PDA

View Full Version : 80-year-old called up to fight Iraq

thedrifter
02-27-03, 03:55 PM
Thursday, February 27, 2003 Posted: 10:35 AM EST (1535 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- An 80-year-old British pensioner has been called up by the Ministry of Defence for possible action in Iraq, the Sun newspaper reported on Thursday.

I'm used to rifles and machine guns, not missiles.
-- Joe Steer

If he went, it would be the first time Joe Steer had seen active service since the famous World War Two battle of El Alamein in Egypt in 1942, the paper said.

The call-up papers came in an official government envelope and ordered Steer to report to a training camp.

"I'm a bit past my prime," the Sun quoted him as saying. "It's too high-tech today. I'm used to rifles and machine guns, not missiles."

A ministry spokesman told the paper the call-up was due to an administrative error.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 Reuters.

Sempers,

Roger

God Bless Him.......

Super Dave
02-27-03, 10:10 PM
After 9/11/01 a local TV station was doing a story on the increase of calls at local recruiting stations. There was a Sgt. talking on the phone saying, Yes Sir..I have your information..If there is anything you can do..I will call you. The caller wanted to do something anything. He wanted to get back in the Corp and go fight. He was 72!! If anyone ever doubted..Once a Marine..Always a Marine..that should erase any doubt.

Semper Fi

wrbones
02-27-03, 10:15 PM
MrCobb is a member of this site. Fought as a Marine on Pelielu (sp).

Last I heard he was ready to put on a uniform and mount up. Personally, I would hate to be on the recieving end of his anger.

Sticky blue
03-03-03, 04:41 PM
On the news he said "If they need me that badly I'll go. As a RQMS (Regimental Quarter Master) I'm sure I would be of help. The equipment might have changed but a store is a store".

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog and he had a heart full of pride!