PDA

View Full Version : Family of Iraq vet disputes VA suicide report

thedrifter
04-17-07, 07:31 AM
Family of Iraq vet disputes VA suicide report
By Steve Karnowski - The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Apr 16, 2007 21:52:48 EDT

PRIOR LAKE, Minn. — Family and friends of a Marine who committed suicide after his return from Iraq said they “respectfully disagree” with a report that cleared the St. Cloud VA Medical Center, but they don’t plan to sue or seek another investigation.

Jonathan Schulze’s family has maintained he told hospital staff twice that he was suicidal in the days before he hanged himself in New Prague on Jan. 16, but was turned away.

However, a report by the Department of Veterans Affairs earlier this month concluded there was no evidence of that, and that the record was in fact “diametrically opposed” to the family’s claims.

Family friend Robert Herubin told reporters Monday they “respectfully disagree,” but he declined to address the specifics of the report issued April 7 by the VA’s Office of the Medical Inspector.

Schulze had made at least 40 visits to the VA hospital in Minneapolis, where doctors diagnosed him with post-traumatic stress disorder, the report said. But it said mental health workers at the St. Cloud hospital told investigators Schulze never mentioned suicide to them, and they would have taken it seriously if he had.

“The report and story has been whether something was, or was not, said,” Herubin said. “The real issue is: Jonathan finally made the decision to change his life and get the help he needed. He made a commitment to become a good dad, and he packed his bags. Irregardless, he was put on a waiting list and was turned away.”

A spokeswoman for the St. Cloud hospital referred calls to the VA in Washington, where spokesman Matt Burns declined to comment.

Schulze’s mother and stepfather, Eileen and John Carlson, joined Herubin at a news conference at the Prior Lake Veterans of Foreign Wars post, where Schulze was a life member. His father and stepmother, Jim and Marianne Schulze, were unable to attend, Herubin said.

They said they’re now trying to move forward. They announced they have begun setting up the Jonathan Schulze “I Can’t Hear You” Foundation, using a favorite Marine phrase, to reach out to returning veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.

“So his death isn’t for nothing,” Eileen Carlson said. “I’m hoping that at least we will be able to help other people. I want to not only help other veterans, but I want to help their parents, too. Because I wish I would have had a better understanding of PTSD when I was going through this with Jonathan.”

Herubin, who said he got no hint when he spoke to Schulze about two weeks before his death that he was contemplating suicide, said the name of the foundation refers to the need to pay closer attention to what veterans might not be saying. He said it will work with service organizations to set up a mentoring program that will include elements of Big Brothers, Big Sisters and Alcoholics Anonymous.

Eric Satersmoen said he was best friends with Schulze when they fought in Fallujah in 2004.

“Every day there was some type of combat. ... Basically it was a lot of urban warfare, door to door, losing a lot of friends, a lot of carnages, everyday war, I guess you would say,” Satersmoen said.

Satersmoen said he, too, was diagnosed with PTSD and is getting counseling through the VA. He said he “most definitely” believes the foundation can make a difference.

Schulze’s family and friends also announced plans for a benefit for Schulze’s daughter, Kaley, and soon-to-be-born son, Jonathan Jr. It will be at the Prior Lake VFW on May 19.

Donations for Schulze’s children can be sent to “Kaley and Jonathan Schulze” while donations to the foundation can be sent to “Operation Jonny Schulze,” both in care of Wells Fargo Bank, 16817 Duluth St. SE, Prior Lake, MN 55372.

Ellie