PDA

View Full Version : Hey Poolees!

ktriplett
02-27-03, 08:45 PM
Today, I had a conversation with a fellow poolee. It seems he's been having doubts and is looking for an excuse to quit. I did what I could to motivate him, and I think it helped. But it got me thinking, kind of worrying. The poolees at my RSS have become my friends, and I don’t want to see any of them fail. And here on this site, I haven’t seen any of you, but I’ve talked with some of you and I see you're motivated and I don’t want to see any you fail either.
You guys are out there, preparing to ship out and you might begin to have some doubts and face some negativity. While I understand that this is at times hard to face, you've got to remember not what you're doing, but why. I know you had a reason for signing those papers. The day at MEPS, you went through and came out all fired up ready to join the Corps. After all, no one would go through a day like that just for fun. In time though, that may fade, especially if you're in the DEP for an extended period of time. When it does, it's got to be replaced by something. That something is the motivation you'll get from seeing your recruiters on a regular basis, and attending your poolee functions. Remember that what you're doing is far greater than the summer job you might have, or the girlfriend you make out with in the car, etc... Attend those functions. Discuss your doubts and fears with other your recruiters, or other poolees. Motivate them and let them motivate you. Just don't give up. You’ve taken the first step by signing the papers. See it through.
Forgive my rambling...it's been a long day.

Sixguns
02-27-03, 08:58 PM
I have said this in previous posts....well, here it is again.

If you can make a commitment to the Corps and then quit or break your promise, what will be the next challenge you back down from? Failing to fulfill your obligation is proof that you can not keep your word, or essentially, not be trusted. Think what you want, but you are a quitter and everyone else will know you are too.

I usually find or meet these people in a bar. They give themselves away when they say, "You know, I almost joined the Marine Corps..."

wrbones
02-27-03, 09:31 PM
Damn! Good post Ktriplett! I don't think it can be said better than that!

Red Dragon
02-28-03, 11:12 AM
You sign the papers, you go or you don't go. If you have it in your heart to be a Marine, than you become a Marine. If you don't have it, than you become something else. Nobody can talk you and/or force you to become a Marine.

Red Dragon aka HL

eddief
03-04-03, 08:32 AM
Joining the Corps is serious business. It's not like most other jobs where you can quit if you don't like it. If someone is having serious doubts even before they step on those yellow footprints, then maybe they should consider doing something else. I say do what is best for yourself. Your parents, teachers, or recruiters can't tell you this. Only you can decide what your life path is going to be. I wish all the poolees the best and may God bless you and keep you.

Soon2BkidTx
03-06-03, 06:21 AM
Well I was having a doubt....but it was more leaning towards being a failure.....but i have it in me to be a Marine....i try and keep a positive attitude.....I mean tell your friend thats having doubts, its normal to be a lil afriad before boot....and tell him, "Only yourself can make you quit." great advice from my Dad and two Cousins how are Former Marines...

And once your friend gets there.....and the tough reallly gets tough....Well just tell him to keep his eye on the prize at the end of the road at boot, and there are Former, Active, and Reserve Marines that have been threw boot, and other Recruits are doing the same thing he is, and if they all can do it...So can he....Just keep a positive attitude.......

Good Luck to all the Poolees...

JDCMARINE
03-09-03, 07:57 PM
I,personally, can't wait to go to boot camp. I'm looking forward to the cruicble and getting my rifle. ktriplett, tell your fellow poolee to hold on, and go for the prize. And please post the results.

03-11-03, 10:52 AM
Everyone gets nervouse and has doubts sometimes...Back in June when I depped in I was all cocky and stuff, now that I only have 3 months left Im starting to get a little nervouse. Sice I signed up my friends and family have been telling me Im not gonna make it, I cant wait to see the look on thier faces when they see me in uniform. Thats my motivation, now Im goin for 2 reasons, to be a Marine and to prove all those a**holes wrong.

Red Dragon
03-11-03, 12:43 PM
Like I have said many times before, if it is in you, you will make it thru Boot Camp and join our ranks as a United States Marine. It is not in you than you will become something else. We Marines are a rare breed, it is not the uniform, it is that special spirit inside each and every Marine.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HER MARINES.

Red Dragon aka HL

firstsgtmike
03-11-03, 02:39 PM
When someone tells you that you can't do it, that you'll never make it... what they are really saying is:

1. You're not as good as I am.

OR

2. I hope you fail, because if you don't, you'll make me look bad.

ME? I'd show him up and laugh in his face.

YOU? ???

leroy8541
03-11-03, 06:53 PM
I arrived at mcrd a pork chop ,when the officers reviewed our MOS's I had a Lt. tell me I'd never make it because I was a fat body. Well I never got to thank him for those words of encouragement, graduated top of the class in ITS, went on to be in security forces came back to the grunts as a corporal busted chops, my squad won division supersqad, went to sniper school then on to a glorious career in recon. 10 yrs in the grunts!! If he hadn't said that I may have washed out!! Don't EVER tell a MARINE they can't do something. It was said it would take years and a million Marines to take Okinawa in reality it took 3 months to completely take it at the cost of 5000 marines.

03-12-03, 09:02 AM
Had my first encounter with some Di's last night. The recruiters organized a kind of family thing for us and had some DI's there to PT the h*ll out of us for ten minutes. Man that was a long ten minutes. Now that I have a little idea of what it's really like I'll be training alot more.

Soon2BkidTx
03-12-03, 12:29 PM
dont think about time Avatar......not to be mean...but if you thought 10mins was hard....yea take your advice you need to train alot more....I have been working out with Sgt. Land, a Force Recon waiting for orders in Houston, Tx....We do two adays since im leaving pretty soon (within the next 3 weeks)...from 8am to 1130am, and then again at 2 pm to 4 pm...for the last week i have been sore from head to toe...but its good for me...and i love it....My adivce for you....I already know you have what it takes...hell every1 has balls just for joing the Marines, the best of the best.....take what you did in those 10 mins, and do it over and over and over again lasting at least for 2 hours a day and add pushups, situps, and pullups over and over again till you wanna pass out...throwing up is good for you too, it shows your pushing yourself to you limits, and thats what it take...110% at all time..just dont ever let up...and ask your recruitor about the Marine diet....

Like I said, every poolee, has enlisted for many reasons....but the first reason, is to earn the title to be called a Marine....the other reasons you have, keep them positive and dont ever let up....

Good luck you every Poolee including myself....lol....and Ktriplett, how you holdin up? when you leave?

JChristin
03-12-03, 01:45 PM
Just wondering...

What is it that every poolee wants more than anything?

Just a question.

semper fi
jchristin

ktriplett
03-12-03, 02:53 PM
soon2b: I'm doing great. I am not sure I could get any more excited! Physically, while there's always room for improvement, I'm in a good position. Mentally, at least based on all the knowledge we're supposed to know before we go, I'm ready. I leave on April 7.

jchristin: I want my life to be a success. I want to make a difference. I don't want to be a ripple, I want to be a wave. As a poolee, I want, more than anything, to succeed in becoming a Marine.

22DevilPup87
03-12-03, 03:49 PM
ktriplett - I know that date is coming up fast. Keep us posted between now and then.

wrbones
03-12-03, 04:01 PM
ktriplett's gunna be Hard Corps!

He'll be CMC one of these days! :D

Soon2BkidTx
03-12-03, 05:08 PM
Ktriplett...you answered that question perfectly.....you will do good bro...just never let up on ounce of engergy....kick of butt...lol..cant say the a word.....

About me Krtiplett...physically, lol, always improvemt....but im finally under 200 pounds....lost 15 pounds so far in DEPs which i have been in for only about a month...Run my 1.5mile under 13 now in which i was running it in 14mins, and now im up two 8 pullups both ways, when i could only do 5 before....but im improving and i have about 3 weeks left before i go...and im working out 4 hours aday and two adays with Sgt Land, Force Recon....so ill improve more before i leave and once i get there..

Mentally- im stoked about leaving, i really cant wait at all....This is totally the best thing for any civilian to do with their life....so many things you acheive and get just coming out of Boot....Seriously words cant explain how i feel.....i just cant wait....

ktriplett
03-12-03, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the confidence, guys. It's very motivating.

soon2b: great job, bro. You're getting there, and you'll do great!

JChristin
03-17-03, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by ktriplett

I'm ready. I leave on April 7.

jchristin: I want my life to be a success. I want to make a difference. I don't want to be a ripple, I want to be a wave. As a poolee, I want, more than anything, to succeed in becoming a Marine.

If becoming a Marine is number One, everything else will fall into place. You will make a difference in someone's life. It just may not be any of your business who that person (or people) may be. I've been trying to pull this answer out for sometime! Finally! Ya got it right! I'm proud of you. OOOOH RAH!

semper fi
jchristin

:banana: :marine: :banana:

wrbones
03-17-03, 01:10 AM
I'm hard on them, but I want them to get it right for all of the right reasons.

There's some folks like ktriplett runnin' around here who've listened some little bit. :D

I'm proud of them!

If they stay the course and don't get the big heads, they'll do us all proud!

young_dog19
03-21-03, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by JChristin
Just wondering...

What is it that every poolee wants more than anything?

Just a question.

semper fi
jchristin

The title of "Marine." I am the 1st generation of my family to join the Marines.
Of course, my real answers should be: Challenge and a chance to change myself for the better.

03Infantry
03-21-03, 09:15 PM
Being called a Marine is all anyone could want

young_dog19
03-22-03, 11:55 AM
That's right.

Oh yeah, by the by, I met a Drill Instructor from San Diego a couple of weeks ago who gave us a "demonstation." I was one of the lucky few who got to participate. My eyes got aquaintted with the back of the person behind me.

03Infantry
03-22-03, 01:06 PM
We had that at our recruiting station once. The same happened to me

young_dog19
03-22-03, 01:11 PM
It was great. Let's just say I still have no clue what is going to happen in boot camp. I know he was being much easier on us than his real recruits.

Osotogary
03-22-03, 01:34 PM
I just had my truck washed by a group of JROTC young men and young ladies. What a great bunch of young people. What is more refreshing was the attitude of the adult organizers and co-ordinators; they are both US Army (retired). They stressed academics and physical training and gave enough leeway to those who wished to enter other Armed Services. In other words they were there to help all for the benefit of all. That was quite refreshing.
I met a couple of the JROTC folks who wanted to join the Marines. It's kind of funny that they never heard of Leatherneck.com. They do now and it will be to their benefit. Maybe they will post onto this site and keep the moderators busy.
My best to all.
Gary

young_dog19
03-22-03, 01:42 PM
hear that bones!? more people asking questions like the rest of us! Hooray!

Osotogary
03-22-03, 01:54 PM
In the immortal words of one who is very dear to me. "Dad. Parris Island is a blank-blank place but it serves a purpose. Nothing can truly prepare you for it."
Good luck to one and all.
Gary

03Infantry
03-22-03, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah. It was nothing like what bootcamp will be. YOur dad is right. We know nothing of what bootcamp will be like. It is something to look forward to

JChristin
03-22-03, 02:28 PM
It's even better looking back at!

semper fi,
jchristin

03Infantry
03-22-03, 02:40 PM
What was your favorite part Lance Corporal?

MarineMP02
03-22-03, 03:02 PM
hey guys, i was in the dep program for a while until i had alot of **** happen (medical mostly). I ended up not leaving for boot camp and i regret it so much. But, i know that I am going to try to go back in whenever i can. All i want in this lifetime is to earn the title of Marine. To all the people that are Marines, I look up to you and know that I'll be there with ya'll soon. OORAH MARINES

wrbones
03-22-03, 03:04 PM
I'm gettin' ready to come down on some of these kids, Osotogary. Some of them are startin' to get goofy on me.

Enthusiasm is good, damn foolishness ain't.

JChristin
03-22-03, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by 03Infantry
What was your favorite part Lance Corporal?

being served breakfast in bed by my SDI everymorning. :banana: :yes: :banana:

semper fi
jchristin

JChristin
03-22-03, 04:22 PM
okay, just had to poke a little fun at someone. The television set hasn't seen this much duty since I bought it 6 or 7 years ago. Had to turn the tube off.

My favorite part of boot?

That's a hard one. Looking back at it through a different pair of glasses - the glasses of hindsight rather than foresight, repelling really scared the $hit right out of me. Then I did it, my SDI screaming at me all the way. Looking downward at the ground below, it appeared to be sooooo far down. I was ready to walk away and say to "hell" with it. There were tears building in my eyes - I was soooo scared. But my SDI was standing right there, infront of me, I had no where to turn - but you guess it - downward. No time to show fear with the SDI standing infront of you. I "let" go of the fear and did it.

It was so easy, my head telling me all the time it was going to be hard. I always thought she hated me as she was so short and I am so tall. It seemed as if she really "barked" at me from the moment she saw me. More than the other privates. However, my SDI truly instilled a spine of steel within my backbone. It ain't rusted yet!

It was my SDI who taught me one valuable lesson as a Woman Marine:

"I can go anywhere, at anytime, meet any condition and meet any cause, and do anything that is required - alone if called upon - and to do so better than any male Marine"

Now, before any of you male Marines think I am "male" bashing I'm not. SSGT. Amy Price turned this former "fu-fu" girl into a woman who possesses abilities and confidence, skills and determination, poise and pride in being a woman - and most of all - an inner strength few can know. All things I lacked prior to my arrival at Parris Island the resort for Marines. These are the attributes that came home with me afterwards and which I continue to build upon. If I can give this insight to just one other hope-to-be Marine (female or male) of what follows you after the Marine Corps, this may be part of it.

semper fi,
jchristin

firstsgtmike
03-22-03, 05:37 PM
jchristin,

"It was my SDI who taught me one valuable lesson as a Woman Marine: "I can go anywhere, at anytime, meet any condition and meet any cause, and do anything that is required - alone if called upon - and to do so better than any male Marine"

I DISAGREE!

What should have been stressed, and remembered was:

"It was my SDI who taught me one valuable lesson "I can go anywhere, at anytime, meet any condition and meet any cause, and do anything that is required - alone if called upon - because I am a Marine."

Semper Fi

JChristin
03-22-03, 05:58 PM
well said firstsgtmike!

tip me cover to you!

was waiting another Marine to take a bite at the bait!

think we have developed a new marketing slogan for the good old USMC. Good old fashion team work with a common cause.

guess I'm ready to go anywhere, and meet any...

semper fi,
jchristin

03Infantry
03-22-03, 06:43 PM
Start by trying to memorize like 2 or three of them. When you have those memorized memorize 2 more and do that until you get through all of them. It helps so you don't have to memorize everything at once. Also make sure you review the ones you already know to keep them fresh. I hope everything I said makes some sense because it sounds counfusing.

ktriplett
03-22-03, 06:45 PM
I did it by memorizing one in the morning then one in the evening. When I could recite all eleven, I started testing myself by putting the numbers (out of order) down on a piece of paper, and writing them from memory. Writing something down is always helpful.

03Infantry
03-22-03, 07:58 PM
Study at every time.........even in the bathroom