!:banana:
drumcorpssnare:usmc: