PDA

View Full Version : A Disarmed Campus

thedrifter
04-17-07, 06:53 AM
A Disarmed Campus
By John Tabin
Published 4/17/2007 12:43:46 AM

In January 2006, Virginia Delegate Todd Gilbert introduced House Bill 1572, which was meant to guarantee, with a few exceptions, that students with concealed handgun permits would be allowed to carry guns on college campuses. The bill died in subcommittee later that month. Like many schools, Virginia Tech had a policy prohibiting guns on campus, and Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker expressed pleasure at the bill's defeat. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions," said Hincker, "because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

As we all know by now, the gun ban didn't insure safety. Virginia Tech was the site of the worst shooting spree in American history yesterday. Thirty-two people are dead -- not including the shooter, who committed suicide -- and at least fifteen are injured. Mightn't a law-abiding armed student might have stopped the spree in its tracks? We'll never know.

Perhaps some school administrators still think that declaring a "gun-free zone" makes a campus safer; that was what legislators thought when they started passing gun bans at high schools in response to the late-'80s youth-crime spike. But it's likely that at the college level, fear of litigation plays a large role in shaping such policies. No school or business has been successfully sued following an on-site incident involving a gun, but according to David Kopel, director of the Second Amendment Project at the Independence Institute, "that doesn't stop administrators from being scared." Kopel notes that big business is afflicted by the same lawsuit-paranoia. "If you look in these corporate counsel manuals...you'll find these things all over the place, saying that you should adopt a no-guns policy so you don't get sued -- when there's really never been a case of a successful suit," says Kopel.

The irony, Kopel points out, is that Virginia Tech may have opened itself up to a lawsuit anyway. Two people were killed several hours before the rest of the victims, and many have complained that the school didn't warn people of the situation before the killing started again. "This interval and failure to warn, after having affirmatively disarmed them...I'm not a Virginia tort expert," says Kopel, "but that strikes me as a good start" for an enterprising litigator. Perhaps the reluctance to release the news flowed from the same central-command instincts that led administrators to disarm their students.

To gun control advocates, the failure of an anti-gun regulation just proves the need for more anti-gun regulations. The Brady Campaign's website had a newly designed "Donate Now" button referencing Virginia Tech almost immediately. It's worth asking, though, if guns aren't that different from information, and if it wouldn't be better to loosen control over both.

Ellie

drumcorpssnare
04-17-07, 07:18 AM
Remember the saying, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."? Well, more accurately..."Criminals kill people."
The key issue seems to me, to be the difference between a criminal with a gun, and a law abiding citizen with a gun.
The obvious reason for a criminal to have and use a gun, is to project power and control over others, for his gain. Socially, legally, and morally unacceptable, right?
And the obvious reason for a law abiding citizen to have and use a gun is to protect themselves (and others) from criminals who are projecting deadly force. Socially, legally, and morally acceptable, right?
Well you'd think so. I mean, this is simple. You don't need to be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist to figure this out.
If half of yesterday's victims had been armed, the attacker would have been out-gunned 22 to 1.
Think about it.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

thedrifter
04-17-07, 08:52 AM
Title 18 United States Code, U.S. Criminal Code PART I, CHAPTER 13, SECTION 242 Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;

and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

To a liberal, "feeling safe" is far more important than "being safe.";)

Ellie

Kegler300
04-17-07, 09:00 AM
Gun control isn't the answer. What do you think the outcome would've been if one of the school administrators or students that were lined up against the wall prior to their executions had a concealed handgun? Think there would have been fewer killings? Gun control does not take the guns out of the hands of the criminals; it only disarms law-abiding citizens making them easy prey for the criminal element.

killerinstinct
04-17-07, 09:11 AM
well ibet you if half those students were armed the ****er woulda been dead long before the second shooting spree.

Also, if someone deprives another the right to carry guns then they need to provide the protection to them no MATTER the cost...

People who kill people arent law abiding citizens and check their guns before entering campus....

thedrifter
04-17-07, 09:11 AM
Kegler300 100% agree with You!

Liberals create areas where a murderer knows he will be the only person holding a gun. Gun free zones leave the victims totally helpless and unable to defend themselves against violence. This is the reason the gun control lobby doesn’t put signs on their front lawn letting criminals know their home is gun free. The murderers should thank the gun control lobby for creating a safe environment where they can slaughter people without worrying about them fighting back.

Ellie

jetdawgg
04-17-07, 09:16 AM
I don't think that it is wise to leave it up to the Police to protect you from criminals. In the Corps the term "Police" is to clean up.

If a criminal thinks that you may have a gun he will pass to the next victim that he thinks doesn't. They are criminals not fools. They don't want to get hurt.

10thzodiac
04-17-07, 09:36 AM
I don't think that it is wise to leave it up to the Police to protect you from criminals. In the Corps the term "Police" is to clean up.

If a criminal thinks that you may have a gun he will pass to the next victim that he thinks doesn't. They are criminals not fools. They don't want to get hurt.

Sounds like Archie Bunker had it right after all. If you don't want hijackings (airplanes) give everybody on the plane a gun :D

jetdawgg
04-17-07, 09:40 AM
10Z, let me put it this way, no criminal is going to get away easily with me
http://www.tmalliance.com/uploads/006457/archie2.jpg

greensideout
04-17-07, 11:00 PM
[/B]

Sounds like Archie Bunker had it right after all. If you don't want hijackings (airplanes) give everybody on the plane a gun :D

That was one of my favorites! I think he said something like this---

"When everyone gets on the plane, issue them a rod. That way, when the highjacker pulls his rod everyone else will pull their's."

Made sense to me! :D

testforecho2112
04-17-07, 11:47 PM
Heinline said, "An armed society is a polite society; when a man has to back up what he says and does with his LIFE, he is more apt to think twice about his actions"

When people ask me why I carry CCW, I tell them, "its like a fire extinguisher...for people."

drumcorpssnare
04-18-07, 12:54 PM
When I lived in Wyoming (the Freedom State) I frequently wore my 1860 Army Colt, loaded, on my hip. No one gave me any funny looks. No grief. No hassles. Out there, it's at least "assumed" that if you're carrying...you'll use it if needed.
Only places I couldn't carry- in a courthouse; in a bank.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

003XXMarineDAD
04-21-07, 12:50 AM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u295/dparris/GunOwners.jpg

FistFu68
04-21-07, 01:20 AM
:evilgrin: I CRIED MY HEART OUT TO ALL EFFECTED.WHEN YOU OUTLAW GUNS ,ONLY OUTLAWS;WILL HAVE GUN'S???

HisSemperFiWife
04-29-07, 09:17 AM
Title 18 United States Code, U.S. Criminal Code PART I, CHAPTER 13, SECTION 242 Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both;

and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

To a liberal, "feeling safe" is far more important than "being safe."

Ellie

I LOVE THIS....
Now to find a band of GUTSY attorneys to uphold our laws !

What I find almost unbleievable is the parents who are sending their children BACK into this school (when there is no more protection now that there was a few weeks ago).... unarmed !!

I have a storefront in a historic Settler's Village and my fellow traders KNOW that I am *protected* for my sake and theirs if need be. :angel:

BTW our USMC Corporal son called from the sandbox to say HI. I got my Mother's Day gift early :usmc:

SepmerFiWife and Mom

OLE SARG
04-29-07, 10:17 AM
Wish I knew where I could get me a T-shirt like the one above!!!!! The back of it says it all!!!!!!!!! Although, the thing about the spoon should say "shovel" for her fatass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,