PDA

View Full Version : Any Regrets Joining The Marines?

mjcb23
04-16-07, 05:38 PM
I am about to join the marines and i was wondering if you guys have any regrets? Did you still keep in touch with your friends back home? Do you see your family often?

Lookin back would you still have made the choice to join the marines?

thanks

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-16-07, 06:17 PM
I didn't keep in touch with many friends- I think it was two to be exact and one of them was also a Marine. I once went over two years without making it home- and it took emergency leave to make it happen that time.

All that said, no regrets at all.

That said, you need to fill out your profile, read the rules, and remember to always capitalize the word Marine.

davecerami275
04-16-07, 06:32 PM
I am about to join the marines and i was wondering if you guys have any regrets? Did you still keep in touch with your friends back home? Do you see your family often?

thanks

no regrets whatsoever, would not change a thing.

kind of hard to keep in touch with the people i ran with in my high school years. 80% of them are either dead or in prison.

Soon2BeVIP
04-16-07, 07:08 PM
Haha this wouldn't really be the right website to go to if you want to talk to Marines that have regrets...

bigdog43701
04-16-07, 07:44 PM
absolutely NO REGRETS.would do it all over agin!

Marine84
04-16-07, 08:01 PM
Would do it again in a heart beat - no regrets whatsoever!

Kept in touch with a few people back home - my Mom still lives there and so do those few people and, yeah, I still keep in touch with them too. I try to go as often as I can stomach it - I LOVE going to see my Mom, I just HATE the little podunk town that I came from.

I went home a few years back and went shopping - the little fella that checked me out asked me "you don't live here do you?" - I asked how he could tell and he said they could always spot folks that didn't live there because they just had this "air" about them. I told him that was a good thing because I had then accomplished something since moving away from there.

It's hard going back after you leave - you find yet another reason why you left it to begin with.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-16-07, 08:24 PM
That is one thing I disagree with. I was happy as could be when I got back home. Being away from this place showed me what there was to love about it. North Carolina is nice and I loved the Stumps, but neither can come close to home.

mjcb23
04-16-07, 08:44 PM
How often do you get to go home?

semperfi170
04-16-07, 10:43 PM
Hey, how about filling out your profile?! Also, Marines is always capitalized!!!!

To answer your questions:

1) Regret getting out before 20 years. If they would let me, I'd sign up again in less than a microsecond!!!:usmc:

2) If home is close to where you are stationed, you will be able to get there on liberty when you have it. Otherwise, you have to take leave. Getting home also is affected by overseas tours and deployments.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-16-07, 11:01 PM
I guess you missed the part where I said I went two years without making it home. Simply put, your life is to be a Marine. If it works out for you to get home, then so be it. If not, then you won't.

davblay
04-16-07, 11:21 PM
Let my put it this way, I served two glorious years in the Corps. I was hurt in the NAM, then medically discharged because after 9 months in a hospital, I was "UNFIT FOR MILITARY DUTY". Yet I joined...

ssgtt32
04-17-07, 12:33 AM
NO! no regrets not for one single minute! BTDTGTT-S! (Been There Done That Got The T-Shirt) :marine:

Maurice

nsfdmedic
04-17-07, 05:07 AM
Never a regret, miss my friends i made in the corps, some are very difficult to locate. just remember and this is true. "once a Marine, always a Marine" this still holds true. For me no matter what i do now, some 15 years later i still tell people i'm a Marine, just no longer on active duty. Semper Fi.

chrisnica
04-17-07, 05:51 AM
Well, even though I haven't been in as long as my other fellow Marines in here I wouldn't change a thing. I have a couple of Marines working with me that say they want to get out after their four and never look back. Personally I think they will ergreat that decision more than joining up in the first place. Just because it hasn't really gone their way at the beginning doesn't mean that it is always going to be like that. For me, it has gone the way that I wanted up to this point. And if anything was to go wrong, Iwouldn't change my mind about joining. Plan is career, they call me a LIFER at the office, but that's ok with me.

:usmc:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-17-07, 10:47 AM
Most of us got out after four years. The vast majority of Marines do only one enlistment. We have other things we want to do in life. I never intended to stay in when I enlisted- that isn't what I wanted. But I would do it again in an instant.

YLDNDN6
04-17-07, 10:57 AM
No regrets, ever! And once earned, the title Marine opens doors for you in the future that no degree or civilian training could open for you.

killerinstinct
04-17-07, 11:12 AM

thanks

i kept in touch with friends but it slowly lost touch... I do speak to them every now and then but even with family... You will get those wh9o take leave once a month or fly home to see their family.. To me I spoke to mine once a month or so and did my 8 years and after my gunner retired i saw how hard it was for him to transition to civilian life and i decided i didn't want to have a harder time missing what i grew up in...

Im glad i was a punk little boy who thought he knew everything and was taught i was a punk lil boy who didnt know ****... But i have friends that i still keep in contact all of whom are from the military that i met and stuff some i lost touch with others got in touch with my current friends...

Bottom line is its a great thing and I miss my friends adn the good times and bad tiems with them..

It's truly a way to gain an insight to the world that no other will have unless they take the same route as i did.

1stRad2671
04-17-07, 04:00 PM
Best decision I ever made. The federal contract I was working on ended two weeks ago and yesterday I started back exactly where I was, but with Northrop Grumman making nearly six figure$ without a college education. :D

I made it home a few times (for X-mas) during the first half of my 5 years because I was in schools all that time. Then I got sent to Hawaii. I wouldn't have gone home once until EAS except for going to Airborne school at Ft. Benning and taking 10 days leave afterwards before heading back to Hawaii. And then it was nearly two years before my EAS. I wasn't about to spend $1000+ just to fly home.