PDA

View Full Version : An Intemperate And Insensitive Question

thedrifter
04-17-07, 09:08 AM
Boortz: "AN INTEMPERATE AND INSENSITIVE QUESTION"
Nealz Nuze ^ | Tuesday - April 17, 2007 | Neal Boortz

AN INTEMPERATE AND INSENSITIVE QUESTION

After the first shooting on the Virginia Tech campus yesterday police were notified that the shooter was Asian. Then several Asian students on the campus were detained as the police looked for the shooter. Now tell me ... wasn't that racial profiling? If it wasn't, 'splain why not!

Ellie

jetdawgg
04-17-07, 09:13 AM
Ellie in a way I can see how that can be viewed a racial profiling. I think that this police team was more like the "Keystone Cops".

Racial profiling would be an effort for them. I just can't believe the incompetency here. The shooter knew that those students would not have guns to shoot back so he went to reload while the "Keystone Cops" just grabbed any/every Asian Male.

Just a pure tragedy here.

thedrifter
04-17-07, 09:22 AM
Ellie in a way I can see how that can be viewed a racial profiling. I think that this police team was more like the "Keystone Cops".

Racial profiling would be an effort for them. I just can't believe the incompetency here. The shooter knew that those students would not have guns to shoot back so he went to reload while the "Keystone Cops" just grabbed any/every Asian Male.

Just a pure tragedy here.

;) Agree!

Ellie

bigdog43701
04-17-07, 09:35 AM
ok folks here we go again...yes it is a tragedy, however you were not there.

isn't that what people are doing to our brothers at Pendelton and MCSOC? passing judgement BEFORE all the facts are know.

David Jameson
04-17-07, 09:50 AM
So what if they did.

killerinstinct
04-17-07, 10:14 AM
well.... considering its an engineering school......its going to be mostly asian

just like when you call a company you expect to speak to someone in india name tom

YLDNDN6
04-17-07, 10:26 AM
If I were to commit a crime such as that and they described me as a white (though I am a light skinned Native American) guy, 6 feet tall, in a black Marines hat, and they corralled every tall white guy in a Marines hat, that wouldn't be racial profiling...how does that work??? Do you have to be an obvious ethnic minority in order to claim profiling? Although in this case, at VA Tech, I don't think it could be considered racial profiling, because the authorities had probable cause to stop and search/question asians during that particular time frame. Now, if they begin to stop and search/question asians after this, then I can see a case for profiling. This is confusing, to say the least...does the ACLU consider whites as Americans with civil liberties too???

maverickmarine
04-17-07, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=killerinstinct]well.... considering its an engineering school......its going to be mostly asian

Now that's racial right there but I am right there with ya on it. LOL.

yeah, I think if they got good intel that the shooter was asian then it makes sense. However, working in Austin when I get calls to the UT campus, I have to work with UTPD and I have to say I wouldn't want them securing the area if that went down again here. It would seem that the University Police are those that can't be Police elsewhere so I would say "Keystone Cops", probably applies.

Overall though, it's a horrible thing period and some things are just going to catch you unprepared. It's how you respond that makes the difference.

marinegreen
04-17-07, 10:31 AM
Enough already peeps ! I'm noticing more and more on here that radical right and left wingers think there 100% correct. I mean when your a left winger its that way and no way at all and same goes for the right wingers, shheeeeessshhh starting to think there's a bunch of brainwashed sheep on here, the farmer has taken you to the green pastures to feast on and he heards you home and thats the only way you know, FREE YOUR MINDS......You dont have to agree with your particular party all the time, its ok to voice a different opoinion now and then you know....Do what I do,hate em all and that way you can say whats on your own mind and not what politians tells you to say......
MG

10thzodiac
04-17-07, 10:37 AM
When I was getting out of the Corps in Lejeune in summer of '65, there was this PFC that I befriended. He was from Hawaii and of pure Okinawan heritage and confided in me because my wife was Japanese, that he was afraid to go to Vietnam. He was worried he looked too much like the enemy, and feared he'd be fair game for both sides.

I hope he made it through okay !

killerinstinct
04-17-07, 10:55 AM
[quote=killerinstinct]well.... considering its an engineering school......its going to be mostly asian

Now that's racial right there but I am right there with ya on it. LOL.

yeah, I think if they got good intel that the shooter was asian then it makes sense. However, working in Austin when I get calls to the UT campus, I have to work with UTPD and I have to say I wouldn't want them securing the area if that went down again here. It would seem that the University Police are those that can't be Police elsewhere so I would say "Keystone Cops", probably applies.

Overall though, it's a horrible thing period and some things are just going to catch you unprepared. It's how you respond that makes the difference.

HAHA thats true with most cops

10thzodiac
04-17-07, 11:08 AM
Enough already peeps ! I'm noticing more and more on here that radical right and left wingers think there 100% correct. I mean when your a left winger its that way and no way at all and same goes for the right wingers, shheeeeessshhh starting to think there's a bunch of brainwashed sheep on here, the farmer has taken you to the green pastures to feast on and he heards you home and thats the only way you know, FREE YOUR MINDS......You dont have to agree with your particular party all the time, its ok to voice a different opoinion now and then you know....Do what I do,hate em all and that way you can say whats on your own mind and not what politians tells you to say......
MG

Be suspicious what other people want for you !

In my minds eye, I believe my mind is somewhat (90%) free. Knowing everything is a big fcuking lie helps :D

crate78
04-17-07, 06:31 PM
If someone driving a blue mid 90's Buick robs a bank, don't the LEO's look for blue mid 90's Buicks on the possibility that one of them might be the right one?

I don't see it as racial profiling, just routine police work.

crate

10thzodiac
04-17-07, 06:40 PM
If someone driving a blue mid 90's Buick robs a bank, don't the LEO's look for blue mid 90's Buicks on the possibility that one of them might be the right one?

I don't see it as racial profiling, just routine police work.

crate

Excellent comeback Sarge, I'm going to remember what you said, a classic on racial profiling http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Also, there will always be that smart perpetrator that will use this to their advantage and those in law enforcement that will abuse it...

semperfi170
04-17-07, 06:45 PM
I also believe the police were right in using the description. Any of you remember the Texas Tower shootings? After it was over, you better believe Marines were profiled, especially those in MECEP.

Zulu 36
04-17-07, 07:05 PM
When all you have to work with is "Asian male," what do you expect? Were I an "Asian male" there, I would happily be handcuffed, searched, and trooped off some place safe by armed police officers who would protect me from the real bad guy. Once the dust settled, I'd be out the door, probably with an apology and a thanks for cooperating.

Believe me, the cops who put the temporary gleep on "Asian male" me would remember me later if I gave them sh*t when they were already in sh*t up to their necks. They'll also remember me if I quietly went along with the program. Which memory would I prefer the police to have of me?

davblay
04-17-07, 11:13 PM
I also believe the police were right in using the description. Any of you remember the Texas Tower shootings? After it was over, you better believe Marines were profiled, especially those in MECEP.

Not to mention LEE HARVEY OZWALD!! Hell even Gunny Hartman talked about him!

ggyoung
04-18-07, 12:10 PM
Who in your area is doing the most crime? Go from there.

Eng
04-18-07, 12:39 PM
I am student here at Virginia Tech. I went through all this and we have been watching news coverage ever since it happened.

There was no racial profiling or any other kind of hate crime here. Although it must sucks to be that Asian guy whose face was shown all over news. They should have never shown him as he was later released.

Also, I can only imagine how tough it is for you guys in Iraq and what makes Marine Corps such a tigh knit community. Respect.

drumcorpssnare
04-18-07, 12:59 PM
Call it profiling if you want....but if I get a news flash that we have been invaded by Martians, I will stop and detain every single little green guy I see, if he has antennae stickin' out the top of his head!:yes:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

drumcorpssnare
04-18-07, 01:06 PM
[quote=semperfi170 Any of you remember the Texas Tower shootings?

Of course they're gonna profile Marines. You don't think an Army soldier could shoot like that, do ya?:D

bootlace15
04-18-07, 02:53 PM
this was a horrible thing that happened. I can't say there was a right way to get the word out I was'nt there to see what happened.

bootlace15 out

drumcorpssnare
04-18-07, 03:05 PM
On a serious note, my wife and I were discussing possible warning systems for schools/universities.

Doesn't need to be super-duper hi-tech. A thorough loud-speaker system in every single room (if need be) and outdoors on lightpoles, etc. Initially, a new and distinct siren warning, followed immediately with verbal instructions.

Heck, remember back during the Cold War, we had those drills where we had to get under our desks and face away from the windows, etc? So simple a 6 yr. old could do it. Leads me to believe a college student might be able to get it right.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-19-07, 05:06 AM
I like the idea of drills.

And, speaking as a long time copper, before you go slappin those guys and gals around, take a step back and recall YOUR first firefight...IF you've ever been in one.

In other words, until you've been there, quite frankly, you don't have a damn clue. You want to talk tactics, great. Let's talk. Questioning their courage, however, I will not stand for. I'd equate that to walking up to one of our brothers from Fallujah or the Anbar, looking them in the eye, and stating "Damn, you guys sure screwed the pooch there, didn't ya? If you would have had any stones, all those terrs would be dead by now".

Go ahead, if you are feeling brave, or stupid enough, and let me know how that scenario works out for ya.

killerinstinct
04-19-07, 08:16 AM
well like the governer of VA said you cant stop a man who is ready to give his life to murder someone, it gives him an edge.

Yes this was a tragedy they happen all the time. I dont really think any amount of preventive measures would have stopped him. Except the one of they should have locked down the whole campus and found him during the first shooting. no matter how much we wouuld like to make this world heaven it's just not gonna happen.

semperfi170
04-19-07, 08:48 AM
Well said Sgt Leprechaun!! I'm tired of the media and the loud mouth politicians throwing stones when they haven't even been there or done that. Thanks very a view from the law enforcement side and your additonal service in law enforcement.

drumcorpssnare
04-19-07, 09:01 AM
I'd like to ramble for a moment on the topic of "random shooters."
First of all, I think we can pretty much agree...these people are insane. They don't fall under quite the same heading as a murderer who kills a family member. There is "something else" wrong with someone who indescriminately kills total strangers, in numbers.
We can only guess why they do it. But, the bottom line is, that they think they will succeed in their "mission."
Therefore, if we, the populace....the police, school administrators, the students, etc. can impliment a plan that dramatically narrows the shooter's chances of success, he will know this "going in." Now, he has lost some of his 'edge.'
Take for instance, my earlier suggestion. A specific siren warning...loud, short, rapid (woop, woop, woop, woop...) understood nationwide to mean-
"Random Shooter" or "Rampage Shooter". Immediately, any and all potential victims seek cover behind locked doors. Police, security, and authority figures take action, etc.
When the shooter hears this siren, he knows that everyone else knows. He has lost his element of surprise. He may panic, and attempt to flee, or just end it quickly by suicide.
I'm not suggesting this is the best or only answer, but if something like this were to be implemented, wouldn't it tend to minimize the death and destruction in a "rampage shooting"?

jetdawgg
04-19-07, 09:51 AM
These warning systems work. They are deployed in places like Ft. Bragg for the Army. They can easily be deployed in colleges and universities.

The warning systems have extra ordinary ranges today. These systems can actually have voice applied to them so that the audience knows exactly what the danger is and maybe even know where the danger area is.

PM this Marine for assistance with these systems:usmc:

OLE SARG
04-19-07, 10:29 AM
ok folks here we go again...yes it is a tragedy, however you were not there.

isn't that what people are doing to our brothers at Pendelton and MCSOC? passing judgement BEFORE all the facts are know.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Bigdog!!!!!!!!!!!

It ****es me the **** off when some who, see previous post, calls the Campus Police Dept "the Keystone Cops".
You weren't ****ing there AND you don't know these people - keep insensitive remarks to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with Crate on the above. 10thZ, you are right, that is good police work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

marinegreen
04-19-07, 10:38 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with you Bigdog!!!!!!!!!!!

It ****es me the **** off when some who, see previous post, calls the Campus Police Dept "the Keystone Cops".
You weren't ****ing there AND you don't know these people - keep insensitive remarks to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with Crate on the above. 10thZ, you are right, that is good police work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

DITTO & DITTO !!
:yes: MG

jetdawgg
04-19-07, 10:41 AM
Have you ever been to VT? I have been to the Citidel also. The training that these Police obtain is nowhere capable of managing a situation like this.

Clearly they were over matched. 32 dead makes a large statement.

You don't have to Sherlock Holmes to figure that out. Having come from NYC where 2000 or so murders, many with guns, used to be common occurence before mayor Guiliani I can see a stark difference in the procedures for managing one gunman.:usmc:

killerinstinct
04-19-07, 10:42 AM
These warning systems work. They are deployed in places like Ft. Bragg for the Army. They can easily be deployed in colleges and universities.

The warning systems have extra ordinary ranges today. These systems can actually have voice applied to them so that the audience knows exactly what the danger is and maybe even know where the danger area is.

PM this Marine for assistance with these systems:usmc:

you mean the old air raid systems???

the first time i hear d that was on sept 11 when the bases started going up in threatcons to delta... prolly the wierdest moment and they werent allowing anyone off and ID's were being checked my duties just crazy.....a very surreal day

outlaw3179
04-19-07, 10:56 AM
I saw on tv today , that after the first girl killed the "person of interest" was her boyfriend. He had just dropped her off, a person who lived by her said , recently the two had been to a firing range . One of the reasons why they didnt close the entire campus down was because they believed this crime to be an isolated instance . A domestic dispute gone deadly. Hindsight 20/20 it wasnt . I dont believe that they knew it was an asian kid right off the bat. Maybe then things would have been different.

jetdawgg
04-19-07, 10:57 AM
you mean the old air raid systems???

the first time i hear d that was on sept 11 when the bases started going up in threatcons to delta... prolly the wierdest moment and they werent allowing anyone off and ID's were being checked my duties just crazy.....a very surreal day

They are greatly enhanced these days.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-19-07, 02:19 PM
I've got friends in Blacksburg and I've been past the VT campus. And, been to the Citadel as well. The point being...what, exactly? I've walked the fields of Gettysburg, Antietam, Bataan, Wake...

Zulu 36
04-19-07, 02:56 PM
I agree with Sgt L that the only statement that can be drawn was a determined killer was at work.

To claim the VT police were overmatched was to make the same claim about the New York Fire Department on 9/11.

If the VT police were "so good" how come 32 people got killed? If the FDNY was "so good" how come they didn't get the fires out at the WTC and prevent the collapse?

Both were cases of determined killers succeeding in their self-imposed missions in a manner designed to prevent successful interference by the authorities. Period.

To me, 32 dead citizens or 3,000 dead citizens means an ugly, ugly crime scene.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-19-07, 03:03 PM
Amen, Zulu.